AE2 VS Refined Storage?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
I like channels and for now I never had a long enough play trough that I had any problems with the channel limit. But also I did use extensive use of the P2P.
AE2_Stuff that is in Beyond, helps with the crystal and Flux mechanics. So this is ok for me as well.
And the interface Terminal and the multiblock ability of AE2 also makes a difference for me.

If I do a long play through with no hurry because I wan´t to tinker around and make everything beautifull I do AE2. If its a short play trough just to getting know some mods or a new modpack then I will use RS.

N

NerpyDerpston

I, personally, am a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge fan of AE2. (take that "huge" and multiply the number of u's by a million) I don't mind the meteors, channels don't make it op, the grind makes it worth it, the aesthetic is years ahead of RS, I have a relatively beefy computer, just add extra cells for liquids (never had a use for that though), costs fewer resources, holds more per drive, again the number of types for drives makes it not as op, and I like the integration with ender io. Also, did i mention the aesthetic is better? Oh and before I forget I need to say the aesthetic is better. Oh and one more thing:the aesthetic is better.

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
I self taught myself both AE2 and RS with the aid of YouTube and I personally prefer RS. The only thing I like better about AE2 is the crafting grid graphic.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
You see, I prefer the simplistic graphics of RS over the overblown and laggy 'oohhhh shiny' stuff of AE2. I just bury it in a wall anyway, so the only thing I ever see are the monitors/interfaces, so it isn't like it is any real noticeable difference. It just consumes resources for no real purpose.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I, personally, am a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge fan of AE2. (take that "huge" and multiply the number of u's by a million) I don't mind the meteors, channels don't make it op, the grind makes it worth it, the aesthetic is years ahead of RS, I have a relatively beefy computer, just add extra cells for liquids (never had a use for that though), costs fewer resources, holds more per drive, again the number of types for drives makes it not as op, and I like the integration with ender io. Also, did i mention the aesthetic is better? Oh and before I forget I need to say the aesthetic is better. Oh and one more thing:the aesthetic is better.
Your opinion is that the aesthetic is better, it is not objectively and unquestionably better.

N

NerpyDerpston

Your opinion is that the aesthetic is better, it is not objectively and unquestionably better.
And you completely ignore everything else that I said. (I'm gonna TRY to be a little bit more reserved after this post; this discussion is quickly turning into a heated argument. No one is going to change their mind at this point, and, after all, almost everything said on this thread is opinion, not fact.)

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
And you completely ignore everything else that I said. (I'm gonna TRY to be a little bit more reserved after this post; this discussion is quickly turning into a heated argument. No one is going to change their mind at this point, and, after all, almost everything said on this thread is opinion, not fact.)
Given that half of what you said was that "the aesthetic is better", that wasn't hard.

You are not wrong there - the subject clearly inflames hearts and minds ;)

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Yep.. The subject asks for opinion. And opinions do vary quite a bit. I'm with @NerpyDerpston in that I think AE2 is better. But I also see the points on why some people prefer RS. It does have some advantages. I've also learned why some people prefer RS. To each is his own. Just keep that in mind and keep a level head when replying and you will do good.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Yanno one of the other reasons why I like the RS system? It's a subtle callback to Logistic Pipes, back when it was worth using. Remember the wall o' crafting? Where you had all the Crafting Pipes hooked up to auto-crafting tables? Yea, only now it's just plain Crafters and you don't need all the extra cabling since a Crafter is an RS machine that can carry signal by itself. So now you have a neat wall, where each crafter handles nine different recipes.

Also, using Crafters instead of Interfaces for automation of machine processing is another interesting design choice, and one which I find a wash. On the one hand, by NOT using Interfaces as the venue for using crafting, it makes the Interface a cleaner block. However, it can slightly complicate certain complex crafting routines by not being able to feed the results back into the interface that sent it out, requiring an additional import bus at the 'end of production'. Of course, since crafter can both send and receive if the machine can import and export from the same face, this is a situation that only shows up if you have complex multi-step processing, which I guess gives a slight advantage to the Crafter system.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Storage Drawers, with an External Storage and a Storage bus on either side of a Controller Slave. Now you have access to all your storage through both.

