3 FPS While Playing DireWolf20 1.6.4 Modpack

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Craigien

Jul 29, 2019
The graphics card idles while playing any version of Minecraft. It does run when I start Minecraft but when I am in the main menu or in a world the graphics card idles. I does not matter if it is modded or not. I do not know of any other OpenGL games that I play. I usually only play modded Minecraft and World of Tanks on this PC. Never had any massive framerate issues with any games other than Minecraft. I am not too sure but 100 FPS in Vanilla Minecraft seems kind of low with my setup. Maybe that is why my modded Minecraft FPS is so low.

Greevir

Jul 29, 2019
have you tried downloading Afterburner and force your video card to run at a constant 100%?

Craigien

Jul 29, 2019
I've tried MSI Afterburner but I could never get my card to run at max. Whenever I applied the clock settings and selected apply overclocking at system startup, the graphics card would still idle.

InThayne

Oct 14, 2013
The fact that your Radeon only idles- gotta be there somewhere. I know you've checked 1mill times but make sure Catalyst is set to have your card churn out the juice when it runs the java process (not minecraft).

Craigien

Jul 29, 2019
I have a AMD Catalyst 3D Profile setup for Java.exe, Javaw.exe, The FTB Launcher, And MineCraft.

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
I've seen some suggestions around the place that you may have to make a batch file leading to the launcher, and set a profile for that batch.

Craigien

Jul 29, 2019
Creating a batch file to load the launcher and adding it to my catalyst 3d application settings made no difference. Something interesting that I picked up on is that when I am loaded into a world and hit the escape key to bring up the menu, my graphics card kicks into gear and runs very fast and as a result my FPS jumps up. I made note of the FPS jump in the pause menu before, but I did not know that it effected my graphics card.

Craigien

Jul 29, 2019
I think I may have solved the problem but I have no way to currently test it. I believe it is a hardware problem between my motherboard and my graphics card. My motherboard has PCIe 2.0 Support while my GPU requires PCIe 3.0. This may be causing bottlenecking which may explain the low framerate. It also might explain why my FPS in other games has not been amazing. I was not sure what the correct FPS for other games was supposed to be for my system so I ignored it until I realized how low my Minecraft FPS is. I am intested to see if any of you agree with the idea that it is my PCIe causing the issues.

Craigien

Jul 29, 2019
After taking a second look at this the PCIe may not be the problem.

Last edited:

sabedisc

Jul 29, 2019
Well this is an old thread, I have been having the same problem for a while, I have noticed that this only happens for me in 1.6.2 and 1.6.4 modpacks, I get 100fps in ftb ultimate and unleashed.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Well this is an old thread, I have been having the same problem for a while, I have noticed that this only happens for me in 1.6.2 and 1.6.4 modpacks, I get 100fps in ftb ultimate and unleashed.
image.jpg

Specs?
OS?

sabedisc

Jul 29, 2019
oh sorry, Its a laptop:
i7 720qm, ATI mobility radeon 4670
6GB ram, windows 7, java 64 bit
ive tried 2-4GB ram dedicated to minecraft also up to 512 perm-gen, fps goes from 30 to 1-2 in a couple minutes after I start playing, I'm using all low settings, have tried openGL on or off, same with vsinc. even small render distance wont help. cpu and gpu are being used and no option for integrated graphics. temps are around 70-75C which is normal for my laptop in games.

dariusc93

Jul 29, 2019
oh sorry, Its a laptop:
i7 720qm, ATI mobility radeon 4670
6GB ram, windows 7, java 64 bit
ive tried 2-4GB ram dedicated to minecraft also up to 512 perm-gen, fps goes from 30 to 1-2 in a couple minutes after I start playing, I'm using all low settings, have tried openGL on or off, same with vsinc. even small render distance wont help. cpu and gpu are being used and no option for integrated graphics. temps are around 70-75C which is normal for my laptop in games.

Check and make sure your GPU drivers are updated, with java 7 being the latest (you could try java 8 since i havent had issues with that specifically for running minecraft or mods). As for ram, you only need to give at least 2GB to minecraft (maybe more depending on how many mods are loaded and what assets it has in memory). For using the cpu graphics, I would not recommend trying because it would be slower than normal in some cases. You may want to configure your gpu settings, also make sure vsync isnt enabled in the gpu settings (or have it so that applications arent restricted by it).

I have a Quad-Core AMD A10-5750M APU with AMD Radeon HD 8650G and I get ~90FPS without optifine on max settings with Direwolf and Monster on both Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu 14.04 (abit more since the gpu isnt bogged down by stuff on windows), and by the looks of it, you have a dedicated card so you should have good performance (though your card could be old, and possibly dying out)

EDIT: I do have jvm arguments, but even with just my permgen being at 256M my FPS isnt affected to much. Are you playing on SSP or SMP?

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I dream of a world where I can get above 20 FPS and never have random FPS drops
You can have higher FPS but no random FPS drops... Naa that seems impossible. My average framerate is like 120 fps when things are calm but it can drop to like 20 due to mod bugs/ having a lot of crap going on at once.