AE2 CPU problem

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

totte1015

Jul 29, 2019
So I have spent hours of fixing a good automated system for inscribers now...

Anyway, I got 5x Co-crafting units, and one Crafting unit, and one Crafting monitor, and one 1k storage

b96al2.jpg

It still can only do ONE job... And it says "Co processors N/A"

Is this a bug or have I screwed something up?

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
is it busy?

each CPU can only do one job

coprocessors increase speed of subjobs but that is it

Last edited:

totte1015

Jul 29, 2019
So the "Crafting unit" is the actual CPU then?

I thought, from the wiki that the Co-processors was the one making it possible to create multiple jobs

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
So the "Crafting unit" is the actual CPU then?

I thought, from the wiki that the Co-processors was the one making it possible to create multiple jobs
Then the wiki is wrong. from the mod's site: http://ae-mod.info/Crafting-Co-Processing-Unit/

This can be used to make more assemblers active in parallel for the job, and thus increase overall crafting speed. These only help if your setup has steps properly separated so the system can run multiple jobs in parallel, or even split the same pattern across multiple interfaces.

in other words it parallelizes individual jobs.

totte1015

Jul 29, 2019
Craaaaaaaap.... So each "CPU station" uses one channel too then I bet?

I find it SO confusing with the channels

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
Craaaaaaaap.... So each "CPU station" uses one channel too then I bet?

I find it SO confusing with the channels
channels are easy, just think of them as wires that they send data through and cables hold 8 (dense hold 32), so to connect a component that needs a channel it will select the shortest path to the controller and reserve a wire,

if any part of the path doesn't have any free channels then it will fail to connect.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
So in order to use multiple assemblers, youd need more cpus?
no to have multiple unrelated jobs running you need more CPUs

you can have as many interfaces with patterns as you wish but each CPU can only take one crafting job at a time, including auto-crafting from crafting export buses (why you can select which CPU those take)

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
If only there was a way to use controllerless ad hoc subnetwork setups for crafting akin the the Super Soaryn Drive.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
If only there was a way to use controllerless ad hoc subnetwork setups for crafting akin the the Super Soaryn Drive.
That is one downside of the current AE system; no way to order crafts in a subnetwork.

You can however auto craft ingredients and supply back using an block interface on the main net and a storage bus and crafting export bus on a subnet, add a level emitter and redstone card and for only 2 channels you can auto supply 1 ingredient

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
channels are easy, just think of them as wires that they send data through and cables hold 8 (dense hold 32), so to connect a component that needs a channel it will select the shortest path to the controller and reserve a wire,

if any part of the path doesn't have any free channels then it will fail to connect.
Now now, while channels aren't hard they are by no means "easy" to get your head around. Also people are going to be making a comparison to the first Channelless AE, which makes AE 2 comparatively more confusing/ complex.

That is one downside of the current AE system; no way to order crafts in a subnetwork.

You can however auto craft ingredients and supply back using an block interface on the main net and a storage bus and crafting export bus on a subnet, add a level emitter and redstone card and for only 2 channels you can auto supply 1 ingredient

So what you are saying crafting can use a storage sub network (like the SSD) but not the other way around?

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
Now now, while channels aren't hard they are by no means "easy" to get your head around. Also people are going to be making a comparison to the first Channelless AE, which makes AE 2 comparatively more confusing/ complex.

honestly comparing channeless to channelful is the wrong thing to do, I mean yeah without channels you just need 1 cable snaking through the base but if you just keep in mind the shortest path bit then it's kinda

So what you are saying crafting can use a storage sub network (like the SSD) but not the other way around?

No that post refers to auto stocking of items without having to tie up a CPU like with DW20's system.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I would like to add that many times people use channels when they don't have to. For example:

You have an ore processing system with multiple machines required to finish this. Let's call it a Mekanism system since it requires like four machines to get a tripling.

* The worst way: Every machine in the processing system has an interface and an export bus, so whenever you request ores, it can make them.
Why: Way too many channels made, and surprisingly difficult to set up to run automatically. Also a CPU hog.