I'm incredibly glad that Beyond has the meteors disabled and the stuff craftable. Exploring several hundred chunks in desperate search of the one press that hasn't spawned is intensely frustrating. Obsidian hardness stone isn't gating anything either, just making it annoying to get to. And I'm not even going to mention the insanity of Inscribers being sided the way they are. It means there's no early automation available with Vanilla Tools, until you sit and work through the process of getting it turned just right, and then making sure you're hoppering in and out of the correct sides of the block. Or you've worked through the process to create I/O Buses. I can't imagine trying to play without AE2 Stuff, and that's just plain silly.

Refined Storage, I've not gotten into the mod yet, but it looks a lot more fun than AE2, though that might be new mod syndrome, where playing with the new mod is way more fun than the old standby. RS also seems generally lighter on the power system, what with not feeding the cables power.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
Rs is the way I lean. No presses need. Going through and needing to make pure forms of s crystal isn't necessary. I find it just as aesthetically pleasing as ae. The controller has the same sort of pattern but it's only on one color.

I will give you that the storage drives in ae are better than the counterparts in rs

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I've heard some rumors that the Interfaces will behave themselves in 1.11 and allow us to store in AE and craft with RS, but there's no confirmation I can find.

S

SlightlyLost

Personally, I'm glad we have the choice in most packs.

I was irritated by Forever Stranded just having the one. I did use AE2 rather than violate the spirit of the pack by adding RS manually. The experience left me moderately sour on AE2 though.

The most irritating was the lousy AE2 JEI integration and buggy crafting system. eg: it used to destroy the Yah Hammer and obsidian block while crafting Woot stuff, so I had to set up external crafting machines for it rather than molecular assemblers to work around the bug.

Did I mention the lousy JEI integration? I added "AE2 Stuff" to the pack out of frustration to avoid my computer getting thrown out the window, but even that's pretty raw compared to the smooth JEI<->RS integration I was used to.

And GRRR on drive types.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I think the type of items in AE2 gets a bad rep because people don't understand why it was implemented. The idea actually comes from how real life hard drives work in computers. There is a cluster size (essentially the smallest addressable using group of data) on hard drives. That cluster size varies based on the size of the disk. On the smaller disk it was 256 bytes, as disks got larger it increased to 1024 then 2048, etc. So what this means is lets create a text file that contains one word. That means on the smallest disk that text file takes 256 bytes of space even though it is only less than 10 bytes. If you add more words (a single sentience). You would still only use one sector 256 on the disk. As you add more words (lets say 400). Then you are using 2 clusters or 512 bytes. Now on a larger disk that same 400 character file would use one cluster (1024). So lets put 1000 different 400 byte files on the disk now you have used 1 GB of space on the hard drive to store 400 MB of data.

Again this is one of those things that can be easily worked around by actually partitioning the larger drives instead of just spamming them. 90% of my AE2 storage of item type is on 1k disks. the other 10% of types are on dedicated larger disks that are whitelisted for that specific item.

N

NerpyDerpston

I think the type of items in AE2 gets a bad rep because people don't understand why it was implemented. The idea actually comes from how real life hard drives work in computers. There is a cluster size (essentially the smallest addressable using group of data) on hard drives. That cluster size varies based on the size of the disk. On the smaller disk it was 256 bytes, as disks got larger it increased to 1024 then 2048, etc. So what this means is lets create a text file that contains one word. That means on the smallest disk that text file takes 256 bytes of space even though it is only less than 10 bytes. If you add more words (a single sentience). You would still only use one sector 256 on the disk. As you add more words (lets say 400). Then you are using 2 clusters or 512 bytes. Now on a larger disk that same 400 character file would use one cluster (1024). So lets put 1000 different 400 byte files on the disk now you have used 1 GB of space on the hard drive to store 400 MB of data.

Again this is one of those things that can be easily worked around by actually partitioning the larger drives instead of just spamming them. 90% of my AE2 storage of item type is on 1k disks. the other 10% of types are on dedicated larger disks that are whitelisted for that specific item.
Exactly. I had this explained to me two days into my first experience of AE2, and it made perfect sense to me. It never occurred to me that someone else might think differently until recently. (about 1-2 months ago) While I understand that someone else might have a problem with it, in most modpacks it isn't a problem to just make more storage cells. (Not drives, that is the block [Yes, I know it is confusing])

Reactions: Henry Link