[1.7.10][Hardcore][Survival] There Will Be Blood

Undead Zeratul

Jul 29, 2019
Looking for a challenge? One that involves actually struggling to survive rather than just gathering resources to build the next thing in the long line of recipe chains to get you the next machine to do things? Well then look no further than my first foray into modpack development, There Will Be Blood!

For those who've been frequenting the FTB subreddit, you may have seen me post a few times. Yes, the time has finally arrived where I can say I've succeeded in getting onto the FTB launcher! If you're unaware, or you're just interested in these old posts, feel free to have a look:

What is "There Will Be Blood"
This modpack focuses on the world around you and its inhabitants; namely how much they loathe your existance and want you gone. Everything in this pack is geared towards giving you a bad time. You will fight to survive against not only difficult mobs with increased intelligence, but also against the enviroment itself. You'll need to stay hydrated, regulate your body's internal temperature as well as fatigue, and watch out for the occasional pockets of various gases found under the earth. The deeper you mine, the harder time you'll have breathing, and will need to find cleaner air in order to not suffocate. Even staving off hunger might be an issue; as you'll need to eat a varied and balanced diet in order to stay healthy. You might be thinking, "this sounds insane!" and in a way, you'd be right; as certain mobs, especially those found in The Nether, will cause you to lose a bit of your sanity.

If you think you're up for the challenge, give this pack a try; but be warned, there will be blood.

Almost everything in this pack has been tweaked, from recipes, to environmental properties, to ore processing. Recipes won't necessarily be more tedious, but they'll definitely be harder to make. All those big, bulky, heavy suits of armor may protect you against damage, but they'll slow you down, prevent you from carrying a camelpack at the same time, and worst of all, exaggarate the heat of the sun, causing you to potentially overheat.

Ores and other resources have had their mining levels re-balanced in order to give a lengthier progression, but nothing completely tedious. Thanks to Iguana's Tinker Tweaks, every pickaxe should now display the tool they're equivalent to in their tooltip.

In addition to the mining level adjustments made in TWBB, there has also been a significant Ore Processing change. All metals follow a more realistic melting point paradigm. Thanks to Tinkers' Construct, each and every ore now requires at least the Smeltery, if not the Tinkers' Steelworks High Oven, to be processed.

Modpack Code
TWBB

Modpack Version
v1.1.2

Requirements
TWBB Requires Java 8, and runs will with at least 2GBs of memory allocated.

Changelog Information
A full rundown of the pack versions can be found on my Github Releases Page.

Source Code and Bug Reporting
This pack is currently open source, in essence. I host all my configurations and recipe tweaks on github, and you're more than welcome to post bugs there. That way I can filter them, label them, and even close them once I've fixed the issue.

Thanks for reading and taking an interest in my first modpack! Try it out for yourself, and let me know if anything is incorrect, and most importantly, good luck and have fun!

Modlist
Taken from here:

• AppleCore v1.3.2 by squeek
  • Aroma1997Core v1.0.2.16 by Aroma1997, Schillaa
  • asielib v0.4.5 by asiekierka, Vexatos
  • bspkrsCore v6.16 by DaftPVF, bspkrs
  • CodeChicken Core v1.0.7.47 by ChickenBones
  • CoFH Core v1.7.10R3.1.2 by Team CoFH
  • Cookie Core v1.4.0 by Ephys
  • CreativeCore v1.3.14
  • Custom Ore Generation v1.2.24 by JRoush, noogenesis
  • EnderCore v1.7.10-0.2.0.36_beta by tterrag, CrazyPants
  • EXCore v1.5.3 by Elix_x
  • Farseek v1.0.11 by delvr
  • Forge Microblocks v1.2.0.345
  • Forge Multipart v1.2.0.345
  • HardLib v13.21.0a by Draco18s
  • INpureCore v1.7.10R1.0.0B9
  • LunatriusCore v1.1.2.21 by Lunatrius
  • Mantle v1.7.10-0.3.2.jenkins191
  • Metallurgy Core v4.0.4 by Team Metallurgy
  • Nincraft Lib v1.7.10-0.1.1+24 by Nincodedo
  • SomniaCore v1.3.1.55 by Kingrunes
  • TNTUtils Core v1.2 by ljfa
  • AgriCraft v1.7.10-1.5.0 by InfinityRaider
  • Air Overhaul v1.7.10_1.0 by Mark719
  • Another One Bites The Dust v2.9.2 by ganymedes01
  • Another One Bites The Dust: Berry Bushes v1.0.6 by ganymedes01
  • Antique Atlas v1.7.10-4.2.10
  • AromaBackup v0.1.0.0
  • AromaBackup Recovery v1.0
  • Better Title Screen v1.7.10-1.1 by Girafi, Amadornes
  • BetterBeginnings v0.9.5-R7a by einsteinsci, iLiminate, AnonTheMouse, Leviathan143
  • BetterStorage v0.13.1.127 by copygirl, Vic Nightfall
  • Biomes O' Plenty v2.1.0 by Adubbz, Amnet, Forstride, ted80
  • Block Properties v0.1.4 by FatherToast
  • Blood Magic: Alchemical Wizardry v1.3.3 by WayofTime
  • Chameleon Creepers v1.7.10-1.4.1 by Vel0cityX
  • Climate Control v0.6-beta57 by Zeno410
  • Cooking for Blockheads v1.0.140 by BlayTheNinth, ZeroTheShinigami
  • Creeper Awareness v2.0.1 by Elix_x
  • Dark Menagerie v1.0 ny RWTema
  • Deadly World v1.0.2 by FatherToast
  • Dense Ores v1.0 by RWTema
  • Dimensional Doors v2.2.5-test9 by StevenRS11, SenseiKiwi
  • Doomlike Dungeons v1.8.10
  • EnviroMine v1.3.124 by Funwayguy, TimbuckTato, GenDeathrow, thislooksfun
  • Falling Meteors v2.14.3
  • Flaxbeard's Steam Power v1.7.10-0.29.3 by Elifoster, SatanicSanta, xbony2, dmillerw, Flaxbeard, Zenith
  • Hammerz v0.1.7.37
  • Hardcore Darkness v1.7 by lumien
  • Hardcore Ender Expansion v1.8.6 by chylex
  • Harder Wildlife v15.26.1b by Draco18s
  • Hunger Overhaul v1.7.10-1.0.0.jenkins75 by iguana_man, Parker8283, progwml6, squeek502
  • Iguana Tinker Tweaks v1.7.10-2.1.6.163 by boni, iguana_man
  • Iguana Tweaks v2B by iguana_man
  • Infernal Mobs v1.6.0
  • Inventory Tweaks v1.59-dev-152-cf6e263
  • Localized Weather & Storms v2.3.11 by Corosus
  • Lycanites Mobs v1.13.0.5 - MC 1.7.10
  • Metallurgy 4 v4.0.8 by Team Metallurgy
  • Mine & Blade Battlegear 2 - Bullseye v1.7.10 by nerd-boy, GotoLink, coolAlias
  • MineTweaker 3 v3.0.10 by Stan Hebben
  • Mob Properties v1.0.2 by FatherToast
  • Mod Tweaker 2 v0.9.6 by Jaredlll08
  • ModpackTweaks v1.7.10-1.2.0-26 by tterrag1098
  • Natura v2.2.0
  • Natural Absorption v1.2.1 by FatherToast
  • NEI Integration v1.1.2 by tonius11
  • Nether Ores v1.7.10R2.3.1 by PowerCrystals, TehKrush, AtomicStryker, skyboy026
  • Not Enough Items v1.0.5.120 by ChickenBones
  • Ore Flowers v1.0.0 by Draco18s
  • Pam's HarvestCraft v1.7.10j by Pamela Collins
  • Pam's Temperate Plants v1.7.2b
  • PoorOres v1.7.10-1.4.8 by Xexanos
  • Primitive Mobs v1.0 by Daveyx0
  • Random Things v2.2.4 by Lumien
  • Realistic Terrain Generation v1.7.10-1.0.1 by Team RTG
  • RPGAdvMod v1.0.0
  • Salty Mod v1.8.c by Liahim
  • Simple Achievements vMC1.7.10-1.1.0-21
  • Somnia v-au by Kingrunes
  • Special AI v1.1.2 by FatherToast
  • Special Mobs v3.2.2 by FatherToast
  • Stackie v1.6.0.36 by Lunatrius
  • Stalker Creepers v1.7.10-1.0.9 by AtomicStryker
  • StartingInventory v1.7.10.r03 by DaftPVF, bspkrs
  • Streams v0.2 by delvr
  • The Spice of Life v1.3.2 by squeek
  • The Twilight Forest v2.3.7
  • Thermal Foundation v1.7.10R1.2.3 by Team CoFH
  • Tinkers' Construct v1.7.10-1.8.8.build991 by mDiyo, fuj1n, ProgWML6, Sunstrike, Pillbox, boni
  • Tinkers' Steelworks v1.7.10-1.1.2 by Toops
  • TNTUtils v1.2 by ljfa
  • TooMuchLoot v4.0.1
  • TWBB Tweaks v1.7.10-1.0.0
  • Ye Olde Tanks v1.4.5 by Shadowfacts
  • Zombie Awareness v1.10
  • Default World Generator v0.1-b13 by FireBall1725
  • LiMI v1.0 by Vazkii
  • ArmorStatusHUD v1.28 by bspkrs
  • Better Foliage v2.0.9 by octarine-noise, Meringue
  • DirectionHUD v1.24 by bspkrs
  • Dynamic Lights v1.3.8
  • Dynamic Surroundings v1.0.5.6 by OreCruncher
  • ItemPhysic v1.1.5 by CreativeMD
  • Sound Filters v0.8_for_1.7.X by Tmtravlr
  • Forge Auto-Shutdown v1.07 by Polaris_iv