* The better way: One export bus on the 'input' machine, one import bus on the output of the final machine. The machines either auto-pass to each other, or use a non-AE form of passing back and forth until it is done.
Why: Only two channels here, and you are now exporting all of the ores you want processed automatically rather than requiring active input/

* The most efficient way: Your input chest uses a non-AE transportation system with at least low-level sorting capability that auto-sorts the ores to the ore processing facility. The result eventually pipes into an ME Interface that already exists somewhere else.
Why: No extra channels used in this setup, you're using an Interface that is already in use elsewhere, and taking advantage of the fact that anything piped into it goes into the ME Network. This is particularly good with EnderIO or ExtraUtils.

As another case, DW20's setup of automating chipsets which eats up a ton of channels. Same concept as the above. You put the patterns in the individual inscribers, then filter the materials to the appropriate inscriber. The output from the inscribers and redstone go to the final chipset inscriber. So, for example, you tell the ME Network that 1 silicon + 1 (material) + 1 Redstone = 1 (type) chipset. These go to the chest. the material and silicon go to the appropriate inscribers, the redstone goes to the final chipset inscriber. Once the silicon and material chipsets have been made, they go to the final assembler, the final chipset is made, and is output directly to that same ME Interface that requested it. EnderIO with basic filters handles all the complicatedness, all you need are three patterns in an interface. You can do this with ExtraUtil as well if you like.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
You can also use a adhoc subnet to move items between machines, literally just a import and export bus (or storage bus). and some quarts fiber for power from the main net.

Reactions: Azzanine

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I would like to add that many times people use channels when they don't have to. For example:

You have an ore processing system with multiple machines required to finish this. Let's call it a Mekanism system since it requires like four machines to get a tripling.

* The worst way: Every machine in the processing system has an interface and an export bus, so whenever you request ores, it can make them.
Why: Way too many channels made, and surprisingly difficult to set up to run automatically. Also a CPU hog.

* The better way: One export bus on the 'input' machine, one import bus on the output of the final machine. The machines either auto-pass to each other, or use a non-AE form of passing back and forth until it is done.
Why: Only two channels here, and you are now exporting all of the ores you want processed automatically rather than requiring active input/

* The most efficient way: Your input chest uses a non-AE transportation system with at least low-level sorting capability that auto-sorts the ores to the ore processing facility. The result eventually pipes into an ME Interface that already exists somewhere else.
Why: No extra channels used in this setup, you're using an Interface that is already in use elsewhere, and taking advantage of the fact that anything piped into it goes into the ME Network. This is particularly good with EnderIO or ExtraUtils.

As another case, DW20's setup of automating chipsets which eats up a ton of channels. Same concept as the above. You put the patterns in the individual inscribers, then filter the materials to the appropriate inscriber. The output from the inscribers and redstone go to the final chipset inscriber. So, for example, you tell the ME Network that 1 silicon + 1 (material) + 1 Redstone = 1 (type) chipset. These go to the chest. the material and silicon go to the appropriate inscribers, the redstone goes to the final chipset inscriber. Once the silicon and material chipsets have been made, they go to the final assembler, the final chipset is made, and is output directly to that same ME Interface that requested it. EnderIO with basic filters handles all the complicatedness, all you need are three patterns in an interface. You can do this with ExtraUtil as well if you like.

if you want compact builds that use up almost no channels I always prefer using either Ender IO conduits or Steve's Factory Manager to move items around the machines from a single chest as input and output.

Reactions: ChemE and Azzanine

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Going pure AE, or pipe/other forms of automation combination were equally as efficient. This is no longer a problem. With AE2, you can confidently design your systems around AE component optimization, and reduction of channel usage, through non-AE type automation integration into your systems.

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
Going pure AE, or pipe/other forms of automation combination were equally as efficient. This is no longer a problem. With AE2, you can confidently design your systems around AE component optimization, and reduction of channel usage, through non-AE type automation integration into your systems.
Exactly. Making other mechanics more relevant again. Also one of the reasons TE ducts were delayed.