Adding Gregtech into Unleashed and Finding Ores?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

CrabCow

Jul 29, 2019
Me and my friend have been playing our FTB Unleashed world quite a bit in the past month and I went ahead and re-added Gregtech.

Everything is working swimmingly and there are no complications, well, except ores.

I'm come along to the point of requiring Chrome dust for some new upgrades to my Industrial Blast Furnace and other things, but you need Ruby dust to get it after placing in the Industrial Electrolyzer?

So, if we played our world, and we add Gregtech later like we did, how do we get the new ores like the Rubies and such?

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Run lots of Redstone through a Centrifuge. ;)
This is by far the best way to get chrome.
Do NOT spend your normal rubies on chrome, it is NOT worth it in the slightest.

I would say make about 4-8 centrifuges, then set them up to some system for automatically refilling them with redstone and just let them run constantly. Making them run infinitely with redwheat or extra bees is a BIG plus.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
A Witch farm can also provide Redstone I believe, I don't know how fast though considering they also drop a lot of other junk.

Methusalem

Jul 29, 2019
Glowstone can also be converted to Redstone (pretty sure at least. :)) Witches are a good source for that in addition to their Redstone drops, Demonic Bees are another.

CrabCow

Jul 29, 2019
Looks like I got some use for my 1k+ Redstone that's been piling up recently! I'm trying to upgrade my Blast Furnace to support temperatures for Tungsten.

Looks like I can centrifuge Redstone, get rubies directly, and I can witch farm. Although how to do that last bit I don't know. We are living in a swamp but nowhere do I see witch huts.

Anything else that could help speed things up, anyone?

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Looks like I got some use for my 1k+ Redstone that's been piling up recently! I'm trying to upgrade my Blast Furnace to support temperatures for Tungsten.

Looks like I can centrifuge Redstone, get rubies directly, and I can witch farm. Although how to do that last bit I don't know. We are living in a swamp but nowhere do I see witch huts.

Anything else that could help speed things up, anyone?

If you go to the Twilight Forest and use a Transformation Powder on a Skeleton Druid, it'll turn into a Witch. Skeleton Druids spawn in those abandoned houses you find all over the place.

mushroom taco

Jul 29, 2019
Glowstone can also be converted to Redstone (pretty sure at least. :)) Witches are a good source for that in addition to their Redstone drops, Demonic Bees are another.
Redstone and gold actually.
16 glowstone makes 8 redstone and 8 gold dust. It's a powerful centrifuge recipe, almost as good as lava

CrabCow

Jul 29, 2019
Redstone and gold actually.
16 glowstone makes 8 redstone and 8 gold dust. It's a powerful centrifuge recipe, almost as good as lava

I have been making use of that Glowstone recipe. It's a shame it's a bit hard to mass-mine Glowstone in a short amount of time because of all the walking about.

To anyone really, is there a faster method than normal Vanilla mining methods (Or a quarry, one is running now) for mining Redstone in particular?

mushroom taco

Jul 29, 2019
I have been making use of that Glowstone recipe. It's a shame it's a bit hard to mass-mine Glowstone in a short amount of time because of all the walking about.

To anyone really, is there a faster method than normal Vanilla mining methods (Or a quarry, one is running now) for mining Redstone in particular?
Twilight forest hollow hills have holycraptons of that plus loads of iron glowstone and gold.
You can also find them with one of the twilight forest maps

CrabCow

Jul 29, 2019
Twilight forest hollow hills have holycraptons of that plus loads of iron glowstone and gold.
You can also find them with one of the twilight forest maps

Thank you very much, i'll be taking this advice while I wait for my metric ton and a half of Redstone to sit in the Centrifuge.

Labhras

Jul 29, 2019
Make sure you build an industrial grinder as soon as you can. I put off on building one for the longest time, but holy shit I regret waiting. Also, build a rock cutter or get a silk touch tool to make further use of the grinder.

CrabCow

Jul 29, 2019
Make sure you build an industrial grinder as soon as you can. I put off on building one for the longest time, but holy shit I regret waiting. Also, build a rock cutter or get a silk touch tool to make further use of the grinder.

Interesting. I have been putting it off due to the sheer cost of the thing, I don't know if I can do it yet. Are the benefits really that amazing?

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting. I have been putting it off due to the sheer cost of the thing, I don't know if I can do it yet. Are the benefits really that amazing?
yes.
max yield by other means is 10 for regular ore, 24 or 10 for nether.
grinder has 10/15, plus 2 tiny piles of gold dust.

grinder has similar yield to the highest IC2/other GT machines (2 iron dust for example)
but where it really excels is the byproducts. for iron ore, you also get a tiny pile of tin and nickel dust.
some grinding recipies also allow for a mecury or sodium persulfate cell for further yield increases.