AE Molecular Assembler Chamber

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Artheos

Jul 29, 2019
I like to make patterns for everything I craft. My 5x5x5 unit has 12 CPUs and 15 pages for patterns.

BKwak28

Jul 29, 2019
Well, since i went mad and made 16x16x5 molecular chamber with 582cpus and 3pattern provider
I really don't think there's size limit
All depends on what you want to craft

Vipersassasin

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, I have a question about sizes, can you do like a 3-D "L" shape? I have a base and I want to wrap the MAC around my staircase to the level, if not I will just make 2 MACs and call it good.

Captain_Oats

Jul 29, 2019
I understand the "well I have 10k iron why not" approach, but I really don't see the point in >5 CPU's. This will craft a couple stacks of anything in no time. Not to mention the biggest bottleneck, is almost always your processing (furnaces, assembly machines, plate benders, grinders w/e). What's the point in having 10 CPU's idle while they wait for refined iron to be cooked up (just an example).

dlord

Jul 29, 2019
My rule of thumb is to have 1 CPU per Pattern Provider. Sounds expensive, but it really helps in complex recipes. And I'm pretty sure by that time, you have the resources for this.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
In terms of cubes, 4x4x4 (exterior dimensions) is slightly too small, 6x6x6 is too big, and 5x5x5 is plenty big enough. With 5x5x5, you get 3x3x3 interior, which is enough for 27 pattern providers + CPUs, which should be plenty, ex: 12 patterns + 15 CPUs or 10 patterns, 17 CPUs, etc.,. You can always change the ratio or even expand your MAC later if need be.

Unless you encode *everything* from NEI into your MAC (and end up not using most of it), I have a hard time imagining you will need more than 10 to 12 pages of patterns. And, as discussed earlier in this thread, there's not much point in spamming CPUs beyond a certain point.

In terms of hard lmiits, the only MAC size limit I've seen is power. You *can* build a MAC that requires too much power to boot up, seriously.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I would also be careful with MAC's that go beyond chunk boundaries. There is a bug with AE which can (not always) cause MAC's to stop crafting even with enough materials present. This seems to happen more when the MAC is not in a single chunk.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
holynecropostingbatman.jpg

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Imagine you're in Agrarian Skies and you need to craft octuple compressed cobblestone. You're gonna wait long with only 5 crafting CPUs.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Imagine you're in Agrarian Skies and you need to craft octuple compressed cobblestone. You're gonna wait long with only 5 crafting CPUs.

To be fair the rate limiting step in octocobble isn't thr speed of your MAC. It took me AGES to make enough cobble even running 1072 igneous extruders

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Adding my thanks for explaining the math of the Assembly Chamber CPUs, I always wondered about it. My rule of thumb was to put half CPUs and half Pattern Providers but now I will shoot for a productivity goal instead.[DOUBLEPOST=1401503596][/DOUBLEPOST]
I would also be careful with MAC's that go beyond chunk boundaries. There is a bug with AE which can (not always) cause MAC's to stop crafting even with enough materials present. This seems to happen more when the MAC is not in a single chunk.

I design my base around my MAC. lol Even before I have one. I identify a center chunk where eventually my chunk loader will go, and that chunk will also house my AE stuff. Then I build radially from this chunk, say a 3x3 or 5x5 chunk area. This helps minimize my runs of ME cable to conserve power early on. I agree, people should pay more attention to chunks, hitting the F9 key to check them is so easy in these modpacks (apologies for not knowing the name of the mod that does the F9 thing, but it's really handy).

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
my rule is to have 1cpu per 4 patterns providers. I bearly make a use of more as let's be honest how often do you craft stack of tesseracts etc.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
my rule is to have 1cpu per 4 patterns providers. I bearly make a use of more as let's be honest how often do you craft stack of tesseracts etc.
How often do you craft stacks of fences, stone bricks, sandstone and stuff?

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
Probably not that often as I never had a problem waiting 2-3 sec to get few stacks. I know where you comming from and if someone is building a lot of large structures they will have different ratio but for me it works just fine.