Adding more substance...

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

XLT_Frank

Jul 29, 2019
I have been seeing more threads about content and substance. I have seen some packs begin to add that flare.

Where I find a huge lack in kicking this game off to a great start in not starting in a village and how crummy the they are on the landscape and dealing with world Gen. This had me thinking about other games that really made me feel absorbed into the world while still feeling in control without the grind that we see now.

Now here is where I date myself and throw out all credibility... Ultima Online... the early days of it. So why do I mention it? Mostly to reference a real town, portals to different regions to get supplies, hard mobs, protection in the town, being a ghost until you recover your body (read: separate duplicate but insanely scary dimension).

Those are cool features but content comes into this in a few ways. Adding dungeons and castles in a way that has nice above but lore and tasks below catacombs style. They are less often as twilight forest, and a bit more reasonable in appearance. You can even add catacombs under the villages.
The next step beyond that is to add community quests. Each town would have a functional library where books can be viewed that are quests. The mod would link dynamic NPCs to go find. Those quest makers can define what generic biomes they reside in and how they reside as in under ground in a cave (may need to generate it's own cave or have the mod path the npc from the surface.

You help the village and you must buy/lease your plot of land from the mayor to build your monstrosities. You can sell and buy in the village and even with other server players in the marketplaces.

Thoughts?

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
You can get that in vanilla via server play. My first and only vanilla server was great for this. Granted the map was 6 months old but it had a sprawling spawn city and about 6 active cities throughout the server. I even discovered about 3 abandoned cities, though they were locked down by anti-grief controls. The server had Bukkit plugins for classes like Merchant & Logger and trading was quite popular. I even founded my own noob town and was given reign to assign plots and establish trade with other cities. It was rather fun.

I don't know how it would be possible to get that feel completely through modded additions. Honestly, vanilla-ish servers offer a lot of what you have stated though.

Reactions: immibis

psp

Jul 29, 2019
You can get that in vanilla via server play. My first and only vanilla server was great for this. Granted the map was 6 months old but it had a sprawling spawn city and about 6 active cities throughout the server. I even discovered about 3 abandoned cities, though they were locked down by anti-grief controls. The server had Bukkit plugins for classes like Merchant & Logger and trading was quite popular. I even founded my own noob town and was given reign to assign plots and establish trade with other cities. It was rather fun.

I don't know how it would be possible to get that feel completely through modded additions. Honestly, vanilla-ish servers offer a lot of what you have stated though.
Its sad that most servers like that don't exist any more having been shut down or killed by large severs..

Not you have to have 10-15 500 buck custom coded plugins to be a *server* (discounting modded survival servers*

Reactions: RedBoss

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Smaller servers/communities seem to be the best shot for worlds like this.

The old vanilla server I joined in 2011 was pretty much as you described, just with fewer plugins. Normally 5-20 people on, we all knew each other- and it got very competitive with who was the best builder/designer. (And its still running BTW)
Very much the exception rather than the rule.

The other smaller communities are best found on the private/personal forums for Xmod.
(so if you like IC2/Buildcraft- then head to the IC2/BC forums ect)
The one I'm currently has a whitelist, and thats as far as it goes; all mobgriefing/explosives/items turned on- use at own risk and there enough communal trust to make it work.

Last edited:
Reactions: psp and RedBoss

XLT_Frank

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, this more a discussion about the need for new mods vs. server rules and guidelines.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

psp

Jul 29, 2019
Smaller servers/communities seem to be the best shot for worlds like this.

The old vanilla server I joined in 2011 was pretty much as you described, just with fewer plugins. Normally 5-20 people on, we all knew each other- and it got very competitive with who was the best builder/designer. (And its still running BTW)
Very much the exception rather than the rule.

The other smaller communities are best found on the private/personal forums for Xmod.
(so if you like IC2/Buildcraft- then head to the IC2/BC forums ect)
The one I'm currently has a whitelist, and thats as far as it goes; all mobgriefing/explosives/items turned on- use at own risk and there enough communal trust to make it work.
wow thats impressive the three servers i played in a long time ago were gone before 1.5.2 lol

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, this more a discussion about the need for new mods vs. server rules and guidelines.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
The mods you're talking about generally already exist - as bukkit based serverside plugins, as has been mentioned by others in this thread. If you want them specifically for FTB, start working on converting them to work for Forge. Also keep in mind, if there were a large need for such mods, people would be working on them already.

Reactions: RedBoss

loboca

Jul 29, 2019
Is there anything along the lines of:
  • Talk to quest giver, quest to kill this NPC, receive the quest reward, and now you can craft Iron tools (as an example).
That would be a vanilla example. Maybe for modded, you have different quest givers that are unlocked as you progress up the quests, and gain access to 'Thermal Expansion' items, or GT, or whatever. This would assume that the world is set so that certain blocks can't be broken at all (hardmode, is that what's called?), nor crafted until enabled.

Kind of like how MagicFarm has gated advancement, but with more villager interaction. A hardcoded start village with introductory quest givers, next go to Village 2 that has more advanced quest givers. Maybe limit the world travel until certain conditions are met.

For the quests, travelling to instanced ages / hard coded Mystcraft ages where you are limited to what you can achieve depending on what you have unlocked.

Just a few ideas.

edit: Given the Hardcore Questing Mod, wonder how hard it would be to integrate the book with NPCs. ie: Don't show quests until the NPC has given the quest to the player, etc.

Last edited:

XLT_Frank

Jul 29, 2019
Another idea for increasing the RPG aspects of this game is an add on to mystcraft that features a door that contains a linking book. The mean use of the door activates the book.

For example, you can have multiple player towns and the libraries are all the same by having the inside of the library in its own age. Or maybe the building needs to be bigger on the inside. :)

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I added Custom NPCs to my modpack just for the ability to creat npcs to liven up my worlds, but theres a whole bunch of interesting RPG stuff you can do like join factions and create quests. I am also playing on a custom map called Eldaria. The two combined could definitely make a very interesting framework for an RPG type modpack. But I dont play minecraft for action and adventure, I play it to build and come up with crazy rube goldberg devices.