Adjust The FTB Private Pack Feature Please

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Dragonfamily310

Jul 29, 2019
Ok so I know how people are getting rather annoyed by having to have specific permissions. What if you made it so if you contribute a mod to a modpack there would be a button you pressed that would send a request to add it to the pack. Including players username Modpack and other Mods included in the Modpack. If the person said yes then the mod would be added. if not it would say something such as "The Owner of this mod has denied your permission to add this to your pack." This would make it easier for those who want private packs to be able to add mods. Because if they Declined, that mod would NOT be added to the pack.
Go ahead and be honest about how this could go wrong and or work I wont be offended. Just asking for improvement to adding mods to the private modpacks :)

Ookami5875

Jul 29, 2019
The main problem I have with that is it is more automated. These modders put so much time and effort into their mods, is it really so much to ask for a quick PM asking if you could use the mod? I just find it more respectful that it was specifically written by the person rather than just an automated message.

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
The main problem I have with that is it is more automated. These modders put so much time and effort into their mods, is it really so much to ask for a quick PM asking if you could use the mod? I just find it more respectful that it was specifically written by the person rather than just an automated message.
Have to agree with this. Sure, it's a hassle to figure out permissions, I'm going through this right now. Some modders don't consider modpacks and don't post any sort of permission information, so I need to contact them. However, consider the benefits:
-You help FTB to improve the permission spreadsheet by getting new licensing info on mods they haven't seen/added yet (and thus make it easier for other modpack builders in the future)
-You make the modder feel good by letting them know somebody likes that mod enough to want to include it in a pack
-You *gasp* actually have to socialize :p

As for notify/request, I don't really see a problem here, either. Most mods are already listed as open permission on the FTB spreadsheet anyhow, so it's really not that difficult a process for all the relatively popular mods out there. If a modder wants a request, they probably just want to know that you actually understand what the mod is and what the permissions entail, since we ALL read license agreements and EULAs in their entirety, right??:rolleyes: Besides, I dunno' about the OP, but I'd want to know if something I made was actually being used and enjoyed by players.

Now I need to figure out how to get perms for a mod where the original author vanished and someone else ported it to 1.7.10... It's like building a base: most of the fun is in the process, not the end product....right?

Reactions: buggirlexpres

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
You forgot to mention that also it makes those playing your pack realize that you spent more than 5 minutes putting the pack together, especially if it is a mod which asks you to post links to the site, etc. or if the players know it is a mod which requires permission (e.g Reikas mods).

Also another thing about asking for permission is it just gives you that extra piece of backup if someone says to you "You shouldn't have this mod, because <author> says you require their permission..." and then you can say (in a very smug way) "Well, I'll have you know, I do have their permission" and then you can show them that you have their permission.
Also, some mod authors actually post links (or sometimes just the title) to packs that use their mod. So it could also benefit you, the pack author, as it may get your pack some recognition from the mod author, especially if they like the sound of your pack :)