A little help on Server specs and just general advice!

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

UK_Miner

Jul 29, 2019
So, after much consideration I have decided to create a FTB server (once it is official released ofcourse). My questions are these:

- What RAM specifications should I order with the server? I have been testing but can't test with too much as I only have 6gb RAM, so been testing with 4gb to server.
-Whitelist, greylist or public? (I will go into greater detail below)
-What would you like to see from moderators and admins? (Yes, this will be my first "real" run server)

As with the whitelist, greylist, public issue, my thought behind it is this, I don't really want to put say £20-30+ a month into something I wont, not make money from but I don't want to see it go down the drain. So my idea was to have it whitelisted and to gain access you can win competitions, donate or monthly payments. Or a greylist/public server where the overworld and mining world are free, but you can donate/pay monthly to get your own private mystcraft world. :)

Well that's my little post finished, I just want to say thanks to any replies I get and any help recieved is really appreciated!

Luke_H

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds like a good idea, however I have some questions for you:
How many users do you ideally want to start off with?
How large with the world or worlds be? (Always advised to have limitation on worlds to stop griefing by running 200k in one direction making your world size 10gb)

As for the white-list/greylist, always have a white-list, just always have one. That way you know exactly who is going on your server, and to be double safe, add a permissions system to it as well, having a white-list quickly resolves griefers as you can recognize patterns easier, etc.

Always good to have a donation button up, especially if you provide a great server.

SabinD

Jul 29, 2019
I've always felt iffy about public servers to be honest. On the other hand, if you make it whitelist invite only, you'll be restricting it to people you know. I think it is totally up to you, the admin, of how you want to do it. Maybe create some sort of sign up thing, do some research, and then add the person to a whitelist?

Also, you could look at doing a separate world for trusted/paying members and then just have a world for free members to use.

Overall, I have some bad experiences with people on a tekkit server I was on a while back. People "follow the rules" but take advantage of them and bend them just the right way.

So yeah, totally up to you and how much exposure you want! :D

UK_Miner

Jul 29, 2019
I've always felt iffy about public servers to be honest. On the other hand, if you make it whitelist invite only, you'll be restricting it to people you know. I think it is totally up to you, the admin, of how you want to do it. Maybe create some sort of sign up thing, do some research, and then add the person to a whitelist?

Also, you could look at doing a separate world for trusted/paying members and then just have a world for free members to use.

Overall, I have some bad experiences with people on a tekkit server I was on a while back. People "follow the rules" but take advantage of them and bend them just the right way.

So yeah, totally up to you and how much exposure you want! :D

With regards to the free users world that is what I was thinking with the greylist idea, have people who pay monthly have there own mystcraft world to do as they wish (within reason of course) :) And I totally agree about the completely public server thing.

Ideally Luke I would put a post up on the forum about the server, get a few members to start with to help create a spawn area and then start really advertising, again on the forums, getting members to join, building a community, etc. Maybe even a website if it gets big enough, who knows!

But thanks again guys for the advise, any advise on the tech side of things? Like I said I have done some testing (I'm actually doing some as I type), stress testing with multiple world, but there is only so much I can do. If anyone has any information about this that would be fantastic as I would know what sort of package to be looking for.

SabinD

Jul 29, 2019
I'm still doing what limited research I can do for FTB, but I was able to run tekkit on a 1 GB server on a restart if empty every 3 hours. 4 GB is what is recommended for tekkit...so FTB should be similar. If you do 6 GB of ram you will be set I am pretty sure. I had a server hosted by CubedHost and they are amazingly reliable (not an advertisement, but I will accept payment if you anyone from CubedHost is reading this :p). I was running an i5 on there, don't remember the clock speed though.

UK_Miner

Jul 29, 2019
6gb sounds about right, I have been running a small private one off my desktop with 4gb and it runs fine, all I get is a "can't keep up" message whenever a world is created. I will take a look at cubedhost, and I have heard good things from mossycobble and creeperhost so I will look at there packages too, for the sake of other people doing research into server specs I will keep posting my findings here :)

Cieronph

Jul 29, 2019
Trust me Iv'e moved my server bout 6 times (note it wasn't modded) and i can give you a large list of providers NOT to goto, but here is a quick lowdown on what i would recomend looking for, Ensure you have full VPS access (DON'T even look at a non vps), Ensure there are no extra hidden fees. Finally I would always recommend speaking in a pre-purchase chat with the provider staff (no one knows more about that specific server than them) so you can really make sure they're right for you, if they promise you anything make sure you get it in writing and you will be fine. If you wan't any advice on providers feel free to contact me.