A fully automated diamond factory

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
The problem: A familiar one: not enough diamonds. MFFS needs tons of those. I know of two mods that provide ways to make diamonds from coal: IC2 and RotaryCraft. IC2's way is fairly complicated but probably not too hard to automate with Applied Energistics autocrafting. However, it is inferior to RotaryCraft's process which gives you one diamond for 16 coal instead of 64. Automating that, however, is a little tricky because of the compactor's slot mechanics, unless you want to go "brute force" and use four compactors, which would also require 16MW of power (equal to about 4kRF/t).

Once connected to your power and storage system, this diamond factory will continuously convert coal into diamonds at a 16:1 rate using one RotaryCraft compactor, in batches of 2048 coal, creating 128 diamonds per batch and stopping only if you switch it off or you run out of coal. Power requirement is a fairly modest 4MW (about 750 RF/t).

The pictures first:
DiamondFactory.jpg

DiamondFactory2.jpg

Built into the wall is a standard RoC compactor setup powered by a magnetostatic engine. At the heart of the contraption on the left is the black block at its centre: a Transvector interface. It is linked to the compactor and allows me to connect five additional pipes to it, even though the compactor has two sides occupied by heating and power. For all intents and purposes, the Transvector Interface is the compactor.

The logic goes like this: each of the four iron chests stores the raw material for one of the four stages of the diamond creation process, starting with coal. Products will be drawn out of the bottom, intermediate ones routed to their chests and diamonds down below the floor into my logistics pipes system. For each chest except the last, an iron AND gate checks if the chest is empty. If it is, it activates the pipe signal which is detected by the gate next to it, which will then activate the redstone signal controlling the itemduct pulling the raw material for the NEXT stage of the creation process into the compactor.

Note: If the chest for any given stage is empty, then it means one of two things: either the creation process hasn't reached this stage yet, in which case it is unproblematic to activate the itemduct since the next chest won't have any items in it either, or all raw material for the current stage is at least in its itemduct, which means the chest for the next stage has items, and its itemduct can also be activated, since the items for the next stage won't be able to get into the compactor until its slots are empty, and that won't happen unless the itemduct has delivered all of its content and it's all processed.

Meanwhile, as the diamonds are created, there is a logic gate attached to the logistics pipes Mk2 (!) Extractor that emits a redstone pulse every time a diamond is extracted from the bottom chest. The Counter counts them (picture 2). As soon as the count has reached 0 from 128, that means that the 2048 coal of a batch have been converted into 128 diamonds, and it will (1) loop back to reset itself to 128 and (2) activate the signal that will reset the counter on the floor above to 16 (from 0). Resetting the counter will activate the Timer which will start to pulse, each pulse activating the Logistics Pipes Mk3 (!) Extractor module for a very short time (gate is set to "redstone signal off = disable pipe") which will draw 2 stacks of coal out of the diamond chest (amount seems reliable based on experimentation). At the end, it will have drawn 16x2 stacks of coal (2048) into the chest for the raw material for the first stage. The itemduct drawing from there into the compactor is controlled by the factory's main switch. If you leave it on, the process will continue as long as there is coal in the diamond chest. You can use the diamond chest either as an item sink for coal in a Logistics pipes system (fed from below) or if you use AE for storage, set an export bus exporting your coal there.

So why batches of 2048? Well, for the compactor to work, all four slots must be filled with equal amounts of raw material for the current stage, so unless you have some external logic being able to control the amount of items that goes into each of the four input slots, you'll need enough coal that the last stage of the process starts with four full stacks.

So, that's it. I'm sure it won't be long until someone comes with a simpler design, but that's ok. I don't pretend to be the best Minecraft automation designer. Still, there are so many tried and proven ways to do things that the opportunity to come up with a new design is fairly rare. Anyway, I'm fairly satisfied with this. There may still be one kink in the system: in my last test, it appears to have lost some raw materials at some intermediate stage as I didn't get four stacks of Lonsdaleite out of my 32 stacks of coal. Hard to say since I was still making changes to the setup and sometimes I inadvertently knock off pipes. I'm going to run a final test. It is possible that some items in stuffed itemducts can be lost if you leave the game and re-load, and since a batch takes several hours to process.

Last edited:

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Very interesting. Note that if you have magical crops mods you can also use RotaryCraft to automatically harvest diamond seeds (with latest verstion of RotaryCraft: 23d this actually works now).

