Mod Feedback [1.7.10|1.8.9|1.9|1.10] Ping! (Latest 3.0.5)

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Ping! is a pretty simple mod. It makes the client play a short sound every time your name is mentioned in chat, kinda like many IRC clients. You can read more about it on the wiki.

Downloads are available on CurseForge
Source code and issue tracking is available on GitHub

Here's a history lesson for you: The mod began as an experimental project in writing some code in the Kotlin language. However, since Forgelin is only available for 1.8+, and I couldn't get a backport working, it was quickly rewritten in Java. Thankfully, Java and Kotlin code is almost identical syntax-wise. There's your history of the mod. You can see how a mod would look like if it were written in Kotlin in the commit history on GitHub.

Reactions: Wraithflay

Wraithflay

Jul 29, 2019
Out of morbid curiosity, are you able to 'teach' it to trigger off of specific user chosen words? For example, nobody in chat ever calls me Wraithflay, just Wraith, so having it only trigger off my full name doesn't actually achieve much, heh. I'm assuming you've already thought of this, but just in case...!

Reactions: SatanicSanta

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Out of morbid curiosity, are you able to 'teach' it to trigger off of specific user chosen words? For example, nobody in chat ever calls me Wraithflay, just Wraith, so having it only trigger off my full name doesn't actually achieve much, heh. I'm assuming you've already thought of this, but just in case...!
Surprisingly I actually haven't thought of this. It'd be super easy, too.

RenzosNips

Jul 29, 2019
That would be pretty helpful. Despite my many different usernames, many of my friends call me Red (to the point that's all I respond to, most the time).
Pretty cool though Santa!

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
New Ping! version, 1.1.0

• NEW: You can now add custom names to be pinged as.
  • NEW: Chat style is can now be customized to be bold, italic, strikethrough, and/or underlined.
  • NEW: Chat color is configurable.
  • INFO: Java 7 or higher is now a hard requirement, due to Java 6's lack of string switches.
  • DEV: Remove all mentions of Kotlin, so it no longer tries to compile Kotlin code that doesn't exist.

Wraithflay

Jul 29, 2019
New Ping! version, 1.1.0

• NEW: You can now add custom names to be pinged as.
  • NEW: Chat style is can now be customized to be bold, italic, strikethrough, and/or underlined.
  • NEW: Chat color is configurable.
  • INFO: Java 7 or higher is now a hard requirement, due to Java 6's lack of string switches.
  • DEV: Remove all mentions of Kotlin, so it no longer tries to compile Kotlin code that doesn't exist.
Awesome stuff, thanks as always Santa, you're the best. ^.^

Reactions: SatanicSanta