A little rant

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Blue

Jul 29, 2019
uh running a server can be fun but the people that play on it can be so asinine.

blue add ICBM
no its buggy and crashes
blue add icbm
no i dont even think thats mood been updated since 1.6.2
blue add icbm
you only want it to stock pile WMDs and have made comments how you love to blow up people's bases
blue add ICBM
here is a link to show the forum page were people are posting all the time bug reports
blue add ICBM
-_-
*shuts server down calls it a day end hosting for everyone*

other people get on my nerve to so many things

--------
blue i cant log in bad server name
me: mojan is down
blue why cant i log in
me: i have nothing to do with your client failing to launch right mojan a support ticket!

--------

blueeeee the server is lagggyyyy i place blocks and it takes 1-2 secs for them to appear why your server stupid!!!!
me: the server is hosted in america and you are in britain!
blue why is your server laggyyy
me: *face pound keyboard*

------

*every one on servers whining to me*
blue why is the server laggy!
me: well stop running around in twilight forest for hours on end causing world gen non stop!
blue but it should not be laggy, we want to explore why your server so stupid!

---

blue the client will not launch
me: did you check your java installs for extra java installs
blue i know you been telling me everyday to do that for a week now but im sure thats not it help me my ftb client will not launch!
me:face pound keyboard* just check for me alright!
blue i dont know how to view my install/uninstall window in the control panel
me:*has why me imprinted on forhead as he bangs head into keyboard*

---

blue why is the server laggy!
me:because your friend has been making mystrcraft ages for the past hour and lagging everyone
blue make the server less laggy
me: then help me convince your friend to stop what he is doing
blue you tell him to stop
me:rip keyboard*

-----

me: why do you need ten fusion power plants and every other power plant one can build -_-
blue cause i want to isn't it neat
me: you have a small base you don't need all this your adding to tick rate lag
blue i want this don't tell me what i cant do screw the server tps!
me: -_-

-----

ok a little more than a rant today but today was last straw and closed it so sick of players never thinking what they do can impact the servers health and then whine to me to fix everything

so ya im done hosting for a while even though i have a month left on my 5g rental server

im in the market to play on someone else server my interest is direwolf20 and mods i like that are added are mek, jabba, chisel, carpenter, magical crops, and a bonus is atomic science

im also a power builder. i will build a large base with complex automated machines that serve a purpose

Blue

Jul 29, 2019
blue op me pls
surprisingly those request were not asked really at all. one was because it was there birthday. op for a day to build a house out of basic blocks and another wanted to dismantle a ton if i recall right harden glass he had place

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm. Something about this sound very familiar.....

Pack Owner: Adds ForgeIRC to pack and puts giant disclaimer that it's there, what it does and how to remove it.

"how 2 get rid of dis chat"
"are you in my world"
"IS THIS A SERVER"

PsionicArchon

Jul 29, 2019
Back when I used to stream I ran a server for my viewers. Let me tell you, the "joy" of involving those that watch your stream just isn't what you end up expecting it to be. The ends will never justify the means and, you end up feeling rather used when all is said and done.

Some of my own simple examples:
1.) I recommend that players build at least one thousand blocks away from spawn. This was an attempt made in vain to discourage griefing. I had one player simply plop down twenty blocks away from spawn only to have his chests destroyed by a new player. Hours of complaining later this person simply left, never to return.

2.) I have an exploration rule. If you're going to wander twenty thousand blocks away, please use the Nether for transportation. This cuts down chunk loading and, inevitable world bloat. The first thing one of my players decides to do is hop in a boat, full speed ahead until he finds a land mass that meets his rather strict specifications. I played the role of Poseidon in an attempt at discouraging this person by summoning a massive wall of water via World Edit.

3.) The die hard, shootem'up, diet soda drinking, no attention span, PVP'ers. What is it with Minecraft users and, having to "be the best!" I can't tell you how many instances involved one player deviously screwing another for the sake of "gaining the advantage".

4.) Users that take advantage of every known exploit the instant they gain access to a particular item are a dime a dozen.

Running a public modded Minecraft server is a lot like hosting a party for a bunch of angsty teenagers. There's no real gain and, you spend ninety percent of the time cleaning up messes. The "fun" part only factors in long after your users have gone to sleep and, you're left wondering: Why the hell am I doing this again?

