AE Crafting help?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Aeon

Jul 29, 2019
So, I've automated ore processing by just feeding ore into a macerator, and then that dust into a furnace. But now I want to be able to craft neutron reflectors (which require tin dust). Is there any workaround/solution to this, or do I have to disable the tin auto-smelting before I start the crafting?

Norren

Jul 29, 2019
The simplest solution would be to put a block next to the export bus dumping into your furnace, put a switch on it, then toggle the export bus to "active without signal" and flip the switch. Pulverize your ore, then craft the reflectors, and flip the switch off again.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
you can macerator the ingots back to dusts, just ensure that the dusts for crafting aren't smelted before they can be used (you can use a separate AE system or just pump directly from the macerator into the furnace

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
you can macerator the ingots back to dusts, just ensure that the dusts for crafting aren't smelted before they can be used (you can use a separate AE system or just pump directly from the macerator into the furnace
The solution that utilizes the power of AE the best would be to create a recipe for the neutron reflectors. i.e. Have a recipe that says tin ingot -> tin dust, put that into an interface, connected to a macerator. Then make the recipe for the neutron reflector. This will make it so that every time you need to make a neutron reflector, it will send off x amount of tin to be macerated, then make the reflectors, all in one step (well one step for you). Ensure that you have overclockers or you'll have to wait for the entire macerate time. I myself have transformer upgrades with overclockers. An iron furnace that smelts in less than a second is so beautiful for AE processor crafting automation (i.e. the raw processor needs to be smelted for it to be used, this way there is very little delay. I can ask for an export bus and the system will have it made in about one second)

Aeon

Jul 29, 2019
The solution that utilizes the power of AE the best would be to create a recipe for the neutron reflectors. i.e. Have a recipe that says tin ingot -> tin dust, put that into an interface, connected to a macerator. Then make the recipe for the neutron reflector. This will make it so that every time you need to make a neutron reflector, it will send off x amount of tin to be macerated, then make the reflectors, all in one step (well one step for you). Ensure that you have overclockers or you'll have to wait for the entire macerate time. I myself have transformer upgrades with overclockers. An iron furnace that smelts in less than a second is so beautiful for AE processor crafting automation (i.e. the raw processor needs to be smelted for it to be used, this way there is very little delay. I can ask for an export bus and the system will have it made in about one second)

The thing is, my auto smelting will just smelt any tin that the recipe macerates. And I'd rather not have to switch smelting off while AE is crafting neutron reflectors.

So instead of having AE take the dust back into the system and then export it into the furnace, make it so the dust goes directly into the furnace? Then I would need a separate macerator to process the tin for the reflectors, but it would work. Thanks! ;D

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, I didn't think of that. I will try to find an automated answer. Gimme a bit.

edit:

Automate the entire process outside of the AE system using either:

(a) a separate AE system (more resources)

(b) a transport pipe system with auto crafting tables

For both, create a recipe that contains all the ingredients necessary from step one, equal to the neutron reflector. You may need a wooden pipe to pump all those ingredients out, then diamond pipes to sort them accordingly.

i.e. send the tin and whatever else into this separate factory with its output into an AE interface or whatever you choose. This way the step between macerate and crafting is not managed by your main AE system and thus not subject to your dust-smelting automation.

Norren

Jul 29, 2019
The thing is, my auto smelting will just smelt any tin that the recipe macerates. And I'd rather not have to switch smelting off while AE is crafting neutron reflectors.

The "other" solution is to just keep your dusts around in dust form, build an ME Interface for your Furnace, and then program a recipe with "1 dust -> 1 ore" and do everything on demand instead of autosmelt. (Alternatively, just don't autosmelt anything which might be used in a recipe in it's preprocessed form.)

You could also use ME level emitters to always have a certain minimum level of dusts, or use an on demand TE pulverizer to pulverize ingots into TE dusts instead of IC2 dusts. AE shouldn't auto-smelt the TE dusts if you've programmed it with IC2 dusts, and verse visa. (Edit: Well, assuming you don't have something unifying the recipes.)

Antivyris

Jul 29, 2019
You could, instead of seperating your system, seperate your patterns.

Make an Ore = Dust pattern and a dust=ingot pattern. It may take longer to make items, but if you have the kind of system setup I think you do it shouldn't have to much issue with that.

Norren

Jul 29, 2019
I forgot about this one since my server doesn't have Xycraft: if you have Xycraft fabricators and MFR item routers handy, you could program an "incorrect" recipe that has ingots in place of the dust, put it into an interface that over the MFR item router, configure the router to distribute the ingots to be pulverized into the pulverizer, and pipe the rest into a chest. Place the fabricator such that it's adjacent to both pulverizer and chest, set the correct recipe into it with NEI, and slap an import bus on the side of it back into your system.

A little convoluted, but it lets you do your autosmelting as is while still on demand crafting without setting up an AE subnet.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Well it's not really separating your system...

It's actually saving your ME systems processing power by outsourcing the work. i.e. I am going to make a chain of furnaces for when I want to craft large volumes of stone/glass. I'll just have an interface with a wooden pipe. When I request say... 300 glass, it'll just pump all 300 sand into some BC pipe loop, when it's done, have the output lead back to the interface.

This is to avoid the 64 item cap per furnace and so I don't have to necessarily have them running with transformer upgrades. This way I can have a relatively low power-cost, long term solution for processing large amounts of cobble/sand into stone/glass. I used to do it by hand. Filled an entire gold chest and had those contents pumped into 5 furnaces.

Limiting your automation capabilities in lieu of a tool like AE is.. Foolish :/

Runo

Jul 29, 2019

This is optimal and what I use for most convenient automation. You kind of have to have reflectors in AE crafting anyway, unless you want to end your day punching babies. However, for fastest production, just disable the furnace for a while and set tin/coal to macerate for a while. This is useful for batch processing and tends to go faster since the serial nature of successive recipes can rapidly increase wait times. AE can produce all the reflectors in like 10 seconds in a decent sized ME if it has all the parts. 1024 reflectors, 256 beryllium, 32 iridium plates. Boom, done

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Well, the main problem he's having is the dust being auto-smelted per his ore processing automation systems.

Norren

Jul 29, 2019
Well, the main problem he's having is the dust being auto-smelted per his ore processing automation systems.

Yeah, moving away from auto-smelting would help. It'd be kind of nice if there was a way to have level emitters emit a level based on items on order. I wonder if that's been a feature request ever.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Once again, the purpose of interfaces is to have the ability to bypass these sort of things...