About Optifine

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
But you can't tell the difference between 60-100 fps on a 60 hz monitor. But if it drops below 60 you'll see the difference. instantly.

To summarize wht zemerick said, people could often tell the difference between 60-100fps and 60fps because of microstutter, a hot topic in te graphics industry today. Fps is an average, and uusually the hhigher average will have less frequent or less drastic lows, but this isn always the case. Reviewers now test for microstutter and companies are wworking to provide consistency in frame rate.

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019
To summarize wht zemerick said, people could often tell the difference between 60-100fps and 60fps because of microstutter, a hot topic in te graphics industry today. Fps is an average, and uusually the hhigher average will have less frequent or less drastic lows, but this isn always the case. Reviewers now test for microstutter and companies are wworking to provide consistency in frame rate.
either my eyes are fooling me, or the word microstutter has a neon green rim on it, HOW U DO DAT?

Siigari

Aug 27, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Microstutter really only occurs on multi-graphics cards. That happens when the two cards do not display their frames in perfect sync with each other and one displays their frame for a slightly longer period, causing slight stutter.

This is not a 'hot topic' as it's been beaten to death since forever. Most multi-GPU setups know about microstutter and despite it being an annoyance. What you are actually thinking of has to do with vertical sync, which is where the average framerate goes all over the place from low to high and when you get high framerates on a screen without v-sync turned on you will notice tearing.

Not to be offensive, but please do not come spouting ignorance. Also do you work in the graphics industry? Because I guarantee you unless you do what you hear is not 'graphics industry' talk but consumer talk. Ugh, this picture so for you.

xXYLVAk.jpg

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
Please re-read that one.

Yes, get it, people have a license to be an ass in a passive aggressive way, but as soon as you react with hostility towards it, you're the bad guy. I'm not going to hold my tongue when someone posts a GIF saying they wfish the could punch me and calls me ignorant.

Gaz_

FTB App
Team Member
Web Developer
Global Moderator
Feb 4, 2013
Please keep discussions civil, or you may be banned by a global mod.
(Just a heads up)

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Edit/Spoiler'd --Seems I got ninja'd.

Yes, get it, people have a license to be an ass in a passive aggressive way, but as soon as you react with hostility towards it, you're the bad guy. I'm not going to hold my tongue when someone posts a GIF saying they wfish the could punch me and calls me ignorant.

It lowers you to the same level; making both of you the bad guys.
The first one was kinda funny, wheres that overly hostile reaction was just plain rude.

Siigari

Aug 27, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Alright fair enough. Maybe I was harsh and I'm sorry. Please you have to keep in mind that I do not need/want/enjoy people shooting off with the mouth first and checking their facts later. When people do that it causes confusion. Please be a good custodian and do a little research before you make a post on a forum trying to help. That's all.

McNoobly

Jul 29, 2019
I've tried playing without optifine and it's pretty good, except when i'm on lan and trying to load up new chunks.

Morberis

Jul 29, 2019
That depends on the laptop...

I have a great laptop, 2 years old now but I have no problem running or hosting the FTB pack. However if you have a laptop with an integrated graphics card and possibly a terrible CPU you might be sol. My laptop equivalent these days only goes for 800, and it should be good for at least a few more years.

Vasa

Jul 29, 2019
I think that optifine is not needed these days in 1.6.4 .
But you will have problem if you have 32bit os and less than 4gb ram.( uhh)
In 1.4.x era fps was problem but not ram.
After 1.4.x FTB Team decided to add more mods to their modpacks which causes high ram usage :( .
So if you want smooth performances you dont need optifine(except if you have really old pc) , maybe for some options like no void fog or mipmap.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I think that optifine is not needed these days in 1.6.4 .
But you will have problem if you have 32bit os and less than 4gb ram.( uhh)
In 1.4.x era fps was problem but not ram.
After 1.4.x FTB Team decided to add more mods to their modpacks which causes high ram usage :( .
So if you want smooth performances you dont need optifine(except if you have really old pc) , maybe for some options like no void fog or mipmap.
If you have a 32 bit OS get a 64 bit OS. There is no need to have 32 bit anymore, if your CPU doesn't support it; save up and get a new one. Lots of things require 64 bit anyway.
I never had an FPS problem in 1.4.7 FTB (except in my friend's base with like 150 of those multi-block apiaries, a bunch of maxed out MFR farms, and a bunch of fully automated GT machines, but at my base it was not an issues so that's fine), nor did I have a RAM problem.
I have a fairly old computer (old in terms of technology-old); about 7 years at this point. I don't have any performance issues, I have integrated graphics, and an Intel Core 2 Duo. I was running a modpack with 22 mods at 100fps last night when building a world for a spotlight. Optifine makes mods crash now, so you really shouldn't use it ever. And if you ever need tech support, like overclocking a CPU, Optifine will void your "warranty" on FTB. And for VoidFog the person that updated Zans Map has a mod that disables void fog.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
If you have a 32 bit OS get a 64 bit OS. There is no need to have 32 bit anymore, if your CPU doesn't support it; save up and get a new one. Lots of things require 64 bit anyway.
I never had an FPS problem in 1.4.7 FTB (except in my friend's base with like 150 of those multi-block apiaries, a bunch of maxed out MFR farms, and a bunch of fully automated GT machines, but at my base it was not an issues so that's fine), nor did I have a RAM problem.
I have a fairly old computer (old in terms of technology-old); about 7 years at this point. I don't have any performance issues, I have integrated graphics, and an Intel Core 2 Duo. I was running a modpack with 22 mods at 100fps last night when building a world for a spotlight. Optifine makes mods crash now, so you really shouldn't use it ever. And if you ever need tech support, like overclocking a CPU, Optifine will void your "warranty" on FTB. And for VoidFog the person that updated Zans Map has a mod that disables void fog.
22 mods? my fairly stripped down pack is running 128 mods but my similar kids system runs it perfectly well sans Optifine and I haven't felt any need for optifine since I got a mod that disables the voidfog\dimming, though I do miss the improved chunkloading which utilised multiple cores of my multi-core CPU..hurry up and get into the current gen Minecraft, multi-core cpu's are a thing now.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
22 mods? my fairly stripped down pack is running 128 mods but my similar kids system runs it perfectly well sans Optifine and I haven't felt any need for optifine since I got a mod that disables the voidfog\dimming, though I do miss the improved chunkloading which utilised multiple cores of my multi-core CPU..hurry up and get into the current gen Minecraft, multi-core cpu's are a thing now.
Only 22 mods because it's the pack I will be using for mod spotlights; it only has the essentials.

Even still, running Monster I get about 60fps stable, sometimes it drops to 30 or 40.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Only 22 mods because it's the pack I will be using for mod spotlights; it only has the essentials.

Even still, running Monster I get about 60fps stable, sometimes it drops to 30 or 40.
Heh my pack has suffered from "feature creep" it was around 90 mods initially but "oh that looks cool, hmm that is better optimised, yeah gotta have that now that bug is gone" lol

Reactions: SatanicSanta

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Heh my pack has suffered from "feature creep" it was around 90 mods initially but "oh that looks cool, hmm that is better optimised, yeah gotta have that now that bug is gone" lol
Yeah, my packs tend to do that as well. I just enjoy making overly complex systems with a ridiculous amount of mods, all to do something that a single mod can do. My pack that I'm making has about 123 mods, and I'm sure with my current playthrough of Monster, I'll be adding more :p