AE Problem

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

StaticPixel

Jul 29, 2019
NOTE: I am playing on the Direwolf 1.5 pack (This happened while it was in beta form)
So, recently, I had set up my first legitimate Applied Energistics setup on a survival multiplayer server. I had set up the Terminal, Crafting Terminal, Crafting Monitor, Drive, Controller, Assembler chamber etc, and everything had been working good.

I watch Direwolf all the time, and I noticed while in the crafting terminal he just clicks the question mark icon in NEI and it will load the recipe into the terminal even if the doesn't have all of the materials for it.

Whenever I try to do so, it is a darkish grey color and will not let me craft this way. I got a few friends to try it out, and they couldn't figure it out either. I dont know if this is a bug or intended, but please inform me either way.

Sadly, the server just recently reset, and I had to delete my direwolf 1.5 folder, and forgot to backup my screenshots, so I do not have any of this problem.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
The ? is provided by the NEI addons mod. In order for it to work correctly it must be on the server and client. If just the client has it then it will show the crafting recipe but it will not pull the inventory items to fill the crafting square. You may want to bug the server owner about adding NEI addons.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
I play 1.4.7. I don't have the NEI feature and is wondering if its because I can't get it to work or because it is not supported (Ultimate 1.4.7)

Seraph089

Jul 29, 2019
To actually craft that way, you shift-click the question mark, same as normal crafting tables. Normal click puts the grey ghost items that only show you where things need to go

Reactions: Norfgarb and Saice

Lisranda

Jul 29, 2019
In order to populate the AE C-Terminal with a recipe from NEI by using the question mark you need to be running on 1.5.2. You CAN use this feature with some machines in 1.4.7, like the Xycraft Fabricator, but NOT with AE.

If you are running 1.5.2+, you shift+click the question mark to populate the recipe -- and it will fill in whatever you have in stock in the AE C-Terminal. If you do this on a regular Crafting Table it will only fill the recipe if you have everything, there is no "part way" for those. If you just click the question mark (not shift+click) it will but a faded ghost of the the recipe over the grid to help you populate it yourself. This does not require the items in stock.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, thanks for that. Finally, I can use NEI with AE. What is the shortcuts then? (If you press r, it'll type R into the AE filter.... )

apemanzilla

Jul 29, 2019
Just to clarify a bit - shift clicking ? in an ME C-Terminal can pull items from your AE network as well as your inventory; it doesn't come from nowhere.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, nevermind. It's only for the pattern encoder... QQ

Still very useful, especially the forestry stuff.

Lisranda

Jul 29, 2019
You can not shift-click the question mark to populate the recipe of the Pattern Encoder. Algorithm steadfastly maintains that this would be cheating, has dismissed the notion, and will not further consider adding this functionality.

Considering that the idea of encoding a pattern is to lay out the recipe, I can respect that stance.

Reactions: Saice

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Oh well, that's one frustration out the door. Especially for crafting things in external machines, you have to actually go make the damned thing for the encoding process. Now you can just NEI it.

I guess it'd be hella OP if it'd work with the crafting interface. Imagine if it'd actually put the items in for you O_O.

39cluesEKAT

Jul 29, 2019
You can not shift-click the question mark to populate the recipe of the Pattern Encoder. Algorithm steadfastly maintains that this would be cheating, has dismissed the notion, and will not further consider adding this functionality.

Considering that the idea of encoding a pattern is to lay out the recipe, I can respect that stance.
Weird. I shift clicked the ? in the pattern encoder and it worked in my 152wgt world.

Edit 1: Just checked the NEI Addons page and saw that it added the pattern encoder function to NEI.

Lisranda

Jul 29, 2019
Weird. I shift clicked the ? in the pattern encoder and it worked in my 152wgt world.

Edit 1: Just checked the NEI Addons page and saw that it added the pattern encoder function to NEI.

So what you're saying is, that you opened up the Pattern Encoder, put a blank pattern in it, then Shift+Clicked on the question mark for some random recipe (let's say a Piston for argument's sake) and it filled in the recipe inside the encoder? You were then able to hit "Encode" and it created an ME Encoded Pattern for a Piston? If that's true, you should report it to Algorithm at ae-mod.info because he is still frequently telling people that he will never allow that.

You CAN open up the C-Terminal (Crafting Terminal), look up the recipe for the pattern encoder, and Shift-Click it to make a pattern encoder.... just like you can do that with anything in the C-Terminal.

Edit: Yup, confirmed that NEI Plugins took the initiative on this one and pushed that. That's a big deal, and I hope things stay civil over it.