3x3 piston door using redpower?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
I've seen a few using vanilla, this one seems to be the best:

Does anybody know if it's possible to make the control system smaller using redpower?

Reactions: siebharrin

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
Definitely. Pulse formers and T flip-flops are both single-block logic gates in redpower. You can save a little bit of space by going vertical with redwire instead of spiraling up. You could even use wireless redstone to get the signal from one side to the other, and to be able to put your button wherever you want. There's probably even more you could do, but I'm a bit of a redstone noob.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Didn't even think about frames.

Definitely have to experiment and learn how to use those things.

Frames can make crazy, crazy, crazy doors.

I also just visited a server where they had one of those combo deployer/breaker/frame engine setups to pull the door back many blocks with just 2 frame motors into a wall mount that leaves no external frames or wiring. I nearly passed out. I must have one for my upcoming blutricity generation station.

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
I feel happy with my house, 2x2 frame door, the door splits in half and goes into the walls.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
My only issue with frame doors is the weird lighting bug that happens to them sometimes.

But other then that they are really nice. And if you dont mind a 2 or 3 block thick door can be completely un noticable. But if your ok with the grid frame look you can make them vary compact.

Chance

Jul 29, 2019
I also don't like frame doors, they are good for small doors but can be too slow for bigger door projects.

madaffacca

Jul 29, 2019
Frames doors/platform are really easy to make! Just two frame motors, two state cell, two not gate and two timers (or one cell, one gate and one timer if you never want it to stay open). Piston doors are just faster and easier to fully hide, but hey, frames are cool [cit.]

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
I have to say that I would quite like something like a "Thaumic Gateway", being basically a static portable hole. Place it under something, and it'll phase a 3x3 area on a redstone signal.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I think piston doors are 'nice' if you make them 2 wide and 3 high, but although the 3x3 shown is functional I dislike the way the middle block appears and disappears. So although frame doors are a bit slower I think they're very pretty.

I'm currently planning to make a frame omnidirectional ship and for that I ofcourse need an aircraft hangar. With a LARGE door :)

Milaha

Jul 29, 2019
I have to say that I would quite like something like a "Thaumic Gateway", being basically a static portable hole. Place it under something, and it'll phase a 3x3 area on a redstone signal.

I wonder if you could place a portable hole into a deployer to accomplish this... Otherwise you certainly can accomplish a similar effect by using force fields. You need to use a tube to punch the hole, and some form of cube/circle to form the wall though. For whatever reason they decided to make the field fusion mod incompatible with deflectors and walls. Throw cammo onto it to make it look like not a force field, voila.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder if you could place a portable hole into a deployer to accomplish this... Otherwise you certainly can accomplish a similar effect by using force fields. You need to use a tube to punch the hole, and some form of cube/circle to form the wall though. For whatever reason they decided to make the field fusion mod incompatible with deflectors and walls. Throw cammo onto it to make it look like not a force field, voila.
Yeah, but then you don't get the cool sound effect and border to the gateway! Also, requires constant energy. Might be interesting to make a "forgotten workshop" full of arcane goodies and cobwebs, with a hidden portal ...

eculc

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, but then you don't get the cool sound effect and border to the gateway! Also, requires constant energy. Might be interesting to make a "forgotten workshop" full of arcane goodies and cobwebs, with a hidden portal ...
New TC3 Dungeon Idea: Small room with arcane stuffs inside, surrounded by warded stone but can be opened up with the proposed static portable hole, which is positioned at the end of a tunnel.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
New TC3 Dungeon Idea: Small room with arcane stuffs inside, surrounded by warded stone but can be opened up with the proposed static portable hole, which is positioned at the end of a tunnel.
The only issue with this would be compatability. If the world gen spawns warded stone, then it's essentially above-level bedrock. That's mess with quarries, tunnel bores and a whole host of other things.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
The only issue with this would be compatability. If the world gen spawns warded stone, then it's essentially above-level bedrock. That's mess with quarries, tunnel bores and a whole host of other things.

This already happens with normal dungeons. It goes something like this:

"Core the wall: I see... plant aspects at this depth? Very well. Portable... HOOOLLLLEEEEEEE!" Then you dash in, plant a torch, and clear the room. <3 portable holes.

I've found more dungeons since breaking into Tier 3 than my entire career in minecraft prior using these tools.

Edit: Holy smokes why didn't I ask this question before... does the wand of equal trade work on spawners?!

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
This already happens with normal dungeons. It goes something like this:

"Core the wall: I see... plant aspects at this depth? Very well. Portable... HOOOLLLLEEEEEEE!" Then you dash in, plant a torch, and clear the room. <3 portable holes.

I've found more dungeons since breaking into Tier 3 than my entire career in minecraft prior using these tools.

Edit: Holy smokes why didn't I ask this question before... does the wand of equal trade work on spawners?!
Firstly, I was thinking more that you'd have a dungeon-shaped shadow in your quarry because it can't mine it.

And, I think, no, the wand acts as a pickaxe, only quicker, and placing stuff down too (you don't get glass back after exchanging it).

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
Am I missing something here?

Why can't a quarry mine a dungeon?

I've hit a couple and it had no problem, even gave me what was in the chests.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Am I missing something here?

Why can't a quarry mine a dungeon?

I've hit a couple and it had no problem, even gave me what was in the chests.

Becuase he is suggesting TC3 dungeons made of warded stone. Those would be impossable to remove since no player put the blocks down so no player would have permsions to move them.