A little rant

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
I currently play on a whitelisted, very close-knit server called VASS-B, otherwise known as RR's Test Server 3. Nothing is banned and it's still just random people on the internet, but we really never have any issues with griefing or otherwise.

That, IMO, is the ideal server situation.

PhantomRage

Jul 29, 2019
It's always a shame to have all your work ruined/your server ruined by random people on the internet who have absolutely nothing better to do. I remember a time when the honor system still existed in Minecraft, but it has since then degraded. I can call from experience, as most of the past servers I've played shut down due to harassment, excessive hacking etc. etc.

BIG mac

Jul 29, 2019
It's always a shame to have all your work ruined/your server ruined by random people on the internet who have absolutely nothing better to do. I remember a time when the honor system still existed in Minecraft, but it has since then degraded. I can call from experience, as most of the past servers I've played shut down due to harassment, excessive hacking etc. etc.

Only time I remember there being an honor system was when minecraft classic was the only minecraft there was. :(

Blue

Jul 29, 2019
im really surprised how this thread is turning out
Hi Blue,

If you want, you can join my Omega Dawn Server. It's Whitelisted, and as a few players, all are mature in attitude and will be running for at least 6 months.
It's designed to add to the Survival experience with Zombie Awareness and Hard Difficulty. Custom Ore generation and a few modified recipes. Has basically all the main mods apart from IC2 (and addons). Includes Mekanism and Carpenters Blocks (from your list of mods).
when was server start? and time frame for length of server left?

apemanzilla

Jul 29, 2019
I know how this feels...
When I get promoted moderator on a server:
oh hey you're a mod nice
hey can you spawn me a stack of iridium?
no
please?
no!
I won't tell the owner cmon!
*kicked*
*rejoins*
c'mon I'm your best friend
*tempbanned*
When I get promoted to admin from moderator:
oh nice you're admin now cool
can you fix this grief someone stole a stack of iridium
*coreprotect reports nothing* no one took your iridium! stop lying!
yes they did just like ten seconds ago, I need that iridium
*permabanned*[DOUBLEPOST=1390789128][/DOUBLEPOST]

Server was started ages ago.... AFAIK it'll stay up for at least several more months, if not a year. The pack we use is getting close to being released anyways :p

Link is in my siggy if you want to see the forums, although you'll need to sign up for any of the download links and server IP.

Kyll.Ing.

Jul 29, 2019
I think this kind of problems will always haunt Minecraft and its mods because of its player base.

Minecraft is a really kid friendly game. Its mods will give it longevity unparallelled by almost any other game there exists. It can be played alone or with friends, and in almost any way imaginable.

These factors make the game really popular, and it draws in a lot of kids or early teens with little to no experience on the Internet, and with manners and behaviour according to their age group. There will, at any point, be a ton of immaturity around. These people have yet to learn the social codes of (proper) online gaming or the etiquette of forums. All they want is to have fun, without regards to how their definition of fun clashes with other people. A moderator or admin is just viewed as a person with awesome powers that can be exploited for extra fun. It's a nightmare to moderate and administer.

More mature or grown-up players make less of a fuzz about themselves. They play by the rules, and use the chat as a secondary means of communication (using IRC, Skype or something similar to communicate with their friends), they know the codes, and they know how not to be annoying. A good user is usually a silent user.

This means that the chat often will be left open for the inexperienced. The more modest users stay in the shadows, leaving the chat to be taken over by the kiddies. At a glance, it will seem like the server is flooded by idiots. Usually, though, it's a case of a vocal minority, and they are vocal because they don't know better. The same can be said about certain forums.

Personally, I like to close out "the mob" and play locally hosted games with a couple of friends instead. Eventual idiots can easily be kicked out of the game, and then given an IRL whack if needed. It's OK to play with inexperienced people, but ideally you want to keep their numbers low (ideally, just one "newbie" at a time), and keep them close (preferrably in the same room). That way, you can teach them things quickly, and they can ask silly questions without bothering the entire server.

Reactions: Padfoote

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012

Just to expand on what Apeman said, yes, server started ages ago under 1.5.2, but we've reset twice since then. Now on 1.6.4 since start of December.
Server is paid for for another 6 months.

BeerHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I remember when command blocks were new, players would ask me to op them "I want to play with command blocks".

*sigh*

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
This thread is basically the entire reason I only play with people that I know and am friends with. I would probably go ban-crazy if I ever ran a public server.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
You know there's this nifty thing called a banhammer right...
Kinda looks like a sledgehammer only the face has GTFO embossed in a utilitarianly manly font.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
The best servers I have ever played on have been my own where I only ever play with friends and friends of friends. I make everything custom. I dont leave anything default, even if its a modpack I mess with the configs and enable/disable stuff.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

Jamierb03

Jul 29, 2019
I think this kind of problems will always haunt Minecraft and its mods because of its player base.

Minecraft is a really kid friendly game. Its mods will give it longevity unparallelled by almost any other game there exists. It can be played alone or with friends, and in almost any way imaginable.

These factors make the game really popular, and it draws in a lot of kids or early teens with little to no experience on the Internet, and with manners and behaviour according to their age group. There will, at any point, be a ton of immaturity around. These people have yet to learn the social codes of (proper) online gaming or the etiquette of forums. All they want is to have fun, without regards to how their definition of fun clashes with other people. A moderator or admin is just viewed as a person with awesome powers that can be exploited for extra fun. It's a nightmare to moderate and administer.

More mature or grown-up players make less of a fuzz about themselves. They play by the rules, and use the chat as a secondary means of communication (using IRC, Skype or something similar to communicate with their friends), they know the codes, and they know how not to be annoying. A good user is usually a silent user.

This means that the chat often will be left open for the inexperienced. The more modest users stay in the shadows, leaving the chat to be taken over by the kiddies. At a glance, it will seem like the server is flooded by idiots. Usually, though, it's a case of a vocal minority, and they are vocal because they don't know better. The same can be said about certain forums.

Personally, I like to close out "the mob" and play locally hosted games with a couple of friends instead. Eventual idiots can easily be kicked out of the game, and then given an IRL whack if needed. It's OK to play with inexperienced people, but ideally you want to keep their numbers low (ideally, just one "newbie" at a time), and keep them close (preferrably in the same room). That way, you can teach them things quickly, and they can ask silly questions without bothering the entire server.
I hate to tell you but my biggest problems were from grown men, we had kids that were ten times more mature then some of the 20 to 30 year olds who acted like complete morons, so some of those kids out there are better then the adults. We now have a private server with no rules or bans and my kid is loving it, especially now he does not have to babysit adults.

krugle

Jul 29, 2019
My old server I ran was great 20 tps great dedicated smallish group of players, never really any griefers we had the honor system which was great. However I was the one dishing out a small fortune every month keeping it going with no help from anyone. I really want to find a group of adults to play with where everyone splits the cost of a good server evenly, but alas I doubt that will ever happen.

Mingan

Jul 29, 2019
Agreed, Krugle. The cost was what made me shut mine down too - i did see a thread on the subreddit recently from a guy attempting to set up a new server but due to the same experience as us suggested a crowdfunded effort to keep it running.

I'd still worry about how to vet random people from the internet though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
This thread only reaffirms my position of being extremely picky about who even gets the IP of a server that I host. :confused:

My server generally has exactly one rule ("Be excellent to each other") and it has never, not once, been violated by anyone. Going public with that kind of setup (or even inviting whoever sends me a PM asking to join) will fail within two minutes of the world finishing to load. And I honestly feel no desire to invest any time in devising rules after I already spent 20 hours building the modpack in all detail.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
My old server I ran was great 20 tps great dedicated smallish group of players, never really any griefers we had the honor system which was great. However I was the one dishing out a small fortune every month keeping it going with no help from anyone. I really want to find a group of adults to play with where everyone splits the cost of a good server evenly, but alas I doubt that will ever happen.

So, uh, yeah.......About those TPS reports. It's just we're putting new coversheets on all the TPS reports before they go out now. So if you could go ahead and try to remember to do that from now on, that'd be great, M'kay?

couldn't resist :p

zedin

Jul 29, 2019
I have a server running on a spare machine and currently am the only one on it. Have thought about listing it or seeing if folks want to join but now I think I might just keep it just me on the server =p Always enjoyed playing with others but always hard to find folks who don't go nuts.