3 FPS While Playing DireWolf20 1.6.4 Modpack

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Craigien

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, I am having some problems with my frame rate while playing the 1.6.4 modpacks. I like to play the DireWolf20 modpacks and the 1.6.4 modpack is what I like to play now; however, I have been getting very low frame rate. My FPS stays around 3 no matter where I am in the world or even if I create a new world. I would consider that I have very good computer specs that should be able to handle this game; however I do understand that mods do take a large toll on a system. I have seen other people with computer specs that are lower than mine getting a much higher frame rate and it is very confusing. I understand that Minecraft is a very CPU intensive game, but when I run the modpack my CPU usage hovers around 50 percent and does not increase and my graphics card idles instead of running at full blast. Anyway, I have done everything I can think of to solve this problem. I have updated Java, updated all of my drivers, tried optifine, and I even went into my BIOS settings and changed some CPU settings but nothing has made a difference. Any help will be appreciated and if there is any questions let me know. As a side note; my FPS has never been great with any modpack, but as the modpacks update, it keeps decreasing.

Here are my computer specs:

Hardware Specs:

AMD FX 4100 Quad Core Processor Overclocked to 4.20 GHz
XFX Radeon HD 7870 Graphics Card
8 GB of DDR3 RAM
ASUS M5A97 EVO Motherboard
Corsair Water Cooler
Corsair TX750 PSU

Software Specs:

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
Java 7 Update 45 64 bit
FTB Launcher Version 1.3.2 with 3 GB of RAM allocated
DireWolf20 1.6.4 Modpack version 1.0.7

Once again any help will be appreciated and thank you.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
1. Never. EVER. Use. Optifine
2. Try decreasing graphics in minecraft settings, turning off bobbing, render distamce down, graphics settings fast, etc.

Other than that I do not know what to do about it. Some people say running an actual multiplayer server for personal use if you have good specs is better, don't remember where the post was though.

CapturetheBomb

Jul 29, 2019
I assume you are forcing the GPU to be used already, right? Try setting up a server on your PC to share the load since Minecraft runs on a single core only. Worked for me.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Craigien

Jul 29, 2019
I am not using optifine and when I tried to decrease the graphical settings of Minecraft my FPS did not increase.

As for my GPU settings I have them set so that the GPU runs as well as it can; however the AMD Catalyst does not have an option to make the GPU run at full blast.

I will try to make a server and play with that to see if it makes a difference and I will post my results.

Greevir

Jul 29, 2019
You have got something going seriously wrong to have that kind of framerate on that setup. My system is about the same and run a steady 60fps on the 1.6.4 packs.

Windows 7 x64 SP1
Java 7 Update 45 64-bit
AMD FX 4130 Quad-Core Processor at 3.8GHz
2GB RAM (I had my other 2GB stick go out on me)
GTX650
ASUS M5A97 R2.0
700W PSU
Air Cooled

Java Arguments:
Code:
-Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -XX:PermSize=256m -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=256m -XX:NewRatio=4 -XX:SurvivorRatio=3 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=80 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=8 -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=0 -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=20 -XX:GCPauseIntervalMillis=250 -XX:MaxGCMinorPauseMillis=7 -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled -XX:+ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrentAndUnloadsClasses -XX:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=50 -XX:+BindGCTaskThreadsToCPUs -XX:+TieredCompilation -XX:Tier0ProfilingStartPercentage=0 -XX:Tier3InvocationThreshold=3 -XX:Tier3MinInvocationThreshold=2 -XX:Tier3CompileThreshold=2 -XX:Tier3BackEdgeThreshold=10 -XX:Tier4InvocationThreshold=4 -XX:Tier4MinInvocationThreshold=3 -XX:Tier4CompileThreshold=2 -XX:Tier4BackEdgeThreshold=8 -XX:TieredCompileTaskTimeout=5000 -XX:Tier3DelayOn=50 -XX:Tier3DelayOff=25 -XX:+UseFastEmptyMethods -XX:-DontCompileHugeMethods -XX:+AlwaysCompileLoopMethods -XX:+CICompilerCountPerCPU -XX:+UseStringCache -XX:+UseNUMA

Craigien

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, don't really know what is going on. My system runs other games just fine. I am going to see if running a server on my system works and hopefully it does. Just got to wait until the server.zip download is finished.

iNd3x

Jul 29, 2019
Minecraft runs on a single core, i'm the lucky owner(i think myself) of a quadcore amd processor too. (phenon II x965 oc'ed 3,8ghz) but since minecraft runs on one core, running a server would strike another core, and spread out the load on your entire cpu, which is what you want!
regarding temperatures "Speccy" which is a good program to monitor temperatures(if this is advertisement against the rules, tell me)
Make sure that an amd processor NEVER hits 55 degrees celsius. that's a golden rule

if you've checked the temperatures and play the barebone dw20 pack, i advice these java arguments:
Code:
-Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -XX:PermSize=256m
(add more ram if needed)

Craigien

Jul 29, 2019
Well unfortunately creating a server and running it on my machine and playing the game did not improve my frame rate. It stayed around 3 FPS and did not rise after I let it sit for some time. I am not too sure what else to try but I am sure that something is definitely wrong somewhere for me to be getting 3 FPS. If anyone has anymore suggestions they will be much appreciated and thanks.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Isnt there something about BoP+ATG and Mariculture causing some serious lag like this atm? As I understand it if you dump Mariculture(which seems to be the culprit) it should improve.

iNd3x

Jul 29, 2019
100 fps in vanilla?
sounds quite low imo, i hit 200-250, and i play between 60-90 in dw20, so 100 fps wouldn't leave much power in ftb