(1.6.4) Which minimap?

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
I'm compiling my own combination of mods under 1.6.4 and I've been catching major grief from which minimap to use.

Rei's / Zan's Minimap - Both of these have the same bug for me; Mob / Monster Radar turned on just fills the minimap up with massive solid color blobs, one for each critter... with each blob taking up nearly 25% of the minimap. This means that any area with more than 4 mobs in it end up totally blotting out the Minimap.

Mapwriter - I really want to love this one but I really freaking hate the fact that the current waypoints list doesn't auto-switch when you swap dimensions. Waypoints across dimensions is an automatic and seamless affair on Rei's / Zan's .. with Mapwriter I end up having to cycle through dimension group after dimension group just to cycle BACK to Overworld or Nether waypoints.. whichever. SUPER ANNOYING.

Does anyone have any other lesser known minimap mods that they are using.. which they are having better success with?

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
I much prefer Zan's due to the massive power of its waypoints. Mapwriter is only really decent if you need to look over the giant map.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
I much prefer Zan's due to the massive power of its waypoints. Mapwriter is only really decent if you need to look over the giant map.
Do you use the "Mob Radar" function in Zan's at all?

I am curious if others are having this issue that I do, or if it is a mod conflict somewhere.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I use zan's for the minimap, and journeymap for a live ingame map.
though I am tempted to try out mapwriter in combination with opis.

Algester

Jul 29, 2019
it depends on usage for example mapwriter is good with opis if you are an admin of a server which you locally host and play minecraft with ( i dont see the practicality of it in SSP unless your doing a massive ore processing plant and the power you use and generate isnt safe for your own PC)
zan/rei's minimap is good in general just for single play and just having a map in general

Last edited:

Ripley

Jul 29, 2019
Mob Radar works fine here on Zan's minimap.
Are you using optifine or something along those lines(shader mod)?

I feel Zan's has some pretty cheaty options(that I never use) like teleport but on the other hand it's very nice to pinpoint where those zombie noises are coming from :p.

What I always felt would be nice is a technological map, ie you start without a minimap and must do something like build antennas to have waypoints or launch a satellite to have a map anywhere. You could put addons onto the satellite to show mobs or caves.
When you think about it, it could be quite awesome, for the waypoints you could give out a frequency and share all your waypoints with someone for example.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Include all 3 minimaps in your pack, and leave all 3 in the disabled mod column (right hand side)?
Its already configured and setup so your players can just enable the one they want, and switch between very easily.
Though personally I'm always turning them off. Its fun to navigate with only the sun, landmarks and a compass.

auris331

Jul 29, 2019
personally I currently use reis minimap and mapwriter. reis for waypoints and mapwriter for easier exploration

Reactions: Odovbold

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
I am a friendless vampire right now, so I predominantly play Single Player only.. no server action. I like having waypoints to use, and while the teleportation in Zan's can be occasionally be super useful I only rarely end up using it. I actually LIKE walking / flying from one spot to the other on the map so I don't need teleportation.

I do really need my mob radar however, and yes I have OptiFine installed. I guess I will have to see if that is what is causing my issue. Hrmm.

auris331

Jul 29, 2019
well if you ever get graphical glitches and have optifine installed then the first thing you should try doing is uninstalling optifine

Someguy

Jul 29, 2019
I know the cause of your "big squares" issue with Zan's. It's basically the icon for some mod-added mobs, which are unknown to Zan's. So things like Ars Magica mobs will cause those huge squares. You can go into the config and disable radar for those specific mobs. You won't seem them on radar, but at least it's usable.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
I know the cause of your "big squares" issue with Zan's. It's basically the icon for some mod-added mobs, which are unknown to Zan's. So things like Ars Magica mobs will cause those huge squares. You can go into the config and disable radar for those specific mobs. You won't seem them on radar, but at least it's usable.
I think this actually might be it. Pigs, Sheep, Creepers, etc all look like normal icons. I've got Ars Magicka 2 installed as well as Natura (slimes) and Dr.Zhark's Mo' Creatures.. hmm.

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
I'm compiling my own combination of mods under 1.6.4 and I've been catching major grief from which minimap to use.

Rei's / Zan's Minimap - Both of these have the same bug for me; Mob / Monster Radar turned on just fills the minimap up with massive solid color blobs, one for each critter... with each blob taking up nearly 25% of the minimap. This means that any area with more than 4 mobs in it end up totally blotting out the Minimap.

Mapwriter - I really want to love this one but I really freaking hate the fact that the current waypoints list doesn't auto-switch when you swap dimensions. Waypoints across dimensions is an automatic and seamless affair on Rei's / Zan's .. with Mapwriter I end up having to cycle through dimension group after dimension group just to cycle BACK to Overworld or Nether waypoints.. whichever. SUPER ANNOYING.

Does anyone have any other lesser known minimap mods that they are using.. which they are having better success with?
I'd suggest rei's, in the version I'm using (which is an old version, and it probably is fixed) zan's minimap is pretty darn buggy. Rei's minimap doesn't seem like a cheating tool, but zan's seems like that,

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
I personally think it depends on the type of pack. In most adventure packs I prefer to run Map Writer, but in tech ones it's almost always Zan's. But the release of Opis has made a big difference. I think it just depends on whether or not you're running a server.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I have always used an loved Rei's. It's not resource intensive and gives good functionality and settings without feeling "cheaty".

Reactions: xbony2

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I have always used an loved Rei's. It's not resource intensive and gives good functionality and settings without feeling "cheaty".

I do believe though that Rei's had some compatibility issues in the past with other mods and such, hence why FTB went over to Zan's

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
Whatever solution I end up using, this is all going to be in Single Player. That means that I'm not so concerned with "Cheaty" features like mob radar or teleporting to waypoints. I suspect that, whichever the choice, I'll use it in conjuction with JourneyMap, I really like that idea.

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
SSP I would use Journey map, sure it doesn't have a radar map, but if you have a separate monitor you can view a live feed of the map on another screen...or use a tablet. It shows mobs on it as well if you need that.