1.7 Magical crops has lost its' edge :(

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
So, fess up. Which of you "hard mode" spoilsports pointed out to the author how hilariously OP it was in 1.6.4?

So many of my pet growth accelerators from other mods no longer work with it and I even had to install an addon just to get it to work with MFR farming machines again. Fertilised dirt wont even let me plant the seeds and Lilypads of hilarity don't do jack to the growth rate any more.

*grumbles about meanies spoiling my fun*

I'm going to sulk in my corner again...

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
So, fess up. Which of you "hard mode" spoilsports pointed out to the author how hilariously OP it was in 1.6.4?

So many of my pet growth accelerators from other mods no longer work with it and I even had to install an addon just to get it to work with MFR farming machines again. Fertilised dirt wont even let me plant the seeds and Lilypads of hilarity don't do jack to the growth rate any more.

*grumbles about meanies spoiling my fun*

I'm going to sulk in my corner again...
Lamps of Growth and watering cans still seem to have a positive effect in the Natural Magic modpack. It seems like lillypads do as well. Maybe it's a config setting?

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I've struggled getting versions of reliquary to work when adding them to packs in 1.7, mostly they just crash the client. The versions I have got to work, lilypads have no observable effect on any crop growth

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I've struggled getting versions of reliquary to work when adding them to packs in 1.7, mostly they just crash the client. The versions I have got to work, lilypads have no observable effect on any crop growth
That's interesting. It's anecodote, of course, but we've got magical crops working in our Natural Magic server with Reliquery. Several folks have setup lilypads and the growth rate SEEMS to be higher (several plants are fully grown in the time it takes to replant a field).

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, magical crops was great the first time I played with it (Monster for 1.6.4). We were forced to abandon that particular world, for reasons, and restart. That second play through, I jumped into crops immediately. Even with the configs dialed back, I was swimming in ores faster than I could use them. I ended up supplying a server of 6 with any and all resource requests. It was great from an artistic standpoint (it was eerily similar to creative mode in some respects), but it killed the spirit of the game for me - the only thing I could do was to overkill it from there and see just how gross I could make it.

I've not played with it in 1.7, and I'm actually glad it isn't there. It was fun to take a break from the resource management game for a while, but without that, Minecraft just feels hollow. If I were to play with it again, it would have to be Nerf'd considerably. I love the concept, but its too good to be fun long term.

One man's opinion. Your experience may vary.

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I really like having Magical Crops to replace mob farms. I never really used it for other resources, except to have the essence to make the various decorative blocks. I found that it was a lot easier on performance to grow plants as opposed to having to deal with a bunch of mobs pathing around.

portablejim

Jul 29, 2019
In a custom modpack that includes Magical Crops, Xeno's reliquary, ProjectE and EnderIO I can get a red matter in about 10 seconds from a 9x9 farm of wither skeleton skull crops, 9x9 lilypads of fertility under the farm, ender IO farmer + conduits as well as a condenser.

Nope, not underpowered here.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Agricraft both supports Magical Crops and Minefactory Reloaded, this way you can both of those mods working again.
plus you can breed your Agricraft crops to get better stats so the gain, speed and resistance increases on your crops.

Reactions: PierceSG

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I really like having Magical Crops to replace mob farms. I never really used it for other resources, except to have the essence to make the various decorative blocks. I found that it was a lot easier on performance to grow plants as opposed to having to deal with a bunch of mobs pathing around.

I agree this was a better solution to mob farming at first. But I found that I enjoy the engineering challenges of the game more than just collecting some plants. Also, things like ghast tears, wither skulls, and even blaze rods are supposed to be hard to acquire (at least a challenge), and are used to gate progress in vanilla alone, not to mention a ton of mods. Once I had 4 of each, and a bit of nether quartz and glowstone, I basically never had to go back to the nether again. I feel like the crops turned me into a hermit - never leaving the confines of my base due to lack of need. Then, once I realized I could grow uranium (yellorite is oredict), it was a serious overkill in power generation with Big Reactors. This left another engineering challenge lifeless in the world. The only thing left was art/architecture, which as I said above, was eerily similar to creative mode at that point. Not to mention growing xp from any and all mob seeds makes level requirements a complete joke (more so than normal, but that's a different rant).

I can't help but feel the one mod trivializes too many different aspects of the game for my taste. Maybe if it produced nuggets instead of ores, I could find balance in it (similar to TiCo oreberry bushes).

Maybe if I were just playing Vanilla plus Magic Crops I would feel differently. But honestly, the mod offers a ton of convenience with very little investment and very little actual game content. I'm not meaning to bash the mod - I had fun with it and actually love the concept. I just feel it needs to take a bit more effort for the epic (and risk-free) rewards that it offers. It doesn't have to be full-on bees, but something closer to that would feel better. If the mod no longer allowed accelerators to work with it, its sad from a Timmy Powergamer perspective but better for the sake of balance.

Again, one man's opinion.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I actually found completely the opposite in 1.6. Yes, my magical crops farm would become the focal point of my entire base due to it being my primary means of production, but reaching that stage involved me delving into a bunch of different mods to set up self-sufficient power generation modes for the accelerators.

I would end up engineering entirely self-contained systems producing herba for lamps of growth, torque-based water pressure for a RoC sprinkler and automated villager torture chambers making LP for [the blood magic ritual I forget the name of].

Admittedly my production of resources through magical crops would get silly in the endgame, but the process of maxing out my gains was never uninvolved or dull :)

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
As I said, I had fun with power gaming my crops once too, but I feel on the whole it is out of balance (even before accelerators). I too delved into many mods in the Monster pack to see just how fast I could grow (I had a full DSU of iron, and another nearly full of ore by the time we moved on). But even if all you made were a few lily pads and one of each seed, you were still set for life. A little automation (RoCraft fans were good for this) and now you have all your goods while you do literally anything else. It completely trivializes all material costs that would normally gate progress in other mods, which allows you to reach end game content far too quickly IMO.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Ive always used lamps of growth for my crops anyway so I didnt notice the change. I think Magical Crops is way too generous with its recipes but those can be altered in the config. Its become my go-to method for automated resource gathering, alongside MFR laser drills. As fun as quarrying huge holes in the world was the first few times, I just dont see the point in doing it again when the end result is the same. Now I only use quarries for the holes they leave behind, not the resources which routes right into a trashcan, lol.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I have a somewhat different perspective on this - I've only used magical crops in a modpack designed around limited automation - so no MFR, no Buildcraft (for quarries), no Thaumcraft (so no lamps of growth), things like that. Because of that, the extra work needed to get further in Magical Crops meant it felt like you'd earned the benefits when you finally got to the high level crops. In that environment, it didn't feel so OP - especially as you didn't have quarries to automatically carve up the land for you! :)

- GwnG

S

SergioAlphaWolf

In a custom modpack that includes Magical Crops, Xeno's reliquary, ProjectE and EnderIO I can get a red matter in about 10 seconds from a 9x9 farm of wither skeleton skull crops, 9x9 lilypads of fertility under the farm, ender IO farmer + conduits as well as a condenser.

Nope, not underpowered here.

Portablejim would you please tell me which modpack it is that your playing?

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
400px-Skyrim-Spell_Tome_Raise_Zombie.jpg

There are faster ways to level conjuration mate.