About Mystcraft and Servers

JoeDolca

Jul 29, 2019
I have a simple question: A friend of mine runs a small server for a bunch of guys, nothing too costly nor too powerful. We have been meaning to build a teleporting hub for our world with mystcraft linking books...

Is this safe? Is mystcraft prone to causing crashes or server issues when so many books are out at once? We've never had an issue with the books, but my friend is very wary of anything that might crash the server.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
We've been doing that on the server we use without problems. The number of books is probably nothing to worry about, but if you create a couple of dimensions and have people flying around in them generating terrain quickly, that can (will) cause problems.

draeath

Jul 29, 2019
The more ages are created with descriptive books the more disk space your server will consume.

I have not heard of any issues by having many copies of descriptive books, though. Linking books don't really do anything other than teleport you so I wouldn't expect any problems from those.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
That should be safe, the only technical issues mystcraft has is;
1. Garbage worlds: Probably not a problem in newer iterations of mystcraft but there was time where the only way to discover pages was to make world after world copying every new rune to your notebook. But now we have libraries and pages.
2. More world gen strain: If enough players generate enough ages in one go depending on how beast your server is it can cause it to lag or even crash. But this is a perfect storm instance.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
That should be safe, the only technical issues mystcraft has is;
1. Garbage worlds: Probably not a problem in newer iterations of mystcraft but there was time where the only way to discover pages was to make world after world copying every new rune to your notebook. But now we have libraries and pages.
2. More world gen strain: If enough players generate enough ages in one go depending on how beast your server is it can cause it to lag or even crash. But this is a perfect storm instance.

Just generating a single age is enough 'work' for a server to give noticable lag to other players unfortunately. Mystcraft is fine as long as you make rules on when to use it.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Just generating a single age is enough 'work' for a server to give noticable lag to other players unfortunately. Mystcraft is fine as long as you make rules on when to use it.

You are right, it can depend on the server though. It's also not just a Mystcraft problem (although more prevalent) Twilight forest and even the nether can cause a servers CPU to become over burdened.
IMHO Mystcrafts place in the SMP world is that of a Admin tool. To be used as the Bukkit plugin Multiworld was but way more powerful with a GUI.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
You are right, it can depend on the server though. It's also not just a Mystcraft problem (although more prevalent) Twilight forest and even the nether can cause a servers CPU to become over burdened.
IMHO Mystcrafts place in the SMP world is that of a Admin tool. To be used as the Bukkit plugin Multiworld was but way more powerful with a GUI.

Agree. I currently don't see much of a use for Mysctaft aside from creating quarry and void ages (for spaceships). If they had a book with just 2 buttons, "create void age" and "create quarry age" it would be fine for me too. THe main reason to use a quarry age is to prevent everyone from tearing big ugly holes in the overworld.

LoGaL

Aug 4, 2013
permastorm age for lightning rods *_* i will do it sooner or later

Vilmos

Jul 29, 2019
As people said generating the world is a bit of lag up to a lot of lag, depends on the hardware. I run a little server for my friends on a cheap i5 laptop and it can handle it no problem with just a hiccup as it generates. So I'm fairly sure that you could have a few ages made without issues. I made around 100 worlds one time to gather the pages. Never again though, I just spawn the book in now.

Mystcraft is really the best solution for giant quarry holes in the world.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
As people said generating the world is a bit of lag up to a lot of lag, depends on the hardware. I run a little server for my friends on a cheap i5 laptop and it can handle it no problem with just a hiccup as it generates. So I'm fairly sure that you could have a few ages made without issues. I made around 100 worlds one time to gather the pages. Never again though, I just spawn the book in now.

Mystcraft is really the best solution for giant quarry holes in the world.
Whether or not is lags has little to do with the hardware but whether it crashes will. You can't get a beasty enough system that's good enough to make generateing 3 worlds at once and not lag.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Whether or not is lags has little to do with the hardware

The chunkgenerating/loading stutters you get when loading new Mystraft worls has everything to do with the hardware. Especially storage speed is an issue and there's a huge difference between sharing a HD with a bunch of other servers or having a dedicated SSD.

Reactions: Francis Baster