An Efficient Mining Design (HELP)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Wild Wail

Jul 29, 2019
I'm having trouble obtaining ores as I am very scarce in gold and copper. I'm using a strip mining turtle design that mines along with me in another tunnel. My tunnels are right below layer 16 (eye level). When looking at people just starting in their let's plays, they have tons and tons of ores. I was wondering if there is a special FTB mining tech there is that will find more ores like the layers in where I have to mine. The only resources I have are turtles. I'm thinking of using ic2 miners to help. I also don't want to get a quarry simply because they provide too much useless resources ( I already have two barrels full of cobble) and way too much mj. I was thinking of immediately jumping into rp2 tunnel bores. Anyways, need help getting a ton of ores!

Dark0_0firE

Jul 29, 2019
Bad news friend. They changed the ore distribution recently. Now the ores are generated at different levels. Like for instance copper is typically only found at heights 70-50 or so.
Do a search on Ore Heights to get a better idea of where to find them.

Wizaerd

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure I copied this from these forums, although I could be mistaken...

Minecraft Ore Levels

Copper: 40-75
Iron: 20-40 (+0-63)
Lead: 20-40
Silver: 15-35
Tin: 25-50
Diamonds: 0-16
Gold: 0-32
Ruby: 0-32
Sapphire: 0-32
Apatite: 16-88
Emerald: 4-32
Coal: 0-110

Dark0_0firE

Jul 29, 2019
Ya that looks about right. Now just add in...
Nikolite: 0-25ish
Xycromium and Infused Stone: Freakin Everywhere!

Dreossk

Jul 29, 2019
Go in a Twilight Forest hollow hill. You'll get so much gold you won't know what to do with it. Same with redstone, coal, iron, silver. It contains a lot of the other resources as well.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Indeed, first time in this game I've had a shortage of copper!
In the end I've had to have 3 branch mining areas, one at level 10, one at 20, and one at 40 (ish)

When I do find copper, it's usually only small deposits, quite annoying.

While, as mentioned, the XY ores (including Aluminium) are everywhere it's beyond a joke.

Reactions: bigj0n

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
BC Quarry- the absolute most efficient miner. You know you won't miss a single piece of anything!!
Well I suppose you could call that efficient...

In general I would define efficiency as the amount of [desired resource] mined per unit of time. At which the quarry is pretty poor. The only saving grace is how trivial it is to set up and move, and that it's fully automated - which means you can go do something else while the quarry very slowly fills your chests with cobblestone.

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
Quarries are fast as hell now if you give them enough power. The mining head moves at about the same speed a player can run. I run mine off 8 combustion engines and it flies. Of course there's a lot of setup getting a quarry to run off of 8 combustion engines ...

Edit: Yes, I know the difference between "efficient" and "thorough." If that's the only point you were making I apologize. :)

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Quarries are fast as hell now if you give them enough power. The mining head moves at about the same speed a player can run. I run mine off 8 combustion engines and it flies. Of course there's a lot of setup getting a quarry to run off of 8 combustion engines ...
... or one redstone cell.

And yes, I am definitely impressed by the ability to gather cobblestone at the player's running speed.

Reactions: arkangyl

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
Well I suppose you could call that efficient...

In general I would define efficiency as the amount of [desired resource] mined per unit of time. At which the quarry is pretty poor. The only saving grace is how trivial it is to set up and move, and that it's fully automated - which means you can go do something else while the quarry very slowly fills your chests with cobblestone.

Quarry is not slow unless you aren't feeding it enough power.

And it can't seem to dig up cobble as fast as I can use it!!

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
... or one redstone cell.

And yes, I am definitely impressed by the ability to gather cobblestone at the player's running speed.
And I'm impressed by your facility with snark. Which doesn't change the fact that a quarry will gather an immense amount of non-cobble resources in a reasonably short amount of time without a lot of babysitting.

Redstone cells are great for tiny quarries (it takes about 1.5 of them to get a 9x9 down to bedrock), not so good with big ones.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
I apologize for my lack of <sarcasm> tags. :)

I see why many people like quarries, quite literally put a block down and enjoy the resources. I am not very partial to them. One of the (many) reasons is not being able to silk touch/fortune ores. With that and with the ability to cherrypick whichever ore(s) you need at the moment, manual mining will always be faster in terms of ore units per time than a quarry. Once again, I recognize the fact that you can leave a quarry running while you do something else.

I also quite enjoy caving and gathering resources myself. Having an automated system doing that without having to do any setup or further interaction with it takes away something from the game for me. But to each their own.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Process your ores in a induction smelter with sand.
The rich slag byproduct can then be processed in a induction smelter with 2 of any metal dust, giving 3 ingots in return.​
5 stacks of metal-ore will make enough slag to manufacture an extra stack of metal ingots (in your case copper)

BC Quarry- the absolute most efficient miner. You know you won't miss a single piece of anything!!

-Except the massive piece of your world that now a patch of bedrock.

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
No worries. :)

I'm enjoying playing with quarries right now because a.) the new speed they've got still amazes me. It's just cool to watch it blasting away and b.) making them run off fuel is a technical challenge I'm enjoying. I build my quarries in Mystcraft worlds over the biggest oil geyser I can find, then combine them with a couple of refineries, which both feed the engines and power a liquid transposer. The fuel cans get ender-chested back to my base and again transposed into a massive 7x7 RC tank. Golems help me keep the transposers stocked. I think the whole thing is cool. :D

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
The reason lpers have lots of ores is because they spend a lot of time off camera gathering stuff.

Just because you see a 40min video it doesn't mean they didn't spend 6 hours gathering resources.

Wild Wail

Jul 29, 2019
I really don't have a steady power system (8 rp solars and a functioning lava pump). Just now beginning to get magmatic engines