[1.7.10][WIP][CTM] The Distant Planet

pikminman13

Jul 29, 2019
I personally enjoy CTM maps. I also like modded minecraft. But I haven't seen much of the two combined. Sure, there are some ctm-ish packs out there like ME^3 and its successors, but nothing of the standard CTM experience that comes from other maps.

Anyway, here is some flavor text for you-

You have been traveling through space for quite some time in your beloved ship, the S.S. Zero. However, trouble inevitably arises. While passing through the gravitational pull of a foreign land, your ship is struck by a meteor passing by. You crash on the planet, your ship's parts scattered about this strange world. It is up to you to find the 30 parts of your ship, while surviving simultaneously. Somehow they all wound up underground...

This map was clearly inspired by other games. Some of which are Pikmin, Mega Man, Earthbound, and others. However, this will honestly not be done for some time, at least a few months. Part of this is due to how MCEdit and forge do not like each other. I have ways to combat this with items from the mods I have, but I lack some important things such as brush tools to make better caves.

Why did I post this, anyway? If it is not going to be done for a while, it would make little sense to post this, right? Well, I have 2 main reasons for posting this.
  1. This will motivate me more to finish the map. I will be more likely to work on it if other people are expecting something.
  2. More importantly, I would like feedback. From what I can provide here, I can show what I have done and get some more ideas. While I know what I want, and I can drag a few friends into it, some other eyes would be nice too.
The structure of the map will be based around in-game days. You stay on the ship every morning, and return to it every night. The night will be horrible, so make sure to get back. When exploring underground, time will be "paused" above ground. Each cave has a ship part in it, as well as loot chests and "Data Rooms," which contain a special weapon or utility. The more ship parts you have, the more areas you can access and explore. Caves are floor-based, ranging in the amount of sublevels based on the difficulty. Some things will be provided for on the ship, and you can also recover data drives to get some lost functions of your ship back.

Here are some pictures of what I have so far-
The forest you crash in
2016-01-24_17.20.29.png

A Taiga world
2016-01-24_17.20.38.png

An Ocean-like area
2016-01-24_17.21.04.png
The first cave
2016-01-24_17.22.13.png
Data rooms
2016-01-24_17.22.43.png
Again, I would like support, so if anyone has an idea, feel free to share it!
Discord for the pack: https://discord.gg/010sr75MkPn1DSPjX

Last edited:
O

Olemonade

I think you have a great idea. Haven't really seen one like it which is good, because unique maps are much more interesting. The only problem I have with it is that the map... well is very plain. I mean honestly, it lacks details and stuff. I don't know if you are only doing the base for now and will then add details in later, but that's the one thing it's lacking to look nice. The storyline sounds nice so you don't need to work on that. :) I'm sure to play it when it does come out though!

pikminman13

Jul 29, 2019
I think you have a great idea. Haven't really seen one like it which is good, because unique maps are much more interesting. The only problem I have with it is that the map... well is very plain. I mean honestly, it lacks details and stuff. I don't know if you are only doing the base for now and will then add details in later, but that's the one thing it's lacking to look nice. The storyline sounds nice so you don't need to work on that. :) I'm sure to play it when it does come out though!
Yea, terrain and interesting things will come in later. I might even request external help on that ground. The bottleneck is the lack of MCEdit, so the best I have to work with are super builder wands and terra shatterers. I would love a brush tool of sorts, but at least what I have is more than single block placing. Thanks for the support though, I really appreciate it. I will post updates periodically, once significant things have happened (might even see one later in the week).

pikminman13

Jul 29, 2019
More pictures, development is needed still but there is progress.
Some caves:
2016-02-14_22.21.25.png
2016-02-19_00.06.48.png

And some more overworld shots:
2016-02-18_23.55.47.png

2016-02-18_23.57.35.png

2016-02-18_23.57.18.png

pikminman13

Jul 29, 2019
I figure an update is long overdue for this, so here one is.

First and foremost, I have changed plans for the structure of the map. This will be to give me more freedom in dungeon design and allow me to make more logical (using that term loosely) decisions when making dungeons. What I mean is some dungeons will be the aforementioned level-style dungeons, with exploration segments (ctm standard) and action segments (platforming with the quantumsuit leggings and boots).

Work has not stopped, and I have been working on the final area because I wanted to get that one going. In addition, I want to learn more about command blocks, in an attempt to make special bossfights. Each area will have a boss, and you will be warned which ones have bosses before going all the way to the end.

I am deciding against pictures for now, as because I have been working on the latter portion of the map, it is rather spoilery.

pikminman13

Jul 29, 2019
So, I now have a discord open for the map development. Pictures, questions, updates, and a lot of things will go through here.
PM me on discord if you are interested in helping me make the map, be ready to answer a few questions that have little to do if I will allow you to help or not. I am going to see if I can make this happen.

Last edited:
Y

yeeshue99

So, I now have a discord open for the map development. Pictures, questions, updates, and a lot of things will go through here.
https://discord.gg/010sr75MkPmzC1Y0g
PM me on discord if you are interested in helping me make the map, be ready to answer a few questions that have little to do if I will allow you to help or not. I am going to see if I can make this happen.
The Discord link doesn't seem to work. Maybe include your Discord username and tag, or Discord email so there is a more sustained way to get others in the Discord. I've been keeping an eye on this project since you first posted it, and I'm looking forward to it, and maybe even helping!

Reactions: pikminman13

pikminman13

Jul 29, 2019
OK, i will look into it and see what i can do. I absolutely do not want to give up on this project, and am going to try whatever I can to make it happen.

pikminman13

Jul 29, 2019
The Discord link doesn't seem to work. Maybe include your Discord username and tag, or Discord email so there is a more sustained way to get others in the Discord. I've been keeping an eye on this project since you first posted it, and I'm looking forward to it, and maybe even helping!
I made sure this one will not expire, try it in the first post.

Y

yeeshue99

I made sure this one will not expire, try it in the first post.
Just tried it again, copy, paste and nothing. Possible quick fix, post your discord user and numerical ID so that others can add you as a friend and then join via that route? The way Discord works, it needs a user, the # symbol, and a number following. Mine is yeeshue99#1850. you can find this in the bottom left hand corner of the home screen. You'll find your user, and a # followed by 4 numbers below your name. I sure hope you don't give up on this project. It sounds extremely interesting.