A Question about the Minefactory Reloaded Planter and Harvester

OpenWorldAddict

Jul 29, 2019
Can a planter from Minefactory Reloaded plant suger canes, and can it be harvested by the Harvester?

I am doing a build in creative mode with my own pack where I am building Orbit City, the city where George Jetson and his family lived on 'The Jetsons' tv series. I am starting with a superflat water world and building each building from the sea level up into the sky.

One of the requirements for each building is that each building must have it's own power generation plant to power all the electronic devices and machines that will exsist in the building, including all the lighting which is done with the Powered Lights (thanks to Ender IO.)

Those power generation stations must use a sustainable or replenishable fuel source, and the power generation is provided by of course the Thermal Expansion mod.

The steam dynamo is used to bring everything only since it it only requires coal or charcoal. Coal would be used to get the energy production started, but the steam dynamo would be provided by an never ending supply of charcoal. That supply would come from a Redstone furnace where wood is being burned into Charcoal. That wood comes an autotree farm using a planter to plant seedlings and then a harvester to harvest the wood when the trees are grown.

the next dynamo in each power station would be a compression dynamo. For the longest time I was looking for a replenishable fuel source for that dynamo, without having anyluck. I even tried in a test world providing the dynamo with liquifacted coal made from pulversized coal in a Magma Crucible. The thing is that I thought i would be able to pulversize charcoal and use it to make liquifacted coal, and I wasn't able to do that.

Then i found Biofuel from Minefactory Reloaded, and noticed that it can be made in a BioReactor from saplings. I realized that I can send the excess saplings from the auto-tree farm process to the bioreactor to make biofuel, which then can be pumped into the compression dynamo. Problem solved, now I have a replenishable fuel source for the compression dynamo.

The third and final dynamo that each power station will have is a Reactant Dynamo. That brings up two new problems, however. Again I want to provide that Dynamo with replenishable resources. After looking it up on the COFH website documentation for Thermal Expansion, I realized that the sludge that is created by the Harvesters can pumped into the Reactant Dynamo as fuel source. It isn't as powerful as other fuel sources, but it is replenishable.

The other problem though is that the dynamo needs a reactant resource (No duh!). So I found a potential solution that I don't know if it is going to work, and thus we get back to my question at hand. You see sugar is one of those resources that can be used as a reactant. If I can create an auto-sugar farm using the Planter and Harvester, than I can send that sugar to the dynamo, and I will also be able to send the sludge created by the Harvester to send even more fuel to the dynamo. However, this will not work if the planter and harvester will not work with sugar cane.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
You shouldn't need the planter. MFR harvester should only harvest the top of the sugar cane. The harvester also works with plants that you right click to harvest such as Agricraft and Pam's Harvestcraft. You can use just vanilla sugar cane, but if you have agricraft and breed sugar cane to it's maximum stats(10/10/10), the harvester will harvest the sugar cane without breaking the plant and you get a exponentially larger amount than using vanilla cane.

6210classick

Jul 29, 2019
Ender IO Farming station also works the same way as DriftinFool mentioned , it only harvests the top 2 reed and will ignore the bottom reed but you'll need to to supply it with hoes & at least more than 40 RF/tick constantly

will you share a pictures of your world when it's finished ? i would love to see it

Last edited:

Hlaaftana

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think there are any disadvantages of a vanilla piston farm to any other modded farm. Doesn't require power, simple setup (there's more than a hundred tutorials on youtube), pretty cheap and can be done even easier with a modded BUD switch block.

(I know I made a post before, but that was joking, now I actually prefer them)

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Also, for making biofuel, you need a lot of different items to have any kind of efficiency. Just one type of sapling is going to consume tons of saplings per bucket of biofuel. Biofuel is best done when you have a plethora of things on farm.

Reactions: Padfoote