adding more mods...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
D

Dalienx

Hey guys, im looking into running a server with one of the latest packs on, thinking direwolf or beyond etc.
but im a bit green when it comes to running servers.
how hard is it to put extra mods in, like i was thinking about adding xnet and maybe some tuffer mobs to the direwolf pack.
it cant be as simple as putting the mod files in the mod directory can it?
how do the players get sent the right files when trying to join?

K

Kiama

Fiddling with mod packs is one of my favorite things :)

it cant be as simple as putting the mod files in the mod directory can it?

It is that simple, except when it's not. There are various conflicts between mods, many of which haven't even been discovered yet.

I suggest first adding all the ones you want to see if you get lucky. If you have a crash, you'll get a report that you can either decipher yourself or post in the relevant forum to get someone else to read it for you and tell you what the conflict seems to be. If you still can't work it out you can add one mod at a time. It doesn't get a whole lot easier than that.

You'll also want to get comfortable with the config files, most of which are straight forward enough.

how do the players get sent the right files when trying to join?

I use google drive. Just make sure they have the same forge version as you, the same mod list, and the same configs.

EDIT: Also Curse has a fantastic 'export profile' option. This is particularly useful if you are mostly using mods you add through Curse. That way you just send a small file to them which they import to Curse and all the hard stuff gets done for them.

Also, rereading you seem to have the impression that anyone can join any server and just magically obtain the relevant mods. Unfortunately this is not the case. You will have to make sure they have everything in place before launching Minecraft.

Last edited:

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Get to know how your server works before getting too into it. It is as simple as adding mods into the mods folder, but some mods go on the server and some don't. Generally mods that only affect the client can't be on the server pack or it'll crash. And being that everyone on the server needs to have the same files you have, I strongly recommend nailing down the exact mods you want before going live.

But, most forge based mods play nice enough with each other. I would recommend using the curse method mentioned above because it will help ensure compatibility, as that will automatically install the most up to date mod to go with your forge version, taking out the guesswork.

Definitely 100% recommend adding only a few at a time and testing as you go because it will make it a hell of a lot easier to figure out which one is acting up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiama