[1.8] Mod Development Help Thread/Updating to 1.8 Thread

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
There are a lot of regular items/blocks that will be in that mod.
Doesn't matter if there are a lot of regular items/blocks in the mod. They will not be able to update because no one has that kind of space on their comps. And even if it did it would take forever to make all the JSON files
In my opinion 1.8 should not be a very hard update.
The only thing hard about it is the new rendering system

DarkIron987

Jul 29, 2019
Doesn't matter if there are a lot of regular items/blocks in the mod. They will not be able to update because no one has that kind of space on their comps. And even if it did it would take forever to make all the JSON files

The only thing hard about it is the new rendering system
.json files are not that big. Also, I do udnerstand what you are saying. All I can say is devs need mad Copy and Paste skills just like @Gideonseymour for those .json files.

DarkIron987

Jul 29, 2019
And that 10% of dynamic content may take up 90% of what amounts to be a large porting effort.
I was able to make a custom block in my mod in 3/4 of the time it did in the past. Also, editing item positions is super easy now. You can also render an item as a block which can be nice for more advance stuff.

jaquadro

Jul 29, 2019
I was able to make a custom block in my mod in 3/4 of the time it did in the paste. Also, editing item positions is super easy now. You can also render an item as a block which can be nice for more advance stuff.
I think you really don't understand the kind of rendering these mods are doing. How many total permutations does your custom block represent? Most of these tech mods or aesthetic mods have blocks with trillions or unbounded permutations.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
.json files are not that big.
It was calculated that MFR would take a TB or more of .json files. Doesn't matter how big they are if you need 1 million of them
I think you really don't understand the kind of rendering these mods are doing. How many total permutations does your custom block represent? Most of these tech mods or aesthetic mods have blocks with trillions or unbounded permutations.
^

DarkIron987

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, you do make sense. I was saying for more basic renders like my mod is doing. I made a statue block in no time, but it has only one function which summons a mob.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, you do make sense. I was saying for more basic renders like my mod is doing. I made a statue block in no time, but it has only one function which summons a mob.
So buildcraft will not be ported by January because there is not enough space, literally

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
I know. It's terrible. Let's hope they find a solution :)
I'm sure if lex doesnt make a workaround someone else will. For example have a look at how clocks/compasses work in the forge code (specifically net.minecraft.client.renderer.texture.TextureAtlasSprite). They have one model yet have different states by using a texture atlas. I wonder if we could implement something similar for blocks with different states.

DarkIron987

Jul 29, 2019
There is gotta be a way for regular blocks to be rendered with one .JSON and somehow change the texture for each one.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Someone on the forge IRC channel mentioned that a new patch for Forge 1.8 will contain the notion of 'custom baked models'. According to the people there I will be able to make my shield block work again (the shield block in my mod can mimic any other block in Minecraft so it needs to be able to use the texture from another block). So at least that part will be covered and maybe that custom baked model will allow for more things to do here.

Anyway, it is not in forge yet. It is a patch thas has been submitted I believe.

Reactions: VikeStep