AE2 for Newbies (A Reference Guide for the Rest Of Us!)

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Can you maybe give an explaination on P2Ps? Cuz i understand that they can carry channels, liquids and whatevers but i can't seem to figure them out.

I'm slowly starting to figure out how P2P's work, but they're so goddamn annoying to link up and there's not really a good way to find out which P2P's are linked up except using things like signs at the P2P's
it'd be nice if you could name or color P2P's, perhaps how Ender IO or Thermal Expansion does with their dimensional transceivers/tesseracts

Reactions: Beleriond01

Master_Builder_800

Jul 29, 2019
I don't use p2p, I'm so crazy rich that I can afford to just run dense cable everywhere, I play on a server with me and a friend and my friend doesn't understand the concept of efficency, so everything gets mass produced

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
I don't use p2p, I'm so crazy rich that I can afford to just run dense cable everywhere, I play on a server with me and a friend and my friend doesn't understand the concept of efficency, so everything gets mass produced
No matter how rich I get, I always make my base require as little as possible to keep running. I'm stingy as hell, though, so that probably has a lot to do with it.

Edit: posted at 4:20 on 4/20!

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Okay, so P2P tunnels...

They don't have to carry just channels, although that is one of my primary uses. They can theoretically conduct several things from point A to point B within the ME Network. But let's focus right now on carrying channels, since that's the big use.

In brief: I like to color the cable directly attaching the p2p tunnel itself. This has several benefits: primarily, it color codes my input and output so I know exactly what is going where. It also keeps them from accidentally crossing the streams, for example if you are setting up several around your Controller multiblock.

In effect, consider a p2p tunnel to be an ender conduit through which 32 channels of data may travel through a single pair of channels in an enclosed subnetwork in order to be available on the other end, but not between.

Since that probably didn't explain it any clearer, let me expound upon that a bit and build a giant wall o' text.

By the time you get to the point where you want to play with p2p tunnels, you've got an ME Controller multiblock structure. So we will define your 'primary network' as the one directly attached to that Controller. Anything not directly attached to that is considered a subnetwork. This is going to be an important definition to keep in mind going forward to avoid getting confused.

The need for a p2p tunnel exists when you want to run 32 channels of data to somewhere fairly remote, but that dense cable is expensive. So, instead of running it all over the place, we're going to use a pair of p2p tunnels. One can be directly connected to your ME Controller to provide the maximum 32 channels, whereas the other can be anywhere you need a bunch of channels. In fact, it can be several anywheres, you can have multiple outputs from a single p2p tunnel interface, as long as you have enough channels in your tunnel subnet. So, for example, you have several areas requiring multiple channels who total over eight, which are relatively close proximity to each other, you can keep them all tied into your main network without needing to run bundled cable everywhere.

The 'traditional' use of p2p is to have four sides of an ME Controller hooked up with four different p2p tunnels, the outputs of which then feed into dense cable and are parsed out from there, giving you a total theoretical 128 channels run through a single regular ME cable. However, I've found alternate uses that are less 'efficient' in terms of channel density but more favorable for utility.

For example, I have a wool farm, a cobbleworks, my blood magic area, my thaumcraft area, and my botania area, which are at remote locations from my main base, however they were all within a few chunks of each other. So I ran one p2p tunnel off of my Controller, and each of these locations ended up with enough channels to handle the throughput while eating up only a single 'side' from my Controller. They all fed off of the same 32 channels from that same 'side', exactly as though I had run dense cable all the way out there and then split off, only without paying such a heavy price. Furthermore, since each area had its own p2p tunnel, I didn't have to run a single piece of dense cable anywhere, since each location required less than eight channels.

So, to clarify:

Anything connected to your ME Controller is defined as in your main network. The cable BETWEEN your p2p tunnels, however, is explicitly NOT and should never be hooked up to your Controller, therefore it is an ad-hoc subnetwork. However, the fun part here is that you can, theoretically, add in a Controller to that subnetwork that runs your tunnels, giving you a stupid number of connections possible, and because it never actually connects to your main network, the controllers won't fight each other.

I like to color my p2p cables because I tend to have one directly attached to the Controller that hits several places, so I want to make sure that everyone on the North facing side is, for example, on the 'blue' tunnel network, everything on the East facing side is on Green, and so forth. This helps me keep everything straight. It also lets me know what NOT to connect to. If something is colored, that's my tunnel subnet not my main network, so don't plug into it. Also, I almost always have the 'input' tunnel face directly attached to my controller, which gives it 32 channels without needing any dense cable. However, if you have multiple inputs and outputs, this can get to be very complex, and you may need to document your work with signs.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
One use would be to use a single controller block on the subnet to allow a single glass cable to carry 8*32 channels throughout your base. if you use multiple sides of the controller that becomes 6*32 P2P end points that you can divide up between input and output.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
One use would be to use a single controller block on the subnet to allow a single glass cable to carry 8*32 channels throughout your base. if you use multiple sides of the controller that becomes 6*32 P2P end points that you can divide up between input and output.
Or you can use a separate subnet for every p2p tunnel coming off of your main controller and never need a controller on your subnet unless you have more than seven destinations from that face.

Bigjim85

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe someone can help me I can't find the answer, I made a AE2 system in my base but the other players are not able to access my terminals? Is there a way to make it open so they can put stuff in and take out of the AE system>

null123

Mar 27, 2014
Maybe someone can help me I can't find the answer, I made a AE2 system in my base but the other players are not able to access my terminals? Is there a way to make it open so they can put stuff in and take out of the AE system>
You probably have a security terminal hooked up. Either get rid of it, or add them to the security terminal.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I believe adding a blank Biometric card would let you give them access without modification rights if you want that.

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012
Is it possible to have a Network and Subnetwork share both material inventories AND crafting patterns? I want to be able to craft stuff at both systems as the auto-crafting area I made is huge and requires its own network/space. I could run cable to everything, but that's a massive undertaking.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
As far as I know, AE2 can't craft across on a subnetwork. You could setup crafting subnetworks to keep items in their inventory, but I don't think you can actively request it from the main system.