I know I need some artwork, I'm working on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: buggirlexpres

Undead Zeratul

Jul 29, 2019
So it's BnB with enviromine?

At first glance, sure; the difference between our packs however is that while Eyamaz's Blood N Bones focuses on difficult mobs and crafting progression, my pack instead has almost no crafting progression, tech, or magic and instead focuses on the world itself being the challenge.

I've focused the difficulty on the struggle to survive no matter what stage of the pack you're in. I've done this by increasing the difficulty of mobs (through the help of infernal mobs) the further you progress, as well as applying enviromine properties to as many blocks and items as I can to help enforce the theme. The nether will make you go insane and overheat, for example. You'll have to plan your equipment load out accordingly, instead of just wearing the top tier gear and blazing through every challenge.

While it is a challenge/hardcore pack like BnB, I feel we emphasize our challenges on different areas.

Edit: spelling & grammar

Spywerd

Jul 29, 2019
How is it fun for their to be virtually no progression system in your pack? You say it's a struggle to survive no matter what stage of the game you're in...I find that to be counter to the point of Minecraft. The fun is crafting a place for yourself in a hostile environment and beating the odds. Especially in these challenge maps. I'm sure this map will be for many people, sadly I'm not one of them. I like a good challenge, but this just isn't for me.

Undead Zeratul

Jul 29, 2019
I meant progression in terms of crafting recipes and machinery. As for securing your own place, there's obviously blocks and materials you can use to build your house out of that will not be destroyed by mobs or violent weather, as well as the fact that each mod adds their own way to prevent said disasters. Falling Meteors adds meteor deflectors to prevent one falling on your base, and the Localized Weather & Storms mod adds weather defenses so that tornadoes don't come and destroy everything you've built.

The last thing I want to do with this is have some arbitrary obstacle randomly decide to wreck everything you've made for the last few weeks. I want it to be tough, but not impossible. I want it to be a challenge, but not annoying. There's a reason this pack is still in beta; because I'm still tweaking it before I've decided it's worthy of being "finished".

Bearnado123

Jul 29, 2019
May I suggest adding a mod by father toast called Apocalypse, it adds a difficulty meter that goes up over time making mobs stronger as time goes on
Edit: If you do add this I would add something adding more tiers of armour or something to make long worlds more possible

Ziibez

Jul 29, 2019
At first glance, sure; the difference between our packs however is that while Eyamaz's Blood N Bones focuses on difficult mobs and crafting progression, my pack instead has almost no crafting progression, tech, or magic and instead focuses on the world itself being the challenge.

I've focused the difficulty on the struggle to survive no matter what stage of the pack you're in. I've done this by increasing the difficulty of mobs (through the help of infernal mobs) the further you progress, as well as applying enviromine properties to as many blocks and items as I can to help enforce the theme. The nether will make you go insane and overheat, for example. You'll have to plan your equipment load out accordingly, instead of just wearing the top tier gear and blazing through every challenge.

