A multidimensional adventure - started from scratch

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft has a Fishing Core now. There are lots of cool cores to play with. The reason I say fishing is due to the high levels of books I've fished up in 1.7.x, the enchanted gear is just a bonus, as a disenchanter can move them to books.

FYI, its an "i" in Inaeo. ;)

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

PawnedSauce

Jul 29, 2019
TL;DR Do you by any chance know the name of the resource pack you are using. OT: Its a nice way to keep everything tidy and I cant wait for the Thaumcraft, especially the way that the hill looks default

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
TL;DR Do you by any chance know the name of the resource pack you are using. OT: Its a nice way to keep everything tidy and I cant wait for the Thaumcraft, especially the way that the hill looks default
I'm using the Soartex resource pack, I think it's a mix of the "Invictus" and "Fanver" variants. I prefer the look of the former, but its mod coverage is more limited.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Nice stuff as always Ieldra.

I stopped making transmitters to take to dimensions. There's a RFTools portable porter tool whose names escapes me. You can tune it to your receiver at home and carry it around with you wherever you go. Right click to hop back home.

Probably costs more RF than the transmitter but it saves a lot of time and aggravation.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Nice stuff as always Ieldra.

I stopped making transmitters to take to dimensions. There's a RFTools portable porter tool whose names escapes me. You can tune it to your receiver at home and carry it around with you wherever you go. Right click to hop back home.

Probably costs more RF than the transmitter but it saves a lot of time and aggravation.
I tend to not make dimensions I don't want to maintain if I can avoid it. And those I want to keep I want to have a transmitter. So as a rule, it pays to bring a transmitter. It's not as if they're expensive.

Meanwhile, in my project there's a change of plans. I won't start with Thaumcraft now. Because I am FED UP with mobs. I'm going to a new dimension to make a Wither trap and get some Nether Stars, then I'm going to make a dimension with dragons (I have the dimlet) and kill one. Then I'm going to make a Draconic Bow. I spent some time redesigning my mobtrap (maybe I make some shots later) in order to get more mob heads (I hate you, EnderIO). Time I highly resent having had to spend, and in addition my fps dropped to 20- while I my base. Thankfully I won't need to do anything else here, I think.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I tend to not make dimensions I don't want to maintain if I can avoid it. And those I want to keep I want to have a transmitter. So as a rule, it pays to bring a transmitter. It's not as if they're expensive.

Meanwhile, in my project there's a change of plans. I won't start with Thaumcraft now. Because I am FED UP with mobs. I'm going to a new dimension to make a Wither trap and get some Nether Stars, then I'm going to make a dimension with dragons (I have the dimlet) and kill one. Then I'm going to make a Draconic Bow. I spent some time redesigning my mobtrap (maybe I make some shots later) in order to get more mob heads (I hate you, EnderIO). Time I highly resent having had to spend, and in addition my fps dropped to 20- while I my base. Thankfully I won't need to do anything else here, I think.

If you make a dimension with dragons remember that you better bring along that portable teleporter because the dragon can destroy the spawning platform.

Reactions: Pyure

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
If you make a dimension with dragons remember that you better bring along that portable teleporter because the dragon can destroy the spawning platform.
That would mean the dragon can also destroy the dimension's receiver? That would be bad, because it would make the dimension inaccessible. Where would I need to place the receiver in order to be safe? Down at bedrock level?

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
That would mean the dragon can also destroy the dimension's receiver? That would be bad, because it would make the dimension inaccessible. Where would I need to place the receiver in order to be safe? Down at bedrock level?

Well there is a reason I made it so that the dragon dimlet can never be gotten at random :)

What I recommend is to fly away from the spawn platform as fast as you can so that it is out of range.

Also if the receiver *is* destroyed you can always send a new receiver to the dimension by using the dimension editor. You can send over a fully charged receiver to a dimension that way.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
@McJty:
I guess it's best to keep that platform not chunk-loaded so that nothing will happen in my absence.

As for what I'm doing now, in preparation for my extradimensional Wither-killing expedition I made a multipurpose mobtrap. Here are a few pictures:

Here's the spawning area:
md046.jpg

Standard mode: if I switch off the light, this is a standard curses earth spawning area. If the lights stay on, I can activate one of the four autospawners to get only the mobs I want.

