AE2 Controller Optimization.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
There's a config option to turn off channels btw

Edit: In the rv2 alpha version

jaquadro

Jul 29, 2019
The option to turn off channels was a promised feature even with Algo was still working on the mod. But I think he wanted to force people to at least try the channels for a while first.

I don't know how the networking operates with channels disabled, but if you build a large network with no controller present, there may be a performance penalty relative to the normal channel setup. The overhead would be pretty bad if you had a few hundred devices trying to ad-hoc connect with each other.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know how the networking operates with channels disabled, but if you build a large network with no controller present, there may be a performance penalty relative to the normal channel setup. The overhead would be pretty bad if you had a few hundred devices trying to ad-hoc connect with each other.
I'd expect the opposite: No pathfinding for the channels needed. But I think that only matters when the system is changed.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
My ME system is very compact. I have everything connected directly to a 7 block strip of controllers. Im using ME chests instead of drives so its a lot more like a traditional chest based sorting system. Each chest is taking up a face of the controller but I could make it more efficient if I needed to no problem.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Your best bet, configs aside, is to use other sorting methods to process and move everything to and from your AE system, keeping the system itself small. The only time you'll have to burn though channels then is for AE2's crippled autocrafting (which I still find to be annoying as all hell).

N

NerpyDerpston

An interesting thought exercise would be to expand this to a 7x7x7 structure, but just counting the available faces is a chore, let alone all the tricky wiring on the interior structure.
Try this on for size
1UXLPtK.png

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
And I also would NEVER use it. All of the cables on the outside like are just begging for netting issue because they are all interconnected. Now if you were to use cable anchors to give defined net paths then maybe. But to be honest in all of my play I've never seen a need to go beyond a basic single ring of controllers.

N

NerpyDerpston

And I also would NEVER use it. All of the cables on the outside like are just begging for netting issue because they are all interconnected. Now if you were to use cable anchors to give defined net paths then maybe. But to be honest in all of my play I've never seen a need to go beyond a basic single ring of controllers.
Well that is why you have the dense cable in the center.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
No you don't understand. You are increasing lag and tps. If you were to set this up on my server I would BAN you. Each connection take processing power from the server. So instead of each cable having a few connection points they all have 5 connection points. That is very POOR design. You should always limit the connection to what is needed not just blindly place cable because it looks pretty.

N

NerpyDerpston

Well i just saw that someone was curious what a 7x7x7 would look like and how many channels you would get. And you're right, you don't actually need that many controllers, but there is such thing as an experiment that is done for science. I had a whole day off, and I was bored.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Someone was curious about the 7x7x7 setup in 2014. Welcome to 2017. We've been here a few months now, and the people who discussed this originally have long since either stopped caring or have since tested out designs of their own.

Not trying to sound snarky, but there is no need for people to get worked up over a long dead discussion.

jaquadro

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting block arrangement aside, I don't think you'd tap many channels off of that. What made that "thought experiment" interesting when I posed it in 2014 (holy crap) is how would you arrange P2P interfaces and cabling to extract the maximum amount of usable channels.

I never tried to figure it out.

N

NerpyDerpston

I just didn't bother with the P2P interfaces and connected everything as best I could.

floven1

Oct 20, 2019
it gets even better(worse?) when you throw in the fact that slapping a storage bus on an ME interface allows that storage bus to see all items and fluids(1.12+) in the ME interfaces network, thus allowing even MORE channels for storage, currently there is no way to use crafting recipes stored on one network from another network but there are workarounds to this...

edit: also, the item interface/item laser relay from actually additions and drawers/drawer controllers from storage drawers are a HUGE help for those wanting a bit more use out of those storage buses, or if the modpack maker removed/gated the storage drives

edit2: sorry for necroing a thread, didnt realize this was two years old

Last edited: