1.6.2 IC craft on Direwolf20

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dackstrus

Jul 29, 2019
So.. I've been looking around, and checking wikis and such... And i can't find a damn thing on this

The new power system messed with the cables, I'm wondering if tin inherited everything from copper cables, Including it's power loss over distance, so my question is..

Anyone know what the new power loss ranges are? Or if there is any now?

Sorry if this is like hellishly old.. I've been gone awhile.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry to be so pedantic, but IC craft? Industrialcraft Craft?

Sorry, I haven't used IC2 for a while. I would point you in the direction of Direwolf20's videos, but he has only covered it in Forgecraft not SSP. As a result you wouldn't really be getting a tutorial.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
nah, you ain't gonna nothin on that. and by nothin, I mean shit.

InThayne

Oct 14, 2013
I 'hear' there is no loss, just be conscious of max eu per cable- also no 'splosions' yet.
I guess that means when they finally update it proper your base ends up a smoking crater.

John.E

Dec 18, 2013
Doral, FL
Right now the IC2 e-net isn't fully enabled because IC2 experimental is under very heavy development (you can see the dev changes here). So, there is no power loss and you can use pretty much any cable for whatever power you want; and machine explosions have been (temporarily) disabled.

In theory, once it's fully enabled, it will work very differently from the old ic2. It doesn't use packets anymore. Instead, eu production is cumulative. So, if you have 3 generators feeding a tin cable (which is rated for 32 eu) into a batbox you'll be fine. However, if you add a fourth generator, that would give you a total of 40 eu being produced, and that will cause explosions somewhere. Same thing goes for two batboxes feeding a single line. That will give you 64 eu total produced, and any machine that can only take 32 eu will explode. Expect to use plenty of transformer upgrades, or separating out low eu machines from high eu input.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
To put the new energy system into a metaphor:
Old IC2: dwarves run side by side in the powerlines
New IC2: the tiny dwarves run into eachother and meld into larger dwarves

This was taken from a thread somewhere on the forums...

Last edited:

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
To put the new energy system into a metaphor:
Old IC2: dwarves run side by side in the powerlines
New IC2: the tiny dwarves run into eachother and meld into larger dwarves

and if there's not enough room for the larger dwarves the cables will break
and if you try to push the larger dwarves through a tinier hole in a machine, they'll get angry and wreck the machine

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
does the eu reader work for anyone? I can't get it to do anything.

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
I really suggest avoiding IC2 until it's further along in development. You may set up a bunch of stuff, update the pack, and be welcomed with a huge crater. These IC2 machines are expensive, thousands of diamonds judging by the highest tier recipes. Wait it out and use Thermal Expansion. Personally, I like it more anyway. I've never liked having to step power down/install transformer upgrades to prevent explosivions. Then to make matters worse, some machines won't even accept transformer upgrades so you have to run 2 lines. IC2 is complex for the sake of complex, and that's just not fun in my book.

What they should do is when you hook up a machine wrong, you need to supply it with a semi-cheap power supply, and then wrench the machine. As expensive as these machines are now, having one explode can be the result of losing a dozens of hours of mining.

Last edited:

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I disagree with Tyrindor, the new IC can he fun with a few new machines, and it pretty stable so far. Sure you have to be more careful, but using TE and IC together is great! IC upaded machines and UU matter, with TE machines for other things that IC2 does not cover.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
I really suggest avoiding IC2 until it's further along in development. You may set up a bunch of stuff, update the pack, and be welcomed with a huge crater. These IC2 machines are expensive, thousands of diamonds judging by the highest tier recipes. Wait it out and use Thermal Expansion. Personally, I like it more anyway. I've never liked having to step power down/install transformer upgrades to prevent explosivions. Then to make matters worse, some machines won't even accept transformer upgrades so you have to run 2 lines. IC2 is complex for the sake of complex, and that's just not fun in my book.

What they should do is when you hook up a machine wrong, you need to supply it with a semi-cheap power supply, and then wrench the machine. As expensive as these machines are now, having one explode can be the result of losing a dozens of hours of mining.
There's no reason to avoid it, if you're having fun horsing around with it. Before you update a pack/mod, you will have read the changelog and created a world backup (you have done that, right?), so you can always fall back if things go horribly wrong. Also, I'm guessing there might be a 'splosion' config, but I could be wrong.

Dackstrus

Jul 29, 2019

IC was my first mod. It's been programed into my bones so.. I tend to do alot of things just for the sake of keeping everything not exploded.

I really hope tin cable keeps it's old range on EU loss when they finally put it back in. Having to toss a transformer every 4 blocks was annoying as sin.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
nah, got to have it to make diamonds and charge stuff. but I don't plan on going all that much deeper past the basic machines. I'm not even going near uu

Dackstrus

Jul 29, 2019
I'm currently doing some testing with it, And, for the moment, any energy storage can take in any amount of power, but only output it's own limit.

I actually like that. Using power boxes to flat out limit power into a line, while using transformers to split or just lower the packet size without choking the line.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
People using ic2ex just have to remember that the explosion when fed too much power has been disabled for the time beinb. So when updating, read before you do because if your setup is wrong and the update reenables the explosion, you are going to get a really empty base.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RedBoss