While it is a challenge/hardcore pack like BnB, I feel we emphasize our challenges on different areas.

Edit: spelling & grammar

Awesome, that does sound pretty cool. Sorry if I came across dickish in my other comment. It was 3am and I'd just finished work, lol. I might have to give this a try or see if the guys I play around with would fancy playing on a little private server. I take it there is server files available? :D

May I suggest adding a mod by father toast called Apocalypse, it adds a difficulty meter that goes up over time making mobs stronger as time goes on
Edit: If you do add this I would add something adding more tiers of armour or something to make long worlds more possible

THIS!!! I'd love to have a constant challenge when settling in a place rather than securing it and being safe in the knowledge I'm untouchable. That happened in BnB as soon as we started mass producing compressed cobble.

Undead Zeratul

Jul 29, 2019

I could definitely look into this. I have it set up where the further you progress into the other dimensions, the more often you'll find infernal mobs, up until having all boss mobs ALWAYS infernal; but having a base in the overworld will always be the same difficulty, so we'll see.

Awesome, that does sound pretty cool. Sorry if I came across dickish in my other comment. It was 3am and I'd just finished work, lol. I might have to give this a try or see if the guys I play around with would fancy playing on a little private server. I take it there is server files available? :D

THIS!!! I'd love to have a constant challenge when settling in a place rather than securing it and being safe in the knowledge I'm untouchable. That happened in BnB as soon as we started mass producing compressed cobble.

Oh it's no problem. I initially thought it was a bit rude, but then I thought "let's not jump to conclusions here, they're probably not trying to sound rude". Yes, There are server files available.

I too noticed that was one of the flaws with how BnB did it's difficulty. Sure, it's balls to the wall insanely hard at first, but once you build a dirt platform floating above the ground, it's not an issue anymore. If you've watched Pakratt's playthrough, you'll know what I mean. I didn't want to have those kinds of situations where you where 60% of the time your shelter works every time.

Undead Zeratul

Jul 29, 2019
by the way does this have hqm or something to show how the progression with these dimensions work?

No, there's no HQM, but I will try to have something up by the full release that explains the progression. Which reminds me, I should have a modlist in the OP; doing that now.

Edit: modlist now included in the OP.

As for the walkthrough, I might see about whipping up a short video intro, or even just stream a bit of the early game (possibly on peaceful just so that I can actually progress, and not die over and over again for the sake of the tutorial). But we'll see what I end up actually doing; I do want to have some sort of walkthrough or set of information for you guys so you're not just left in the dark (figuratively and literally).

Last edited:

Undead Zeratul

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I have finally released a new version of TWBB! The OP should contain all the new information about the pack.

Undead Zeratul

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the report. From the looks of it, it seems to be coming from TNT Utils. If I remember correctly, we had a similar problem with another pack I was working on, and we found out we had to use Java 8 instead.

Since TWBB doesn't use TNTUtils very extensively (so far I only have it tweak the size and drop rate of explosions, but plan to increase its influence in future updates), you can just disable the mod for now, unless you're ok with updating to Java 8. I'll investigate this either way, and make a note in the OP/Mod Description.

Dylz101

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmm... I seem to be getting an Invalid Pack Code Error whenever I try and use the pack code "TWBB", not entirely sure what the problem is.
Thanks for any help.

Undead Zeratul

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, that's odd; I wonder if that's on FTB's side, since I don't really have any personal control over that. Is there any other info besides that it didn't work? I may have to test myself later and if I can reproduce, I'll report it to one of the FTB guys. In the meantime, the pack should be working on the Curse Launcher, as well as the Technic Launcher, if you are OK with using a different launcher temporarily.

Dylz101

Jul 29, 2019
Not a problem, I have pretty much entirely moved over to curse for most packs. I will try and get the command log when I get the error.

Edit: My internet hiccuped, so it's working now. Thanks for the help :)

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Hey,
I see the version of TNTUtils you use is a bit old. Version 0.3-alpha requiring Java 8 was kinda accidental, newer versions should be fine with Java 7 (anyway I'd still recommend everyone to use Java 8).

Anyway, nice to see that someone is using it. And I wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't for OpenEye ^^