Grab a few trusted friends, deny everyone else. You'll hate life a little less.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
All the stuff you guys mention not only annoys you. It is the reason I don't play on servers. I am 36, don't want to deal with stupid kids or selfish people(griefers, etc). I would love to have a small server to play on with responsible people, but no one I know IRL plays. Watching things like Forgecraft make me wish I could find a place like that. Other than the occasional practical joke, those guys can trust each other and don't need any kind of protections. Also no banned items. Too bad you can't find a server like that very easily. The idiots ruin it for everyone. I don't blame you guys at all. I know how annoying people are from the time I did play on one and I was responsible for nothing like you are as owners.

Blue

Jul 29, 2019
Back when I used to stream I ran a server for my viewers. Let me tell you, the "joy" of involving those that watch your stream just isn't what you end up expecting it to be. The ends will never justify the means and, you end up feeling rather used when all is said and done.

Some of my own simple examples:
1.) I recommend that players build at least one thousand blocks away from spawn. This was an attempt made in vain to discourage griefing. I had one player simply plop down twenty blocks away from spawn only to have his chests destroyed by a new player. Hours of complaining later this person simply left, never to return.

2.) I have an exploration rule. If you're going to wander twenty thousand blocks away, please use the Nether for transportation. This cuts down chunk loading and, inevitable world bloat. The first thing one of my players decides to do is hop in a boat, full speed ahead until he finds a land mass that meets his rather strict specifications. I played the role of Poseidon in an attempt at discouraging this person by summoning a massive wall of water via World Edit.

3.) The die hard, shootem'up, diet soda drinking, no attention span, PVP'ers. What is it with Minecraft users and, having to "be the best!" I can't tell you how many instances involved one player deviously screwing another for the sake of "gaining the advantage".

4.) Users that take advantage of every known exploit the instant they gain access to a particular item are a dime a dozen.

Running a public modded Minecraft server is a lot like hosting a party for a bunch of angsty teenagers. There's no real gain and, you spend ninety percent of the time cleaning up messes. The "fun" part only factors in long after your users have gone to sleep and, you're left wondering: Why the hell am I doing this again?

Grab a few trusted friends, deny everyone else. You'll hate life a little less.
this is group of friends and there friends on a white listed server -_-

back in day i had a very large and active greylisted bucket server but at least bukit had plugins to manage mass amounts of players[DOUBLEPOST=1390704528][/DOUBLEPOST]
All the stuff you guys mention not only annoys you. It is the reason I don't play on servers. I am 36, don't want to deal with stupid kids or selfish people(griefers, etc). I would love to have a small server to play on with responsible people, but no one I know IRL plays. Watching things like Forgecraft make me wish I could find a place like that. Other than the occasional practical joke, those guys can trust each other and don't need any kind of protections. Also no banned items. Too bad you can't find a server like that very easily. The idiots ruin it for everyone. I don't blame you guys at all. I know how annoying people are from the time I did play on one and I was responsible for nothing like you are as owners.
luckly i can trust these people on my server to not grief and play nice, its just all the tech support they want and request that drives me bonkers[DOUBLEPOST=1390704627][/DOUBLEPOST]
This part of the reason my server is sitting on the desk next to me and the only people allowed on the server have to be in the same room as me to connect to it, makes telling someone they are being a twit considerably easier.
its hard when your an adult to invite poeple to come over for minecraft play. why a 24/7 is needed we all have jobs, well most, and things make us not be able to play all at the same time

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Luckily, I'm a mooch who just plays on someone else's server :D

There are some of us who aren't entirely stupid and do a good job at trying to keep the server in top condition and don't bug the admins/owners.

Although recently, I ran into a server whose owner insisted on not resetting the world for months on end. He finally caved in to a daily reset just so we'd shut up.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
its hard when your an adult to invite poeple to come over for minecraft play. why a 24/7 is needed we all have jobs, well most, and things make us not be able to play all at the same time
Very true, my server is basically for me and my kids (and their friends) both my daughter and my son have bases in the world as do a couple of their friends. I set it up for me really since I like having a persistent world to play around in, the kids however thought it was great that they could play with their mates and their old man in the same world so win win from my point of view :D