Here's how things are switched:
md047.jpg

The switches for the spawners are under the floor of the spawning area - you can see one in the background. I didn't bother running redstone connections back here because these will only be on on special occasions. The drawbridge switches between grinder mode and diamond spike mode. In grinder mode the mobs are killed by an MFR grinder and I get normal drops and mob essence. If I flip the switch and switch off the grinder, the floor will vanish, revealing a set of diamond spikes. In that mode, I'll get normal and special drops (like Enderman heads, red hearts and such) and liquid XP, and everything's picked up by a vacuum hopper. Everything with a matching storage cell in my ME system will be imported and crap drops like bows, armor pieces etc.. will be sent to the trashcan.

Here two images of the "killing ground" with and without the drawbridge out:
md048.jpg

md049.jpg

Note the positioning of the grinder - I had to put it one block away from the wall because there are some special creepers that explode under unknown conditions. The first time I did this design, the grinder was occasionally destroyed. Apparently the vacuum hopper is more resilient.

This was a little intermezzo. I resent having to do stuff like this, actually, but if I have to do it, I'll do it in a way that I have some added value beyond the functionality I need just at this moment.

Reactions: Yusunoha

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Likely cause of creeper explosion is endermini. They attack creepers (enderzoo and vanilla) on sight, so if they can't kill one fast enough...

Edit: I believe there is a config in EnderZoo to turn that behavior off.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
There's not much progress in actual building, but I wanted to show some of the stuff I've been seeing. I spent some time exploring different dimensions and liking none of them. I actually looked for a somewhat forbidding atmosphere to build my Wither trap there while I waited for the resources to build it to be produced, but found mostly boring stuff. Clearly I don't know how to use the dimlets to that purpose yet. However, when I got fed up with things I tried to make a beautiful dimension, and apparently I have a better hand for that. I didn't have time to explore a lot yet - there's more to come from this world most certainly, but here are a few first impressions:

Moons over the sea - there is one below the forest horizon:
md050.jpg

I actually have three moons, not two - the small red one I didn't get on a picture together with the other two. The moons also have phases in spite of it being eternal dawn, and that's really nice for it make some change in the sky.

The other direction - a flaming horizon:
md051.jpg

And to get an impression of this world's verticality:
md052.jpg

That house on the cliff is a random structure, not built by me. Also, note the elevation level. There are some trees on level 250.

I think I'll be able to get better pictures in future. There was some difficulty rendering all that in spite of my computer clearly being not near its limit. Likely I'll need to restart my computer in order to clean some garbage up.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Can it be that recently, worldgen doesn't rise to great heights anymore? I wanted to place my Wither trap on a forbidding crag, but nothing but Extreme Hills came close enough to what I wanted, and even that appeared tamed. Well, I left everything else to random and my world turned out all right I guess, though I'd have preferred to have a little less vegetation...

md053.jpg

The nether stars in my inventory are the first results of the trap. It's still not perfect though. Oddly enough, sometimes the Wither doesn't form in spite of everything being in the correct place. Also, I still need to flip a switch for every nether star. I'll add the counter that lets me make them by the stack later when I need them by the stack...and it also requires a quantum link with which I didn't bother for now. I'm not totally satisfied with how this turned out. Maybe later I'll find a better dimension and relocate this thing. The "Flooded Cavern" world experiment failed spectacularly in that nothing of the kind was created and there wasn't even any water.

Also notable: the dark steel for that tower took eight real-time hours to produce. I had considered using RFTools' shield generators to contain the Wither (which they can do) but I didn't want a uniform look. I could've done with by warding blocks but apart from the fact that I'm not there yet in Thaumcraft that would've required me to kill a Wither manually. I'd rather leave that task to my machines. The killing is done with a Draconic Evolution mob grinder and the loot is picked up by an EnderIO vacuum chest under the floor. The division sigils are thrown into the trashcan since I already have seven activated ones and they don't stack, taking space away from the other loot. Placement of the "raw materials" is done by autonomous activators set to activate on redstone high, oddly enough with aim set to high. A bother that they now require power...

Last edited:

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
You could always opt turtles over AAs if the power requirements are bothering you. In theory (or in practice) you could train a turtle to build the whole thing for you, then run through a hole out of the cage before it explodes.