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Very interesting. Note that if you have magical crops mods you can also use RotaryCraft to automatically harvest diamond seeds (with latest verstion of RotaryCraft: 23d this actually works now).
*Chuckles*. Two things can do anything it seems: bees and magical crops. I don't have the latter, but I'm sure I'll find some bee that makes diamonds among the gazillion species added by Extra Bees/Magic Bees. Also, I'm somewhat reluctant to go beyond the mod versions which are used in the FTB modpacks. With 146 mods installed in the variant of DW20 I'm running (added RoC on my own) this appears to be something for people who like extended debugging sessions.

@trajing:
I would like to have a good selection of resource packs and try something different once in a while, but there aren't any other packs I'm aware of with patches for so many mods, and I find a consistent look in 64res fairly important. Annoying enough that there isn't a patch for RotaryCraft.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Its just so cartoonish and un-minecraft-y. Soartex is good, use that. Or Faithful, that's good too. Sphax makes me want to vomit.
Or, even better, when taking screenies for showcases, use default, because that's the universal resource pack.

DudeToTheMax

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with trajing, showcases should be done with default. But to each his own, you take sphax, I'll take default. (Because my comp can't run anything else :p)

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
That seems cool and all, but tell that to my quarryplus
You can do almost anything with a brute force approach, but I like to get the most out of the resources I have. I have a boring machine setup that gets me enough, ironically, of almost anything but iron (!), diamonds and Certus Quartz, just because I need tons of those. Still, I like to get the most out of the resources I have, and what do I do with all that coal? Besides, designing new machine setups is fun.

QKninja

Jul 29, 2019
I'm much more interested in seeing how someone can get fully automated diamonds out of one compactor than watching a quarryplus or a boring machine just do its thing. Designing intricate systems is the fun part of modded minecraft!

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Its just so cartoonish and un-minecraft-y. Soartex is good, use that. Or Faithful, that's good too. Sphax makes me want to vomit.
Or, even better, when taking screenies for showcases, use default, because that's the universal resource pack.

Soartex makes MC look like The Sims. I dont know why that pack is so popular. Its textures are so boring.

Jul 29, 2019
Dammit you beat me too it XD I was messing around with this idea.
This is awesome though man :) although I will probably look into automating my coal production, I dislike the idea of using quarries or boring machines to get my materials, just not FTB enough XD.
Also the coal you get from a single quarry or boring machine will not last forever :)

-OrsonThinks

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
LOL, between testing this setup, letting my boring machine frame run for half an hour (!) and processing the output with an extractor, I now have 860 diamonds AND almost all the coal back I used up. The boring machine is nice, but it's processing which makes RoC resource generation so powerful. Since those Extractors need more power than any other ore processing setup I know, I guess it's somewhat justified.

As for the resource pack debate: I'll consider switching if someone shows me a resource pack covering almost as many mods as Sphax does, that also increases text resolution like Sphax does, and that doesn't make my quarried stone floors and arcane stone elevator shafts look like featureless grey surfaces. Also I just hate the way cobblestone and water looks in Soartex. I don't know how anyone can like that but call Sphax "cartoony".

@OrsonThinks
I like fast mining like with the boring machine. What I don't like is using a brute force method to get around resource shortages without making the most of what you have first. Now that I have experience with a boring machine frame, I might try the same with an Arcane Bore. May be significantly slower, but also no requires no power except for what's necessary to distillate essence from cobblestone. Getting a number of enchanted pickaxes is no problem by now.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
LOL, between testing this setup, letting my boring machine frame run for half an hour (!) and processing the output with an extractor, I now have 860 diamonds AND almost all the coal back I used up. The boring machine is nice, but it's processing which makes RoC resource generation so powerful. Since those Extractors need more power than any other ore processing setup I know, I guess it's somewhat justified.

As for the resource pack debate: I'll consider switching if someone shows me a resource pack covering almost as many mods as Sphax does, that also increases text resolution like Sphax does, and that doesn't make my quarried stone floors and arcane stone elevator shafts look like featureless grey surfaces. Also I just hate the way cobblestone and water looks in Soartex. I don't know how anyone can like that but call Sphax "cartoony".

I have the 'problem' that I let my two boring machines run for a long while before I actually made sufficient extractors to process it all. So I have a huge backlog of ores that need to be processed. So I have currently disabled the boring machines because otherwise it can never catch up (and I have 5 extractors running fulltime already) :)

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
My extractors are still processing the ores I've been mining in half an hour yesterday... I think a high-efficiency boring machine is not supposed to run continuously.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
My extractors are still processing the ores I've been mining in half an hour yesterday... I think a high-efficiency boring machine is not supposed to run continuously.

For most people, probably not. I think I saw Reika say somewhere that he runs 36 of them nonstop though.