Blue

Jul 29, 2019
Very true, my server is basically for me and my kids (and their friends) both my daughter and my son have bases in the world as do a couple of their friends. I set it up for me really since I like having a persistent world to play around in, the kids however thought it was great that they could play with their mates and their old man in the same world so win win from my point of view :D
thats really awesome you play with your kids. i love hearing stories of parents that spend time on the computer with there kids. most parents just let there kids loose on the net to troll all the forum boards

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Hi Blue,

If you want, you can join my Omega Dawn Server. It's Whitelisted, and as a few players, all are mature in attitude and will be running for at least 6 months.
It's designed to add to the Survival experience with Zombie Awareness and Hard Difficulty. Custom Ore generation and a few modified recipes. Has basically all the main mods apart from IC2 (and addons). Includes Mekanism and Carpenters Blocks (from your list of mods).

Reactions: apemanzilla

Jamierb03

Jul 29, 2019
I set up a server for my son who plays endless hours, so I wanted him to get somthing out of the experience then just playing. Like learning to code, dealing with real life issues, management skills. But after two weeks of people constantly breaking the rules, being aggressive toward him to the point I had to get on and start banning people. It just took all the fun out of the game for him. Now he just stopped playing it all together and went back to playing WOT's. I ended up whitelisting the server for now I too will close it when my subscription runs out. I really thought the FTB crowd was more mature from the statements I see on here, but unfortuanly that's not what we got.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I really enjoyed playing on small closed servers with a small group of friends. But the problem is just that my preferred play style clashes with that. I like to spend months on grand projects with intricate tech, architecture and landscaping. I can spend hours on end just placing microblocks to smooth something out, or filling in seas or creating new mountains. And that just doesn't work if the other people on the server don't care enough to not use quarries in overworld for example.

And I like to build on my builds for up to 5-6 months if possible. From my experience there is always something on a server that gives up before that. Its hard to find a group of people who are all careful and attentive of not causing massive TPS problems. There is always a few that has to go over the top for no apparent reason. Remember someone who build his base in the spawn chunks, left a automatic chicken spawner on and logged off for a month. We struggled with lag for weeks before finding the issue.

So since I have been sticking to single player. Might play multiplayer again sometime, but it all depends on finding 3-4 people with the almost exact same interests.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
I set up a server for my son who plays endless hours, so I wanted him to get somthing out of the experience then just playing. Like learning to code, dealing with real life issues, management skills. But after two weeks of people constantly breaking the rules, being aggressive toward him to the point I had to get on and start banning people. It just took all the fun out of the game for him. Now he just stopped playing it all together and went back to playing WOT's. I ended up whitelisting the server for now I too will close it when my subscription runs out. I really thought the FTB crowd was more mature from the statements I see on here, but unfortuanly that's not what we got.
A lot of the people who actually post on the forums are not the one's looking around for servers. A lot of people in those thread will only have a few posts just in the server section.

Jamierb03

Jul 29, 2019
A lot of the people who actually post on the forums are not the one's looking around for servers. A lot of people in those thread will only have a few posts just in the server section.
I wished we had some of these people that came :-( it got so bad I'm having a hard time even getting him to want to play again, I've decided to just close the server to just him and his friends. It was a bad experience for him. But we still love FTB

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
I wished we had some of these people that came :-( it got so bad I'm having a hard time even getting him to want to play again, I've decided to just close the server to just him and his friends. It was a bad experience for him. But we still love FTB
Most of us are just looking around for a nice invite ;), we don't like the people the we end up with in forum section.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019

I think you were on the right track about wanting him to get more out of the experience, but surviving as a target on the internet is maybe more of an advanced lesson ;D Whether you're the chief operator of an internet server, game developer, youtuber, or celebrity, you get confronted regularly with the worst behavior people can muster and that they wouldn't dream of trying to get away with in a similar real-world situation. It's very difficult and learning when to respond, when to ignore, and when to ban is very difficult. Your son can still learn about teamwork and collaboration by playing Minecraft/FTB with his friends, but Joe Random can go elsewhere.

EnzymeA113

Jul 29, 2019
Generally when setting up a server, it pays to disable PVP, install anti-griefing and spawn protection mods, and be prepared to permanently ban someone at the lift of a finger. Also, use Minetweaker to disable items that might potentially cause complications.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I used to play on servers but it is hard to get players who would think for the ops and server's well being. And me being in asia doesn't help much either since most servers I see are from the states, europe or Australia.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk