A Little Out of Depth

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Jul 29, 2019
Hi all. I have played Tekkit / Technic pack alot. So i am fairly familiar with some of the mods included in this Feed The beast.

As always when jumping from one pack to another there is a steep learning curve. I am happily able to admit I am damn confused (lol)

I would like to know a few things. I know there are some good tutorials out there and I have read them ( Sorry can't remember the authors names!)

Firstly on Tekkit there was a rod that would tell you the value of the ore in an area when used Is there an item similar or equivalent to it? I believe it was part of Equivalent Exchange.

Also i have heard others talk about other dimensions and using quarries or getting power from other dimensions, How would i go about that? Considering i started my Feed The Beast world about 15 minutes ago and am therefore still building a home and locating a suitable mine.

Any and all help is very much appreciated.

Many thanks

ThisIsOneCrazyMonkey

Narcisism

Jul 29, 2019
For the rod: No, there isn't anything like the divining rod at the moment :(
For dimensions: Go look up the Mystcraft wiki (I'd link it, but I don't actually know it off the top of my head). Mystcraft is the mod that adds the dimensions. I'd also suggest watching Direwolf20's Season 4 SinglePlayer Let's Play. It's a bit out of date on some things (MFFS has changed a bit, for example), but it should get you started, and there is an episode with what he does to get power across dimensions.

Jul 29, 2019
Okay thanks :) I didn't know if there was a wiki on any of the other mod packs. I know some of the wiki's i went to had no information at all or were too irritating to navigate.

Thanks for the reply.

Also any other information is still welcome.

ThisIsOneCrazyMonkey

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, the divining rods are from EE2. However, IC2 has the "scanner"s ( OD and OV. IIRC OV is better ) that perform the same function.

You have a couple choices on dealing with other dimensions. The simplest is to just treat it as a separate location. This is what I usually do, especially early on. Just handle the quarry like normal, it's powered right there, and a chest gets the contents.

From there, you can ender chests to collect stuff from the quarry and pull it out in the Overworld. You can also use them to supply fuel from the overworld for your BC engines.

Alternatively, you can use Mystcraft portals and Railcraft to move stuff around.

Edit: You can find the mystcraft wiki at binarymage.com

Others, just google the mod name and wiki. The major mods like BC, IC2, etc. have good wikis. Forestrys is a bit low quality and Steves Carts is outdated though.

Jul 29, 2019
Mystcraft and Railcraft are two mods i have never bothered to delve into. At the moment i am contemplating finding some people in similar positions to me and try and get a server running where we can learn together. But for me to do that I shall have to get a new Desktop lol.

Again, Thanks for the replies and please keep them coming.

ThisIsOneCrazyMonkey

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Want to look into Mystcraft. It's pretty awesome to be able to create your own custom worlds:) It can be a bit powerful when combined with other mods, but not too bad.

I personally recommend using creative to cheat in a full "Notebook", because otherwise you are just going to be creating massive amounts of ages for no reason other than to slowly fill in your notebook. 99% of those ages you will end up never using. ( Do note that using NEI cheat mode does not give you a full notebook. It needs to be creative mode. )

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you for the link. I don't usually use forums to find out things i normally just use trial and error swear a few times then look at Youtube. But for once Youtube has indeed failed me. Every video has been very entertaining hence i got the mod. But None of them were familiar with what to do. They were in similar positions as I.

Again All information is very welcome and I am looking at the sources each of you have posted.

Please keep them coming!

ThisIsOneCrazyMonkey[DOUBLEPOST=1355447774][/DOUBLEPOST]Zemerick I am unfamiliar with Mystcraft, never used it before so therefore have no idea what the notebook will do. But i shall get round to finding it in the Mystcraft wiki!

Thanks for the reply

all information is appreciated.

ThisIsOneCrazyMonkey

danny75

Jul 29, 2019
Go watch Direwolf20's mod spotlights that were uploaded in the last 3 months or so. He has the insider knowledge and has been playing with the beta pack with the modders and devs. The vids serve as a great primer and make that steep learning curve a little easier to climb.

Jul 29, 2019
Danny75 yeah i shall do that. But currently i am watching avidiyas and coe's series (Sorry for wrong spellings!) they are great people and amusing to watch. I shall finish with their videos and then i shall watch Direwolf20's.

Again thank you for the reply

ThisIsOneCrazyMonkey

danny75

Jul 29, 2019
Danny75 yeah i shall do that. But currently i am watching avidiyas and coe's series (Sorry for wrong spellings!) they are great people and amusing to watch. I shall finish with their videos and then i shall watch Direwolf20's.

Again thank you for the reply

ThisIsOneCrazyMonkey

coincidence....i'm doing exactly the same thing...only because it's interesting to see how vanilla players handle all the technical stuff. They're making tonnes of simple mistakes, but i suppose it's the best way to learn. they're also a lot more creative as a result, so hopefully i can borrow some ideas. they went with IC2 as a starting point...but i'd still recommend thermal expansion.

ps,,,loved the bit with avidya staring at the rubber tree for ages trying to figure out how to get the sap.

Jul 29, 2019
Lol yeah Avidya and Coe are the two i am finding most amusing mainly due to the fact they knew nothing about the pack! But yes i do plan on looking up some servers for beginners if such things exist lol

ThisIsOneCrazyMonkey

danny75

Jul 29, 2019
Lol yeah Avidya and Coe are the two i am finding most amusing mainly due to the fact they knew nothing about the pack! But yes i do plan on looking up some servers for beginners if such things exist lol

ThisIsOneCrazyMonkey

i'm on a whitelist server atm, over 18s only though. if you're interested, pm me and i'll forward more details.

Jul 29, 2019
I have messaged you. But please remember i am completely lost with this pack. Still finding my way haha.

Thanks to all who have responded with information

ThisIsOneCrazyMonkey