Alveary and Frames (Durability)

FaTal Cubez

Jul 29, 2019
Hello all, I'm having a really strange problem with frames. No matter what type of frame I put in an alveary, it goes down by 5. This doesn't happen in apiarys, so is it just an alveary thing? I'm in Direwolf20 1.6.4 if that makes a difference. Is there a way to make it so the durability only goes down by 1? Thank you.

CaseyRobinson

Jul 29, 2019
It is just an alveary thing. This drove me a little nuts because it's not documented or mentioned anywhere I could find, but it is coded that way.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
The trade-off is Alvearies are (coded) to be 10x more productive than Apiaries. Yes, frames are used/burned 5x faster, but you get 10x more products. When you put it into those terms, you get 2x the frame efficiency alveary vs. apiary.

For breeding, I almost always use Apiaries. My Metabolic frames last a lot longer as a result. 3x Metabolic in an Apiary is usually sufficient for 5% and above species. If I was doing a lot of Metallurgy with those 2% species, I'd invest in a hopped-up mutating Alveary.

When I've reached my maximum targeted bee production capacity of between 24 and 36 alvearies, I'm keeping between 1 and 2 Carpenters busy making Impregnated sticks for frames and I need a pretty good supply of Seed Oil, which highly encourages tree breeding to get more seed oil production without spamming wheat farms, unless using PfF to get the much easier creosote.

FaTal Cubez

Jul 29, 2019
The trade-off is Alvearies are (coded) to be 10x more productive than Apiaries. Yes, frames are used/burned 5x faster, but you get 10x more products. When you put it into those terms, you get 2x the frame efficiency alveary vs. apiary.

For breeding, I almost always use Apiaries. My Metabolic frames last a lot longer as a result. 3x Metabolic in an Apiary is usually sufficient for 5% and above species. If I was doing a lot of Metallurgy with those 2% species, I'd invest in a hopped-up mutating Alveary.

When I've reached my maximum targeted bee production capacity of between 24 and 36 alvearies, I'm keeping between 1 and 2 Carpenters busy making Impregnated sticks for frames and I need a pretty good supply of Seed Oil, which highly encourages tree breeding to get more seed oil production without spamming wheat farms, unless using PfF to get the much easier creosote.
I use coke ovens for creole oil. I have a tree farm that got me over 60k wood in a couple of hours with plenty of string from 4 sheep farmers. The only issue I have with frames is auto-crafting them. Nothing crafts things automatically very fast. AE is slow, auto-crafting table is slow, cyclic assembler is faster but not as fast as I wish. Do you know of a fix for this?

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
TE3 CA is extremely fast. As long as it has enough power and materials, it can do up to 1 operation per tick, I think. You'll need upgraded itemducts in stack mode or else AE import/export precision buses in stack mode. An AE Basic Bus won't be able to supply it fast enough.

And, AE MAC is also fast if you have enough CPUs. The bottleneck for me is never Impregnated Frame assembly, but rather seed or creosote oil and impregnated sticks. I need at least a couple of Carpenters to keep up.

FaTal Cubez

Jul 29, 2019
TE3 CA is extremely fast. As long as it has enough power and materials, it can do up to 1 operation per tick, I think. You'll need upgraded itemducts in stack mode or else AE import/export precision buses in stack mode. An AE Basic Bus won't be able to supply it fast enough.

And, AE MAC is also fast if you have enough CPUs. The bottleneck for me is never Impregnated Frame assembly, but rather seed or creosote oil and impregnated sticks. I need at least a couple of Carpenters to keep up.
Funny, because it seems like I'm only getting one frame every second not every tick with the Cyclic Assembler (just tested, it is definitely 1 per second for frames). I always have plenty of sticks and string, maybe it's not pulling the items out fast enough? Anyways, why use impregnated? Much easier to use untreated. Like I said, 4 sheep spawners and a decent jungle wood tree farm and you have frames FO DAYS!

Also, is 44 CPUs considered fast enough?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Also, is 44 CPUs considered fast enough?
You will never be able to use more than 10 or so, so yeah its plenty.

Anyways, why use impregnated? Much easier to use untreated. Like I said, 4 sheep spawners and a decent jungle wood tree farm and you have frames FO DAYS!
Yeah it costs something like 8 times as much wood to make impregnated frames than it does untreated(corrected for durability!). So if you can handle the extra string and you have automated the insertion of the frames, then untreated frames would indeed be easier, cheaper and simpler all around.

If you really insist on impregnated frames, you could also just use bees to produce Nutdew.

Also remember that the Magic Bees "Magic Frame" has the same stats as the Impregnated frame, but only requires a untreated frame and some Magic Wax. So if you already got loads of MB bees going you might as well use the wax to make frames.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I used Impregnated just 'cause. It gives me a good excuse to breed up better trees for seed oil production. They also happen to last 3x longer than Untreated.

Reactions: rhn

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I used Impregnated just 'cause. It gives me a good excuse to breed up better trees for seed oil production. They also happen to last 3x longer than Untreated.
Yeah I am actually also using untreated atm in my Monster world. But I also don't have mass production using bees, and frames are only used if items produced by the specific bee drops low.

They also happen to last 3x longer than Untreated.
Thats why I said I had corrected for durability. In reality the wood cost of the frames are:
Untreated: 0.5 Wood logs (0.333 if using Sawmill to make planks)
Impregnated: 8 Wood logs

So you can make 16(24) Untreated Frames for the same wood cost of a single Impregnated Frame....

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Our server we have plenty of logs and creosote from our tree farm, it's string production I'm behind on. I've considered setting up a spider spawner to generate string faster. Wool via wool gin isn't fast enough, and cotton plants are a headache.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Our server we have plenty of logs and creosote from our tree farm, it's string production I'm behind on. I've considered setting up a spider spawner to generate string faster. Wool via wool gin isn't fast enough, and cotton plants are a headache.
There is always the choice of 3x Silk Wisp from Exotic bees.
Or simply the Spidery Bee.