A pack similar to ultimate with problems

CosmicThing2

Jul 29, 2019
Since I'm impatient as hell, I thought I'd go ahead and make my own pack, I know how to do it and have done it in the past. I spent probably a total of 6-8 hours downloading all the mods, sorting out ID conflicts, making sure the configs are fine, making sure the world is generating ok and then finally removing a few of the mods I thought unnecessary. Bear in mind this pack is for 1.5.2 and is very similar to the 1.4.7 Ultimate just with all the mods updated, it actually has about 10 less mods despite having a few extras that I just like having.

Problem I'm having now is memory issues; I have about 75 mods installed (compared to the 90 ish in Ultimate 1.4.7) but am really struggling on memory, I've currently allocated 2GB but just running around the world is using 1.5GB and then after 5 minutes it crashes complaining it's out of memory. I'm trying to add Ars but when I do, it won't even get to the generating stage, instead it crashes about 10 seconds after you try to create a world.

So my question is, how do I reduce this memory usage!? I have less mods than Ultimate 1.4.7 but am using 700-800mb more memory, how does that make sense? Probably 80% of the mods are exactly the same but updated, I have tried removing some to test what impact it has but not much progress has been made :(

CosmicThing2

Jul 29, 2019
you shoud give ftb more memory
you can also try this java argument -XX:MaxPermSize=128m

This isn't FTB I'm using here, this is my own modpack based off of FTB's Ultimate pack.

However I did add the argument but it didn't really improve it much.

I just don't understand how FTB Ultimate has more mods but uses significantly less memory... I've never had to allocate excessive amounts of RAM to FTB, in fact I've been running Ultimate with only 1GB and I've been perfectly fine.

Rowlanm

Jul 29, 2019
Just throwing it out there, I noticed when mojang first upgraded MC to use individual textures it would use significantly more memory and basically made it uplayable for me, I have a pretty high spec machine and im currently running ultimate with about 15 more mods.

so I think it may be down to how graphics are handled by the engine now, but then again I know nothing technical so could be talking rubbish

11philip22

Jul 29, 2019
Just throwing it out there, I noticed when mojang first upgraded MC to use individual textures it would use significantly more memory and basically made it uplayable for me, I have a pretty high spec machine and im currently running ultimate with about 15 more mods.

so I think it may be down to how graphics are handled by the engine now, but then again I know nothing technical so could be talking rubbish

do you play in 1.5.1?

CosmicThing2

Jul 29, 2019
do you use multi mc ?
if you use multi mc you can also add more ram under the tab java

Dude I know how to 'add more ram' anyway, I don't need a program to do it for me thanks.

And to be honest, I have plenty of RAM available but assigning excessive amounts seems silly to me.

Yea, maybe when the FTB 1.5.2 pack comes out properly that might use more memory too.

Just seems unlikely that they would have changed it that much though :S

Rowlanm

Jul 29, 2019
It was just a thought :)
I haven't really dabbled much in vanilla at all lately as my computer doesn't like it, my first thought was it was down to the 128bit texture pack I was using but when I disabled it, it made no difference, so pretty much gave up thinking it will be fixed on actual release when I tried again a few days ago it still pretty much crashed, and I play normal MC with 6 GB of ram :/

CosmicThing2

Jul 29, 2019
It was just a thought :)
I haven't really dabbled much in vanilla at all lately as my computer doesn't like it, my first thought was it was down to the 128bit texture pack I was using but when I disabled it, it made no difference, so pretty much gave up thinking it will be fixed on actual release when I tried again a few days ago it still pretty much crashed, and I play normal MC with 6 GB of ram :/

6GB!!??

Wow ok

Rowlanm

Jul 29, 2019
I did say I have a high end machine ;) I do run ultimate with 16 GB dedicated to it and 4 GB dedicated to other system resources. I wouldn't tend to go much higher than that tho, it is already pretty much overkill unless using a higher res texture pack

Rowlanm

Jul 29, 2019
I know but I just seemed to have lag issues with standard ultimate and upping the ram was the first thing I tried and it fixed it :)
In my current ultimate setup I have added metallurgy 2, divine rpg, mystic mods, flans mods, ars magica, and various other little ones, it doesn't like to play ball very much with less ram I've found :p
And I'm still trying to find more stuff to add in :p