AE2 Simple and efficient ME Controller setup

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bob Smith

Jul 29, 2019
I designed this ME controller which supports 16 P2P tunnels for a total of 512 channels - which for most modest setups is plenty of channels. I wanted to have everything on the same network, be symmetrical, and have some unused faces to be aesthetically pleasing on my "Applied Energistics wall". It only uses 5 controller blocks, and I purposely wanted to use exactly 16 tunnels so that I could use the colored cable - to make it much easier to identify which tunnels are linked to each other.

I just wanted to share this because I was searching for something like this and couldn't find it. I'm very new to AE2, so I'm sure there are much more efficient setups. I just wanted to know what you guys thought of it. Here are some pictures (hopefully they show up eventually - this is just my first post, and I think they) :

Layout of the 5 controllers :

DLQe4Bx

Next, place a different colored dense cable (EXCEPT fluix) on all the faces shown here - and a p2p tunnel on the end of each of the 16 dense cables. You will leave 5 blank faces on the "front" (these exposed ME controller block faces will be used for aesthetic purposes and for the "master" terminals) and one blank face on the "back" (will be used to provide the channels for all 32 p2p ends (16 tunnels)). Here are two pictures that show which controller faces get cables and p2p tunnels :

hYHNtU1

kVcoYbe

The blank face on the back is also where I got the power to the controllers. I set it up like this - and I used FLUIX dense cable here - this is important for later. Be sure to use cable anchors to prevent it from connecting to any other cables - as fluix will connect to any color (which is why this is important for later). Here is a pic of this step :

FWnM3cP

Next, we start using fluix smart cable (glass cable will work here as well) to get all of our p2p tunnels wired into the dense cable coming out of the back. Here is a little breakdown of how I wired it. I used two lengths of fluix smart cable - I'll call it cable 1 and cable 2.

1) Wire the 5 p2p ends from one side, the bottom 2, and the bottom 1 on the back side.
2) Wire the 5 p2p ends from the other side, the top 2, and the top 1 on the back side.

Again, be sure to use cable anchors wherever the fluix cable is going to want to connect to any other cable. The only connections these cables should make are to the 8 p2p ends and the dense cable. That's it. In hind sight, it might have been better to use some colored smart cable here as that way, it would only want to connect to a cable of the same color, so much fewer cable anchors would need to be used that way. Either way will work. Here are some pics of this step in case the explanation is not clear :

NwkEdvH

qCqDroH

At this point, the fluix dense cable carrying our p2p channels (and power) should be using exactly 16 channels.

Next, just lengthen that fluix dense cable however far you'd like - and you have 16 channels to use off of it for 16 p2p tunnels - 512 channels total. Here, I just connected all of the tunnels. In reality, you'd be running these tunnels all over your base. Notice that I attached a COLORED smart cable to the fluix dense cable (the reason I wanted fluix here). I attached the other end of the p2p tunnels here, and now our fluix dense cable is using all 32 channels.

Ld0R7kn

Now, just link each colored dense cable coming off the controller faces with the same color of smart cable coming off the fluix dense cable using the memory card, and you're set - and can easily tell which p2p tunnels are linked. Another benefit of this is that you can go to your controller at any time and see how many channels of each tunnel are being used.

Last, on the "front" of the controller - where we still have unused faces, we are going to put terminals here and cover everything up. I used fluix smart cable here, but that's not necessary. You'll never see it - so glass cable of any color would work just as well. Just be sure to use cable anchors again. This is the completed wall :

eYA3X0n

SRRat3i

I have no idea if any of these pictures will post correctly. Sorry if they don't. I'm using Imgur, and I've never used it before.

And it doesn't look like they are working. That makes this whole post useless!

Here is a link to the album on Imgur - which will probably not show up for a while :

http://imgur.com/a/oeBJb#0

Last edited: