A few questions from someone who is learning to mod

SourC00lguy

Jul 29, 2019
I hope it's ok to ask this here. But does a capitalization matter when setting an unlocalized name. Like is iron diffrent than IrOn? Or longStick from LoNg_StIcK

Kyle98750

Sep 16, 2013
I hope it's ok to ask this here. But does a capitalization matter when setting an unlocalized name. Like is iron diffrent than IrOn? Or longStick from LoNg_StIcK

From what I've experienced thus far no, but I'm no professional. ;)

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
adding underscores will change things, so long_stick is different from longstick

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Just avoid making two items of which the name only differs in capitalization and you should be in good shape.

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
When making a 1.8 mod recently this was a problem for me, actually, so I'm not sure about 1.7.10 (although I don't remember having the problem in that one). The block was called fluxDuct, the assets folder was named accordingly, and while in the development environment everything was perfectly fine. But for some strange reason, after I built the mod and ran it in MultiMC, it couldn't find the assets anymore. I wasted an hour of my life trying to figure out what in the world was going on, until I made it all lowercase and suddenly it was fine.

Also, the capitalization will definitely make a difference when specifying the localization in your language file.

PhoenixSmith

Jul 29, 2019
When making a 1.8 mod recently this was a problem for me, actually, so I'm not sure about 1.7.10 (although I don't remember having the problem in that one). The block was called fluxDuct, the assets folder was named accordingly, and while in the development environment everything was perfectly fine. But for some strange reason, after I built the mod and ran it in MultiMC, it couldn't find the assets anymore. I wasted an hour of my life trying to figure out what in the world was going on, until I made it all lowercase and suddenly it was fine.

Also, the capitalization will definitely make a difference when specifying the localization in your language file.
If the unlocalized name has caps I found that the assets no longer load outside of the dev environment. Happened to me as well.