A rather arbitrary discourse of the upcoming IE Expert Skyblock

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
Woe and woe! What misery lay before me that mine launcher doth continue such lacking of joys awaited? Alas, mine enjoyment is withheld for naught but the mysterious cause lay undetailed and left unto imaginary slights upon my person as much as may be perceived in my ignorance of truth...

Ok, gah! I can't write like that for another sentence because it's giving me a headache. :p

In case someone doesn't actually understand the sheer level of it, that was pure sarcasm and drama. There's always someone that won't make the connection.

Anyway, just itching for the new Infinity Evolved Expert Skyblock pack and map to land. Rather than do something silly like asking for a release date, I thought I'd entertain myself by subverting that urge and seeing what the community is speculating, while possibly giving staff some minor amusement and encouragement to keep up their good work.

So there we have it. When will the IE Expert Skyblock modpack drop? This weekend? A month from now?

Exercise your theorycrafting on when and why!

~~~~~

Personally, I'm going to estimate roughly next weekend, around the 26th of March. Based on what little I've seen relative to the creation of the IE Expert Mode itself, and the kinds of tweaking required for Ex Nihilo to provide an appropriate advancement pattern, and factoring staff free time being relatively similar, I am left feeling 2-3 weeks is the development and testing period prior to first release.

Waisse

Jul 29, 2019
The pack has gone to beta, shouldn't be long before a public release. If they don't release it quick enough nobody will play it because most of the community will have watched an entire Let's play series from their favorite youtuber/streamer.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
The pack has gone to beta, shouldn't be long before a public release. If they don't release it quick enough nobody will play it because most of the community will have watched an entire Let's play series from their favorite youtuber/streamer.

No amount of Let's Play series will dissuade me from playing a pack I'm interested in. Mostly because I would much rather spend my time playing the game than watching somebody else play it for me. No YouTuber or streamer will approach problems in the same methods I do (for better or worse), so their world will vary from my own with certainty.

If anyone decides not to play a pack because they watched a LP, they either don't have much imagination, or they weren't really interested in the pack to begin with. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and this is mine.

Shardiru

Jul 29, 2019
I've actually been watching DW20, Kryllyk, and Matrixis all play this pack, and even then it just makes me want to play it even more. I've played most skyblock maps out there, and none have gotten me as interested in playing as much as this pack has.

DostarrSO

Jul 29, 2019
I am right there with you. I am so irritated that this is going to release probably the week after my last spring break, from uni, in life. I have also been watching LP's left and right, and I'm totally fine with bugs and issues I just want to play. In fact, I may throw together a skyblock start akin to theirs and add in the mods they did and tweak a few recipes myself and just say...screw it.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
You know I'd like to see a sort of skyblock that doesn't involve Ex Nhilio mods.
Im not sure if this idea would be considered a sky block but id like to see one with JUST ore gen.
Like your player has just discovered where the ore from regrowth went.
You'd spawn in a dimension where theres sparce chunks of ore floating ominously. They would spawn in the same way as normal but with none of the stone dirt and other mess. Also the ore density would have to be way less.
I actually remember the Yogcast Lewis and Simon back when their shit was interesting. They played on a map that was just shperes, my ideas similar to that only the chunks of ore will be way less generous.

Because while hammering cobble sounds "fun" It's actually quite boring. I guess the sifter appeals to our love of skinner boxes but I find it rather unengaging. Then you automate the process and no longer have to manage resources.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: TheLoneWolfling

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
You know I'd like to see a sort of skyblock that doesn't involve Ex Nhilio mods.
Im not sure if this idea would be considered a sky block but id like to see one with JUST ore gen.
Like your player has just discovered where the ore from regrowth went.
You'd spawn in a dimension where theres sparce chunks of ore floating ominously. They would spawn in the same way as normal but with none of the stone dirt and other mess. Also the ore density would have to be way less.
I actually remember the Yogcast Lewis and Simon back when their shit was interesting. They played on a map that was just shperes, my ideas similar to that only the chunks of ore will be way less generous.

Because while hammering cobble sounds "fun" It's actually quite boring. I guess the sifter appeals to our love of skinner boxes but I find it rather unengaging. Then you automate the process and no longer have to manage resources.

You should play around with ore gen using COFHcore and associated .json files. You can do exactly what you describe without much effort, and you can do some crazy things to make it ieven more nteresting if you go a bit further. The options are amazing.

I have medium to large sized veins of ores spawning few and far between in my current world. Once you find a vein, you'll be set for a while, but they are quite spread out. As an addition, I enabled Agricraft resource crops, but since they require ore under the soil to function, you still have to find a vein before you can grow it. I also made Certus Quartz spawn only as stalagmites in natural caves, which makes it more rare, and thus promotes growing it from seed.

I've been tempted to make a truly wild world and then attempt to play in it, but free time is a major limiting factor these days.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I actually remember the Yogcast Lewis and Simon back when their shit was interesting. They played on a map that was just spheres, my ideas similar to that only the chunks of ore will be way less generous.

You mean Risugami's Biosphere mod?
That was a lot of fun back in the day- sailing from sphere to sphere with my trusty airship. Mob spawns were brutal too.

Sadly abandoned, but I'll have to agree it would make for a very interesting challenge pack.

Reactions: Lethosos

trinityamc

Jul 29, 2019
Why isnt There a questline? Since almost every skyblock pack has one im kind of missing that
u think that will be implemented in the final release?cuz that will make It a lot more enjoyable for those who are not that crazy into mods i think

Gesendet von meinem D6603 mit Tapatalk

trinityamc

Jul 29, 2019
You should play around with ore gen using COFHcore and associated .json files. You can do exactly what you describe without much effort, and you can do some crazy things to make it ieven more nteresting if you go a bit further. The options are amazing.

I have medium to large sized veins of ores spawning few and far between in my current world. Once you find a vein, you'll be set for a while, but they are quite spread out. As an addition, I enabled Agricraft resource crops, but since they require ore under the soil to function, you still have to find a vein before you can grow it. I also made Certus Quartz spawn only as stalagmites in natural caves, which makes it more rare, and thus promotes growing it from seed.

I've been tempted to make a truly wild world and then attempt to play in it, but free time is a major limiting factor these days.
If only we were still in school and play 12 hours a Day :)

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
well, there's somebody trying to put together a new pack...

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/any-modpackers-want-to-lend-a-hand.148998/#post-1611395

As you can see, I'm trying to talk anybody I can into doing a garden of glass skyblock, or basically anything other then ex nihilio to get a change of pace. Most folks who know how to do skyblock these days knows the tricks of it now. It's much like how after a while we where all used to using EE2 condenser flowers to get our resources.

Lets face it, ex nihilo has done so much and with ex astris the two are compatible with so many mods that it's hard to resist the temptation.

Botania has it's orechid and the skyblock version of the orechid. It's got the bee producing flower to let you sidestep hives. It's duplication feature lets many resources become non scarce. Garden of glass is a VERY good start too.

I'm sure given time we will see another equivalent exchange setup and a condencer add on (even if it does run contrary to the mod design expectations now) that a skyblock with questbook could be built around.

I could make an argument that agriculture & magic plants could make a start by pointing to regrowth.

Not sure if any other mods come to mind that have the same amounts of "something from nothing" and "more then you put in" needed to build up on a skyblock.

Honestly though, what I'm really looking forward to is that this is going to have an amusingly steep learning curve, and some insane things I can do in the endgame to actually FEEL like I've done something amazing.

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

Digdug

Jul 29, 2019
I'm trying to talk anybody I can into doing a garden of glass skyblock, or basically anything other then ex nihilio to get a change of pace.

The reason I like Ex Nihilo and Ex Astris is because they serve as a rather mod-neutral way of generating resources. They make ores that can go in a smeltery, or a furnace, or an infernal furnace and so on. After a quick review it looks like Garden of Glass is basically a Botania based skyblock. You'd need to have a pretty fleshed out questline (like Agrarian Skies level) in order to make sure everyone can find their way through the progression.

Reactions: Pyure

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019
I really liked FTB Infinity Evolved “expert mode” but I reached a point in where my cray automation of everything caused my base to just be an fps black hole. I’m really am hoping with it going to be a skyblock it should be less lag on my system and not have a massive fps spike.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Why isnt There a questline? Since almost every skyblock pack has one im kind of missing that
u think that will be implemented in the final release?cuz that will make It a lot more enjoyable for those who are not that crazy into mods i think

Dude the first skyblock didn't have quests....

That being said even Vanilla skyblocks these days have quests. Via custom items and command blocks

trinityamc

Jul 29, 2019
Yea but these days Most of them do
Anyways thats just my opinion for me
It adds the 1 thing that minecraft lacks and thats a goal and the point where u can say allright i finished this pack
I really like That

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
Yea but these days Most of them do
Anyways thats just my opinion for me
It adds the 1 thing that minecraft lacks and thats a goal and the point where u can say allright i finished this pack
I really like That
Well, you can always pick something for yourself as your ultimate goal.

You could even argue obtaining The Guilty Pool in Expert Mode is worthy of proclaiming victory over. Unless there's something else that uses even that item in it's crafting, or other additional step of insanity, then I think there's little else to rival that achievement.

Also, yay update for the Expert skyblock update! Soon I shall set up storage drawer systems so massive, it shall surpass an entire AE drive bay! I shall also not create mobtraps like Soaryn! XD

For me personally, the Expert Skyblock is going to be the last map I work on before the next stage of the modding world begins. As much as I enjoy the way Expert Mode is set up to be so interlinked, I realized I needed more reason for making myself automate all the things. Skyblocks are the perfect excuse.

trinityamc

Jul 29, 2019
Well, you can always pick something for yourself as your ultimate goal.

You could even argue obtaining The Guilty Pool in Expert Mode is worthy of proclaiming victory over. Unless there's something else that uses even that item in it's crafting, or other additional step of insanity, then I think there's little else to rival that achievement.

Also, yay update for the Expert skyblock update! Soon I shall set up storage drawer systems so massive, it shall surpass an entire AE drive bay! I shall also not create mobtraps like Soaryn! XD

For me personally, the Expert Skyblock is going to be the last map I work on before the next stage of the modding world begins. As much as I enjoy the way Expert Mode is set up to be so interlinked, I realized I needed more reason for making myself automate all the things. Skyblocks are the perfect excuse.
Dont even know what that is Havent been so far but im assuming its one of those Avaritia disgusting recipes
(i have a serious hate on this mod btw)
Never do anything like soaryn for ur own good :D
That poor dire has 2 kids to Take Care of :D
And u shouldve seen the one a Mate did on agrarian skies yesterday
It was like 15x15 and He didnt place torches on the roof
We lost 10 lives in 5 minutes :D

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
You mean Risugami's Biosphere mod?
That was a lot of fun back in the day- sailing from sphere to sphere with my trusty airship. Mob spawns were brutal too.

Sadly abandoned, but I'll have to agree it would make for a very interesting challenge pack.
Might want to look for it again, it was updated to 1.7.10. I know this because I actually messed with it not long ago (although it does funky things with ChromaticCraft pylons...)

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2