1.8 Vanilla Enchanting

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
kbwd2Mk.png

This is from jeb on the reddit. Detailed explanation of the above pic is here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/c...anting_screen_explanation_in_comments/ce3rq7m

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
There are several ways to make enchanting better. I don't think this is one of them.
Well, if you get enchantments you don't want, you could just put them on books until you get one you want. Not a massive improvement though (clearly the Mojang guys don't want enchanting to be too powerful).

I wonder if the gold cost is for all enchantments, or if it depends on the actual enchantment (i.e. you only need it for looting, other enchants need different items)? If its the former, pigman farms will be more important than ever.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
There are several ways to make enchanting better. I don't think this is one of them.
agreed.

Its interesting that they're tinkering with it. I'm glad you introduced me to liquid xp. vanilla enchanting remains extremely frustrating

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
This would definitely be an improvement. A better approach might be a way to manage unwanted enchantments by converting them into another resource. The thing is, Vanilla Enchanting is actually crazy powerful when it hits the right note. It's a matter of how often Blast Resistance and Bane of Arachinids come up and take up valuable space on your hard-earned doogads.

Redweevil

Jul 29, 2019
This seems a really good move. Ok there will still be better ways with mods but there always will be. Given that vanilla can't really suddenly add any sort of energy system to the game or any Thaumcraft like system then using resources to produce enchantments is a logical move. What I want to know is if they've got some kind of system to stop you just breaking the enchantment table/any surrounding books to hard reset the enchantment

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Well they aren't going to ship any snapshots until the new year so a LOT can change. This is just a glimpse of what they're working on

Reactions: Obliviate

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
While I love the fact that they are at least looking to IMPROVE enchanting, the whole 'gold ingot cost' part is what really concerns me. In modded Minecraft, Gold is already used as a recipe component for more expensive parts / machines specifically to 'gate' players access to those things. Making enchanting require gold is just going to make it even more scarce, right?

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
While I love the fact that they are at least looking to IMPROVE enchanting, the whole 'gold ingot cost' part is what really concerns me. In modded Minecraft, Gold is already used as a recipe component for more expensive parts / machines specifically to 'gate' players access to those things. Making enchanting require gold is just going to make it even more scarce, right?

Mojang doesn't seem to care about the modded minecraft scene. As they should. It's their job to make a good game, it's a modders job to mod the good game if they so choose.

Reactions: RedBoss

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
Mojang doesn't seem to care about the modded minecraft scene. As they should. It's their job to make a good game, it's a modders job to mod the good game if they so choose.
Oh I do agree, they should really focus on the balance of Minecraft itself, not 'including' modded Minecraft.

I'm just wondering.. how will this impact recipes and machine costs for mods? Hypothetically speaking that is..

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
Oh I do agree, they should really focus on the balance of Minecraft itself, not 'including' modded Minecraft.

I'm just wondering.. how will this impact recipes and machine costs for mods? Hypothetically speaking that is..

It probably won't change much. The need for gold will be slightly higher so in the FTB packs the appearance of it will have to be slightly higher. Unfortunately people downloading the mods themselves will have to do so themselves, but that's how it's always been.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
It won't. Vanilla enchanting is terrible and since Thaumic Tinker, Liquid XP and OpenBlocks exist there's practically no reason to use it.

Reactions: PierceSG

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
It won't. Vanilla enchanting is terrible and since Thaumic Tinker, Liquid XP and OpenBlocks exist there's practically no reason to use it.
Well that's the trick tho, right? Liquid XP, OpenBlocks, and even Enchanting Plus all use VANILLA enchanting at their core. Thaumic Tinker is really the only one that is different. What does this mean for those mods? Will they just implement their own versions of the "old" vanilla enchanting system in favor of the new one?

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I've never cared for the RANDOM method of enchanting in vanilla. So this does look like an improvement. But, I think I'll stick to thaumic tinkerer. That way I can stack the enchantments I want instead of relying on the RNG gods.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
I've never cared for the RANDOM method of enchanting in vanilla. So this does look like an improvement. But, I think I'll stick to thaumic tinkerer. That way I can stack the enchantments I want instead of relying on the RNG gods.

This improved method is still 'mostly' random from what it looks like. You only get to see one of the enchantments for each of the three entries, not all of the details. That means you still have ample opportunity for Bane of Arthropods or Blast Resistance to sneak in.

Enchanting Plus?
Enchanting Plus basically puts a relatively expensive 'upgrade' in that you use on a vanilla enchanting table. The upgraded table allows for the actual selection of enchantments actively, along with what level you what them enchanted at. Basically in exchange for this, you pay a little bit more of an experience rate per enchantment / increment. Being able to actively PICK your own enchantments and their levels is far more my speed than random chance. That is totally me, however.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Well that's the trick tho, right? Liquid XP, OpenBlocks, and even Enchanting Plus all use VANILLA enchanting at their core. Thaumic Tinker is really the only one that is different. What does this mean for those mods? Will they just implement their own versions of the "old" vanilla enchanting system in favor of the new one?
They might all use vanilla enchanting at their core, but I seriously doubt they'll add gold to every single enchant. That would flat-out break autoenchanters.

Always have Thaumic Tinker to fall back on, I guess.

Necr0maNceR

Jul 29, 2019
So it would seem the changes are:
-1: The experience cost for enchantments is dramatically reduced. The most expensive ones only cost 3 levels now. This is a major plus.
-2: You get to see what one of the enchantments is. Also a major plus. Now it isn't 100% random.
-3: Now it costs gold. This is dumb. Gold is ALREADY heavily used in consumable items for horse breeding and potion making. Or if you actually want to use golden apples for personal consumption. Whenever you use iron to make something that isn't a tool or armor, you usually get to keep it forever. Gold, which is much more rare, is used in a lot of consumable recipes. Like it's some sort of fuel or something. Making a rare material fuel just seems silly. I would honestly think emeralds would be a more suitable material, since they can be farmed and only have one other significant use, if it weren't for the fact that would prevent you from being able to reliably enchant anything unless you found a village.

I'd honestly be fine with it if they just added the ability to see one of the enchantments and left everything else about enchanting the same. Otherwise, they should find a better alternative.