Agrarian Skies Igneous Extruder: good idea or "cheating"?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DigitalWino

Jul 29, 2019
I recently started playing Agrarian Skies, and I love it! I love that it's HC, and that it's hard. You can't just strip mine or quarry your way to tons of resources. You have to work for everything you get and manage your resources. I'd say my one issues is that it never seems to rain. I mean it rained in the first few game days... but then it hasn't since then.

But anyway, my question is about the Igneous Extruder. Unless it works differently in this pack than it does it others, it will endlessly generate cobble for free, and it really isn't that expensive or hard to build. Normally it's just cobble, no big deal. Useful for some stuff, but nothing special. However in this pack, cobble is how you get all of your metals and stuff So an endless supply of it seems kinda powerful. So does anyone think that making one is kinda "cheating" the idea of this mod pack?

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Terrain Smasher.
well there is that, or the whatsit from applied energistics that eats blocks. Still, the extruder does the same thing in the same time as any block breaker + cobble gen, it just doesn't do the block/lighting updates that the others do.

also: for the raining thing: try to not sleep as this messes with the rain.

DigitalWino

Jul 29, 2019
I was wondering if my sleeping was messing with the rain. I had noticed that the first time it rained, it was at night. The first time I didn't sleep after getting a bed though, I had greatly expanded my island (wood planks ftw), but forgot to light it all up... my island was covered in monsters. I locked myself in the house till day time, went out the roof, and managed to kill them all without dying. Also learned that creepers don't blow blocks up, which was useful knowledge. So I'd been sleeping every night since then just to be safe. But when it rained, most of my island was lit, just had few dark spots and thought that a few mobs wouldn't be a bad thing, so I didn't sleep.

When I first found out about the Igneous Extruder and Aqueous Accumulator (playing a diff FtB mod pack), I didn't like them. I felt they were a little OP simply because they created something out of nothing. But then I realized the point was that both of the things they created, were things that you could easily create anyway (water with a bucket and two source blocks, and cobble with a cobble generator). And so all the Igneous Extruder really does is make it so you don't have to make a complex cobble generator that's just gonna add extra unneed stress to a multiplayer server.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
I recently started playing Agrarian Skies, and I love it! I love that it's HC, and that it's hard. You can't just strip mine or quarry your way to tons of resources. You have to work for everything you get and manage your resources. I'd say my one issues is that it never seems to rain. I mean it rained in the first few game days... but then it hasn't since then.

But anyway, my question is about the Igneous Extruder. Unless it works differently in this pack than it does it others, it will endlessly generate cobble for free, and it really isn't that expensive or hard to build. Normally it's just cobble, no big deal. Useful for some stuff, but nothing special. However in this pack, cobble is how you get all of your metals and stuff So an endless supply of it seems kinda powerful. So does anyone think that making one is kinda "cheating" the idea of this mod pack?
The point of this pack isn't resources, the quests ask specifically for things that require infrastructure to be built to complete.

So the pack isn't going to ask for large amounts of iron, it's going to ask for a big reactor which requires you to make that iron into steel. Which requires a high oven, and all the things required to get that

So in short, no I don't think an igneous extruder is cheating

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019

"Ex Nihilo", the core mod of the Agrarian Skies and Skyblock packs in general, literally means "out of nothing". The entire point of Skyblock maps is to automate, to the max, the production of stuff out of nothing. To look at every block added by every mod, and ask yourself, how can I automate this to produce *stuff*. Can I automate its inputs? What can I use its outputs to automate?

Do not think conservatively in a skyblock.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I personally find nothing Hard about Arg Skies, just Grind. The Extruder is not a cheat. You could automate cobble gen back in 1.2.5 with redpower, it just required more space.

Reactions: Dezz

DigitalWino

Jul 29, 2019
Just so people understand, I wasn't saying that an extruder WAS cheating, I was just curious what other peoples thoughts on the subject were. I mean even as I asked the question, I was in the process of saving up my resources to get one. Which I now have. Omg... so nice... lol. I had a few false starts, including times where after dying I would respawn under the island and just fall to my death again over and over till I was out of lives... but now I'm going along at a good pace.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Terrain Smasher.
If somebody considers the igneous extruder cheating then I would suspect the terrain smasher also counts as cheating by whatever logic they're using. Both will produce cobble indefinitely while using no materials and no energy for ongoing operation.

I think I would have used transition planes instead of terrain smashers. Takes power but you don't have to worry about itemducts seemingly randomly stuffing themselves at chunk boundaries, assuming that is how you connected them.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Definitely not cheating, and not OP.

Even though you can get resources for "free", you still have to set up the infrastructure to make it work. I am not even all that far in my map, and obtaining raw resources aren't really an issue. It's more about setting up all the systems to convert those raw resources into usable/required items.

Composting materials into dirt - easy. Setting up a system to create 300k dirt? That's where the infrastructure comes in. This map is definitely about the infrastructure.

There was a time in my map where iron was a limiting factor on what I could do. Not any more. I'm up to about 20k iron at the moment. Now my limitation is redstone and fuel supply. I'm working on those next.

As you progress through the quests, the limitations you had earlier no longer really apply, and other limitations will come into play. You will have to change what you do in order to progress.