Some nice pics in here, and I particularly like the Inferno Sky for an age dedicated to murdering the Wither.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I....did a lot of stuff since the last update. Much of it wasn't anything to showcase. I went to the End and killed the dragon in order to get its heart, then mined out the whole island for its draconium. Back home, I discovered that breaking the ore with MFR's block smasher yields 5-10 piles of draconium dust per block. In my last world, I had set up Mekanism tier 4 ore processing system just to get a reliable 5.... Hmph. Anyway, I built a draconic bow. If you ever wanted a machine gun in minecraft that just blows mobs away by the horde, this is it! Give it Power V and Infinity and you can one-shot Endermen.

Now relatively well-equipped :D for building in my twilight dimension (it's never day there so there are always mobs) I decided I needed something more in order to really start my Thaumcraft base. I went here:
md061a.jpg

What for? Well, to do this:
md063.jpg

I think I won't need any more life essence until I decide to make a tier 6 blood altar. Why did I want this? Well, I'm attempting to progress in a way that minimizes things I don't like to do. One of that is Thaumcraft's standard way of moving aura nodes. I don't mind the time or the effort, but rather the chance of deterioration. You can move aura nodes using a teleposer from Blood Magic, and so I had to make a tier 4 blood altar. However, dealing with mobs and all the killing stuff is another thing I don't like, so I made a dimension with a life essence ocean and "fueled up", so to speak, there. In addition, I don't have Taint biomes in my overworld since I set the biome weight to 1 for worldgen, and Taint biomes and "dead forest" and "dead swamp" biomes I found thematically fitting for this world. I won't make a permanent base there since the upkeep is 5500RF/t - which I could do but my current cables only transport 20KRF/t and this would limit what I could do with other dimensions. So I put an activity probe there and left. Then I proceeded to build a slate making facility with eight blood altars. Of which I would love to post a picture but I discovered the shots I attempted to make never happened. Since I dismantled the room after having finished my tier 5 blood altar (I have, of course, a fair stock of Nether Stars) I can't correct that mistake.

Impressions of my blood altar:
md061.jpg

md062.jpg

This unorthodox way of fueling up by life essence network gave me the opportunity to use runes of dislocation for the first time, go all-out on capacity and avoid the otherwise necessary runes of sacrifice almost completely - the ones left are there as placeholders where I don't need the more expensive ones, because they're one of the few runes which can be made with reinforced slates. This altar has a capacity of 309000 lp. While I was at it, I also made a set of upgraded bound armor - what a relief to be able to fill the sockets in a few seconds without any hassle at all. While progressing in Blood Magic this was, the only problematic parts were twofold: the Magician's Blood Orb, since it's not possible to have any capacity or filling upgrades on the altar when you make it and I had to make some Botania healing brews in order to deal with it. I even died once in the process. The other one is getting the blood shards for the tier 4 altar and the bound armor. That was rather a chore, even using my mob spawners for raw material.

Meanwhile, I started building up my Thaumcraft-related rooms. My magic base is located in an interesting place...
md060.jpg

md070.jpg

And here the core of my first permanent extradimensional base:
md066.jpg

md059.jpg

My first little Thaumcraft room.
md067.jpg

Note the autmated alchemy setup. I hate flux, and the first thing I usually do with alchemy is to make this automation setup, not really to automate anything but in order to do alchemy without leftover essentia fouling things up. This way I can just use jars of distilled essentia, and since I usually distill by the jar I tend to have a stock of essentia even before I automate distillation. Unfortunately I can't do balanced shards this way before I progress in Thaumic Energistics.

And here's what I did all that Blood Magic for:
md068.jpg

The final part of the first stage of my Thaumcraft base was the infusion altar. I think it looks best if I don't add a roof, especially since I planted the canopy trees in order to hang the firefly jars from them.
md065.jpg

Meanwhile, where things don't need to look good...these are my infusion stabilizers. They'll take me anywhere until I get to TTKami's Awakened Tools. Which I'll eventually make since they open up another dimension.
md069.jpg

An impression of the whole aboveground setup.
md064.jpg

Next order of business is an essentia management system. With Thaumic Energistics I won't have to use golems for that and my distillation setup doesn't need to be anywhere near my infusion altar. I don't yet know how intricate I'll make it, but I haven't made a management system covering all aspects before, so I may go all-out on that one.