AE Autocrafting stopped working

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Lappro

Jul 29, 2019
Alright I could use some help with this, I have been building a nice base with Applied Energistics as my main storage solution. I have come quite end game and therefore my AE system has grown quite large (consuming 500 energy units per tick).

The problem now is, it suddenly stopped auto crafting my stuff. To state some facts about the current state and what probably isn't the cause of the problem:
I have a working Molecular Assembly Chamber (MAS) of a size of 5x5x5 and this has been auto crafting for me for quite sometime successfully.
Lately while doing some work in another dimension it suddenly stopped working, this means I probably haven't broken it myself.
I have plenty of power supply, I produce about 4600 MJ/t and of that roughly 2500 MJ/t is consumed, so that means there is 2100 MJ/t unused, this is also visible on the ME controller since it shows full power on the outside.
The stuff I want to craft is not run out, as a test I tried crafting simple wooden sticks, but I have 600 planks lying in the system as well as an additional 6 million logs. Even other crafting tasks are just idling. The crafting monitor displays the crafting task in the top right slot, but the middle part remains empty and also doesn't say I have run out of something.
The required patterns are in the MAS and display as working (e.g. 2 planks gives 4 sticks).
There is plenty of available storage, there are at least 20 4k storage modules completely empty and most bulk material is stored in Deep Storage Units (from MFR), which also still have space and are still connected.
Recipes in my interface blocks still work, as I tested by making 1 refined iron.

It looks like almost everything is working in my system except the crafting recipes in my MAS.
I already tried breaking the controller and putting it back in place, which didn't solve the problem.
I tried breaking a block of the MAS and putting it back in place, it formed its multi-block structure again but still no auto crafting.
I tried testing someone else's auto crafting on the server (a completely different AE network) and that did work.

So my conclusion so far: It must be an error in my network and not server-side, possibly a bug in AE.
If anyone has any suggestions? And no, breaking my entire AE system is not an option, I've put too much work in it.

You really know how valuable your AE storage's auto crafting is when it stops working...

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
I had a problem like that, no idea what caused it (plus my system is much smaller) but I just broke a cable and replaced it and it worked again.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
Are you sure the recipes in all interfaces are working? What happened to me was that I right clicked some ME interface with the modular power suit glove. Nothing seemed to change, the items still showed up as craftable, but the ME crafting would freeze when I tried crafting something with a component from that interface. Try breaking all interfaces used for crafting, placing them again, and put their recipes back in (you probably have already, but it solved it for me).

Not sure which version you are using, but there have been quite a bit of updates to AE recently.

Lappro

Jul 29, 2019
Are you sure the recipes in all interfaces are working? What happened to me was that I right clicked some ME interface with the modular power suit glove. Nothing seemed to change, the items still showed up as craftable, but the ME crafting would freeze when I tried crafting something with a component from that interface. Try breaking all interfaces used for crafting, placing them again, and put their recipes back in (you probably have already, but it solved it for me).

Not sure which version you are using, but there have been quite a bit of updates to AE recently.

I am using the FTB Ultimate pack so it is AE version rv.9.i updating it isn't an option since I am playing on a server (not mine).
I haven't tested al my interface recipes, since there are quite a lot, but the major problem is that the MAS is not working which is not an interface. I have broken it several times now and rebuild it but it still is not working. So I think that means the MAS isn't broken by my MPS power glove, also since it is the 1.4.7 version of MPS I don't have the wrench module available for the power glove, which might cause problems.

I have now also tried rerouting some cabling where there now is just a single connection to the MAS where there were previously 10 connections. I've tried a freshly crafted ME controller. Also tried crashing the network with a second controller and then fixing it by removing 1 of the 2 controllers.
I also made a very small test setup in my base with a simple MAS connected to a fresh and separate network to test if that wanted to auto craft and it did. So there still is something wrong in my setup but I still don't know what. I'll try breaking my interfaces and putting them back but I don't see why that would be related to the MAS, hopefully it works but it wouldn't explain the problem.

gusmahler

Jul 29, 2019
I had a similar problem. Turns out that I had an export bus set to autocraft iTNT and put it in an implosion compressor. I have no idea why, but this setting prevented all other autocrafting from working. I couldn't even make sticks. Changing that setting to just export iTNT (and pre-crafting a bunch of iTNT before-hand), solved the problem. So for now, I never have export buses set to autocraft items.

Now that I think of it, the problem may have been that crafting iTNT makes 4 of them. So if it couldn't fill the implosion compressor with 4 iTNT, it just stopped.

Lappro

Jul 29, 2019
I had a similar problem. Turns out that I had an export bus set to autocraft iTNT and put it in an implosion compressor. I have no idea why, but this setting prevented all other autocrafting from working. I couldn't even make sticks. Changing that setting to just export iTNT (and pre-crafting a bunch of iTNT before-hand), solved the problem. So for now, I never have export buses set to autocraft items.

Now that I think of it, the problem may have been that crafting iTNT makes 4 of them. So if it couldn't fill the implosion compressor with 4 iTNT, it just stopped.

Alright thanks for the tip, ill look into that tomorrow. Now that you mentioned it, it could have started when my auto craft/move tin cells export for industrial centrifuge bugged out. I put that on just move but ill check my entire system to test if removing that could work.

Anaerin

Jul 29, 2019
I had this problem a lot using the DW20 1.4.7 pack, and as I was using AE for pretty much everything, my self-maintained system kind of all fell apart every so often. I hope it's been fixed in more recent versions, but I've not had a chance to play with the DW20 1.5 pack enough to tell yet.

einsteinsci

Jul 29, 2019
I just had the same problem in SSP, except nothing will show up on my crafting monitor. My solution might work for you: break/remove a couple ME cables that connect most of your network together (ones where several sections of your network connect), then replace them. That should restart just about the entire network. I had a very small network (only 50 units/tick), so this might be more difficult for you.

OCP

Jul 29, 2019
So I found this thread when I suddenly experienced the same problem in my system in AE build rv11.c. I experienced all the same symptoms as the OP and tried all the same things I even tried resetting a lot of the crafting patterns. Then what Gusmahler said about export buses into item creation made me realize. It threw me off because anything being created automatically via a Precision Export bus was actually still functional. That there was a part in my old network that due to general laziness in clearing enough space early on I had used one ME Interface connected to two Elite Smelting Factories. One was making stone and the other was making glass. During that time I making a lot of stone brick via the smelting factory and Level Emitters. Now I hadn't really used it since then until just recently when I was building a new building and needed a bunch. And I guess it only didn't cause a problem early on because the network was so small. Changed the arrangement so that only one ME Interface touched a Smelting Factory and the system began auto-crafting the moment I setup the Level Emitters. Thanks for the tips and hopefully this helps somebody else. ;)

Interesting follow-up, somehow it managed to store all the Craft requests I had done while the system was broken as long as it wasn't something I had reset the pattern on. Lets just say now I have an absurd surplus Circuits. :eek:

Last edited: