Do you like railcraft?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Etho and direwolf are the only two worth looking at in my opinion
Direwolf because he explains the mods well and Etho because he builds awesome stuff with them, however his computercraft scripts give me nightmares.

So... Many.... elseif's......ARGH! *jumps out the window*:p

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I still find Iskandar enjoyable to watch. Sl1pg8r and Dmac are still funny if repetitive. Most of the others are just too vanilla.

Though DrRageHard and BlizzardPenguin are both awesome. BP even does awesome train stuff.

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
Efficiency is one of those words that always makes me cringe slightly when applied to gaming. I game to have fun, not be efficient. I am efficient at work. I drive in an efficient manner. I mow in a certain pattern because it's the most efficient way to cut the grass.

I game to get away from all that. I play to be stupidly unrealistic and over the top. It's most efficient to play D&D with a sword and board fighter. I'm busy dual wielding candlesticks.

Too many LPer's say: We're going totally over the top with this project that needs huge amounts of power/items/fluids. Yet instead of doing something cool with it, they just thump down a Tesseract and move on. Efficiency lacks style and flair. I do understand that in some cases, such as on a server, you don't want to be running immense trains around. But Direwolf for example, has no excuse, since he's running on a dedicated server. He even said he was going to use Railcraft more this season, and then how does he harvest an oil well? Ender Tank.

I am often saddened at the creativity lost by the drive for 'efficiency'. Oh well, at least Etho is blowing himself up with HS Rail.

this really has been the embodiment of my current base projects. In fact the first response on the server was "you're doing what? Dude where's your big reactor?" Over the top ftw. You're right there are so many ways to be overly efficient but let's have fun. *note finding the smallest most compact way to do something can also be challenging and fun too. lol

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I think RC's achillies heel is the fact that a lot of other mods make flight and super speed easier to get then setting up stations.
Even Simply Jetpacks top tier pack takes less time then makeing enough tracks and setting up, and I find that sad. There was once a time when I played vanilla where my main goal was to make a public server rail station. But as soon as I played modded that desire evaporated due to the lack of need and practicality.
I really need to make myself a pack centerd around making RC more viable for logistics. Maybe when Immersive Engineering comes out properly so I can use it to substitute TE and similar mods so to remove the tesseract as a viable option.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: pizzawolf14

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Agree. I've found that the game is more fun when I limit myself to requiring trains. Even when they're completely unnecessary. One upside to the Ender IO dimensional Transceiver over the Tesseracts, is the Ender Rail, which is more reliable than a Mystcraft portal jump. As it is, I'm finally getting the hang of moving to a 2 track system, instead of the super cheap single line system. Useful to stop trains from exploding. :D

RamblinWreckGT

Jul 29, 2019
Check out BevoLJ's "Buildcraft - Single Player" playlist. His only major tech mods in that one are Buildcraft, Buildcraft Additions, and Railcraft. He does a lot of things I think you would like to see.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I really need to make myself a pack centerd around making RC more viable for logistics. Maybe when Immersive Engineering comes out properly so I can use it to substitute TE and similar mods so to remove the tesseract as a viable option.

I just went to TE's config file and disabled the tesseract for my own pack. I'm trying to make myself use the minecarts and train tracks from RC more this time round.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I wish there was a way to just disable items and fluids. I'd be okay with moving power, but the temptation of the other two gets me sometimes. That said, I really like using the Ender Tank from Ender Storage, because sometimes a cart is just unreasonable. Especially the way my pipes spaghetti themselves sometimes.

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Efficiency is one of those words that always makes me cringe slightly when applied to gaming. I game to have fun, not be efficient. I am efficient at work. I drive in an efficient manner. I mow in a certain pattern because it's the most efficient way to cut the grass.

I game to get away from all that. I play to be stupidly unrealistic and over the top. It's most efficient to play D&D with a sword and board fighter. I'm busy dual wielding candlesticks.

Too many LPer's say: We're going totally over the top with this project that needs huge amounts of power/items/fluids. Yet instead of doing something cool with it, they just thump down a Tesseract and move on. Efficiency lacks style and flair. I do understand that in some cases, such as on a server, you don't want to be running immense trains around. But Direwolf for example, has no excuse, since he's running on a dedicated server. He even said he was going to use Railcraft more this season, and then how does he harvest an oil well? Ender Tank.

I am often saddened at the creativity lost by the drive for 'efficiency'. Oh well, at least Etho is blowing himself up with HS Rail.
I think you all are mistaking 'efficiency with' 'power creep'. It's quite fun to determine how to make the most efficient thing with a given set of basic tools, though it's considerably less fun when you use a mod that just does everything in one block, and calls it 'balanced' by adding diamonds/ender pearls/nether stars to the recipe.

RamblinWreckGT

Jul 29, 2019
I think you all are mistaking 'efficiency with' 'power creep'. It's quite fun to determine how to make the most efficient thing with a given set of basic tools, though it's considerably less fun when you use a mod that just does everything in one block, and calls it 'balanced' by adding diamonds/ender pearls/nether stars to the recipe.
No, it's the users he's referencing that do that. He hates the use of that term because it's so often misused that way. Instead of referencing efficiency within one mod, like "if you arrange things this way instead, you only need two diamond pipes instead of four", he sees it used like "Why would you bother with diamond pipes? Itemducts are so much more efficient". It may be technically true (or maybe not, I just said the first things I thought), but it doesn't quite fit the intended use of the word.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Exactly. Efficiency is teleporting things, instead of using rails. It's easy on space, fuel and materials.

Power Creep would be giving diamond pipes the ability to speed up items and extract from chests. It's extremely powerful for no good reason, and is both unnecessary, and inexplicable.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Efficiency means doing things in the cheapest best possible way. It has minimal to do with balance exept for the fact that usually the overly generous OP mods will be found to be the most efficient if included in a pack.
Efficiency even if it's a dirty word for you it will be your main goal. Even if you take another route and use a less power generous mod. You will attempt to use it in the most effective manner.
Like if you planned on useing RailCraft to transport things you aren't going to pointlessly use more rails then needed, as that take longer and requires more work.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I'm not saying efficiency doesn't have it's place. I'm just saying that I'm balancing it against fun, and fun wins out. Eight hundred blocks of two lane track, to get a few cart loads of oil from a well that will dry up, shipped back to a refinery, then back to the main base? Pretty inefficient. Two ender tanks, a pump and a solar panel. Insanely efficient, ultra quick. Absurdly boring.

However, you're right, efficiency is still a part. I'm making rail ties with a carpenter, because it's 3/4 of a bucket, instead of a full one. (And a heck of a lot easier to automate.) I'm using steel in the rolling machine because it produces twice the amount of rails, for the same amount of iron. Rotary Craft to make the steel because it's faster and thus more time efficient to make than RC steel. (Which is still going, but very slowly.)

Also, I'm totally going to use pointlessly more rails, because I've gone the single line, ultra efficient route, and blown up more than a few trains because of it.