Mod Feedback [1.7.10] Thermal Recycling Info/Support

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
Thermal Recycling v1.0.4.2 Release is available!

Accumulated Release Summary

• ADDED: Shift right click with crescent hammer or battle wrench to break machines. Content will drop.
  • ADDED: Seeds registered with "listAllseed" will be tagged as BROWN compost (AgriCraft).
  • ADDED: Vacuum and Recycle enchantments
  • ADDED: Dump Pile of Rubble loot table to ThermalRecycling.log during startup. Helps modpack authors figure out what is in the list and make adjustments.
  • CHANGED: Don't allow Pile of Rubble to generate on top of another pile (looking at you BoP).
  • CHANGED: Power consumption and operation duration of the Thermal Recycler is now configurable.
  • CHANGED: Thermal Recycler will not start operation until there is enough energy stored in internal storage to complete the entire operation. This eliminates the chatty nature of TileEntity updates when running in low power conditions.
  • CHANGED: Clarified config file documentation related to Waila options. Some of the comments could have been easily misconstrued.
  • CHANGED: Modified internal random number generation to use ThreadLocalRandom variant.
  • UPDATE: Built against Forge 1614. It's the most bleeding edge version at this moment. The mod should be compatible with 1448 and after.
  • UPDATE: Updated Forestry and BuildCraft API dependencies.
  • UPDATE: ru_RU and pt_BR language updates.
  • FIXED: No longer able to rotate/dye a vending machine that is not owned by the player.
  • FIXED: [OpenEye] Unable to find method getLoadedEntityList() when item stack merging is enabled

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
I started thinking about Thermal Recycling and what I want to do with a 1.8.9 version. Moving to 1.8.9 presents an opportunity to rework aspects of the mod, drop what folks don't like, etc. I was wondering about your thoughts on the mod - what you like, dislike, would like to see changed, etc. Feel free to state your opinion - I have a thick skin as long as criticism is constructive. :)

Here are some of the main thoughts I been having. These are just thoughts, not plans. :)

* Decouple from Thermal Expansion. Nothing against Thermal Expansion. In fact it is one of my favorites. My goal is to make the mod more accessible to those that don't have or want TE in their packs.

* Simplify the Decomp Core tree. Right now there are a variety of cores which give increasing levels of success when breaking an item apart. My thinking was to have 2 decomp cores - one that gives mid level success at breaking items apart, and the top tier that gives 100% chance. The recycler will always be able to run without a core as a 100% scrapping mode.

* Adding additional recycling capability for fluids. I am not sure exactly what form this will take, but my thought was some sort of distillation tower system. A base block would serve as the main processing core for piping in fluids and RF. Separators/precipitators can be stacked on top to pull out the distinct ingredients and have them piped out. In some ways this is similar to what Thaum does with some of it's machines. All I can say to that is that distillation systems similar to this exist in real life. :) I should also mention that I would there would be some sort of fluid system around this where a player can benefit. Adding the blocks and machines to produce fluids that aren't useful doesn't make too much sense.

* Liquid potion system. Potions can be created and stored in fluid form inside of tanks. They could then be dispensed into bottles for use. Also, liquid can be extracted from potions and run through the distillation process to break them back down into component parts. Not sure how useful this would be because it seems players really don't use potions that much. Maybe if potion making were automated it could be useful. I should also point out that this feature could be the basis of another mod. In fact I seem to recall there was one - just don't recall.

Reactions: Lethosos

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Amazing! Just yesterday I was thinking to myself about liquid XP, and then thought that no one has yet turned potions into true liquids. You been reading my mind? :p

I would also love to see a distillation tower system. I was after something like that ages ago but nothing exists (I wanted a way to "purify" the poison from BoP to normal water, in a world with no water). Has input(s) of liquids (and solids), and output(s) of liquids (and solids). Make it fully minetweakable and you'll have a new powerful system.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Is it possible to generate a file of the registered drops from rubble piles? I'm minetweaking them, but having to guess at weights and test in game. If I could see what's already there, it would help no end.
Likewise for all the different tiers of scrapboxes.

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
Enable recipe logging in the configuration. During startup a file should be created in the Minecraft directory that lists out the contents of all the tables.

Reactions: Golrith

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
I've been thinking about what I want to do with this mod for the more current versions of Minecraft. What I find interesting though is that I do not know what people like/dislike about the mod. So I figured I would ask that question and the answers will help guide. So please chime in with whatever you think should be kept, gotten rid of, or adjusted. The other thing I was wondering about is whether I should break the mod apart into separate parts. For example the Vending Machine could potentially be a standalone mod.

Anyways, chime in with your thoughts. :)

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
This is 1.7.10 feedback:
I use the mod in my modpack Shattered, and everyone loves the Rubble. It really fits the theme I've gone for, and I personally love the MT integration. Any chance rubble can be prevented from spawning on top of leaf blocks?
I haven't done much more with the mod yet as I don't have the resources to think about setting up a dedicated recycling system (my pack is hungry for resources and has a tiered progressing path).
I can't remember, but there doesn't seem to be a config option to disable worm drops (or I've missed it). I'm using a different "enriched" soil system, making that soil in TR obsolete, but the worms still drop.
I also haven't looked at the composting system.

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
There isn't a way to disable worm drops. Best you can do is make the chance pretty large so they drop like 1 in million type of thing. Also, you are aware that you can feed worms to chickens? It makes babies into adults, and if used on an adult it advances the internal egg laying timer.

Yes, it is possible to block Rubble spawning on top of leaf blocks. I will add that to my list of things to weak.

The main idea bubbling around in my head at the moment is splitting the mod apart into several different mods. Specifically:
  • The Vending Machine block. Seems to me this thing can be usable independent of technology.
  • Rubble. Again as you point out it is a popular feature. If placed into it's own mod it could be added to light weight mod packs to get the benefit. It would still retain the ability to be scripted externally (if possible - I haven't look at MT support for 1.10.x/1.11.x).
  • The enchantments (Vacuum and Recycle). A mod specifically for new enchantments.
  • Thermal Recycler. I was thinking of a magic mod that has a form of recycling. My thought was to pull out the guts of recycling, and provide a framework where I can "skin" it with a technology aspect (like Thermal Recycling) or with the magic aspect.

Reactions: Lethosos

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
There isn't a way to disable worm drops. Best you can do is make the chance pretty large so they drop like 1 in million type of thing. Also, you are aware that you can feed worms to chickens? It makes babies into adults, and if used on an adult it advances the internal egg laying timer.

Yes, it is possible to block Rubble spawning on top of leaf blocks. I will add that to my list of things to weak.

The main idea bubbling around in my head at the moment is splitting the mod apart into several different mods. Specifically:
  • The Vending Machine block. Seems to me this thing can be usable independent of technology.
  • Rubble. Again as you point out it is a popular feature. If placed into it's own mod it could be added to light weight mod packs to get the benefit. It would still retain the ability to be scripted externally (if possible - I haven't look at MT support for 1.10.x/1.11.x).
  • The enchantments (Vacuum and Recycle). A mod specifically for new enchantments.
  • Thermal Recycler. I was thinking of a magic mod that has a form of recycling. My thought was to pull out the guts of recycling, and provide a framework where I can "skin" it with a technology aspect (like Thermal Recycling) or with the magic aspect.
There is no MT for 1.10+, but there is a port called CraftTweaker with all the same functionality.
Your ideas for splitting are good, given that MC now requires even more memory, it looks like modders need to look at making things as lightweight as possible (that's another nail in the coffin for the future of modded MC, but that's another discussion (I've looked at the mods floating around 1.10 atm and tbh, apart from a few exceptions, it's a pretty bland scene)) so players and pack makers can just get the specific features they require (which, tbh, is a good thing, when making a specific themed pack, you often just want a specific feature, and have to deal with the extra "bloat" that some mods add).

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
The other thing I been wondering is if the recipes are too expensive. I ask because if I decouple from Thermal Expansion I would have to work our alternate recipes. Along the same lines are the cores - is the complexity of the cores interesting enough to keep, or should I look at simplifying.