1.5.2 solar farm area

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

tonic316

Jul 29, 2019
In what way?
Because when you afk you lose food and when you're at 0 food you lose health. So sitting in a hot springs regens your health and food.

You know what else is useless. Any generator below thermal. Like what is the point of the coal coke oven and using that oil it produces in the semi fluid generator when a thermal engine is far better and easier. They should buff the semi fluid generator.

Necr0maNceR

Jul 29, 2019
thats complete bullshit, just saying
Ah yes, you're right. I checked again, and I was way off. I guess I misremembered, or the original source was way off. As I said, I did hear it a long time ago. My memory is from some video in science class in grade school. I guess I shouldn't trust my memory from that far back, ha.

I apologize for that.

However, given that was the only part of what I said that you actually decided to comment on, I take that to mean that you could not find anything wrong with the rest then?

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Like what is the point of the coal coke oven and using that oil it produces in the semi fluid generator when a thermal engine is far better and easier. They should buff the semi fluid generator.
semi fluid generators are entry level eu generation (8eu/t). It's on par with an advanced solar panel in energy generation and fairly cheap. Creosote is the worst thing to run in it as it only yields 3,000 eu/bucket. You'd get 64k eu/bucket from oil and 8k eu/bucket from biomass. If it was buffed then people would spam them like solar panels and then the conversation would loop in the same critique of solar.

Besides if you have excess coal and no use for rails, then running creosote from a coke oven is almost free energy, so.... Yeah

tonic316

Jul 29, 2019
semi fluid generators are entry level eu generation (8eu/t). It's on par with an advanced solar panel in energy generation and fairly cheap. Creosote is the worst thing to run in it as it only yields 3,000 eu/bucket. You'd get 64k eu/bucket from oil and 8k eu/bucket from biomass. If it was buffed then people would spam them like solar panels and then the conversation would loop in the same critique of solar.

Besides if you have excess coal and no use for rails, then running creosote from a coke oven is almost free energy, so.... Yeah

Makes sense. I guess I was only looking at fueling them with creosote oil which was the whole problem with my complaint ><

QKninja

Jul 29, 2019

I think the main difference here is that even if you have coal to spare to make creosote, you're still using e coal to make it. One of the largest complaints about solar energy is "something from nothing." You COULD spam semi fluids and pump out creosote oil, but you're still using coal to make it. And coal coke is only semi-useful.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
I took a class on tech & society at school. There are a few spots on the planet which receive the most sunlight/year (due to weather and location) that if we totally covered them with solar panels, with today's technology we could meet the energy needs of society. (Part of Africa [Sahara Desert], Australia [Whatever Desert], Central America [Something whatever], are the few that I remember. It was intriguing, comparing what it would take from each renewable and non-renewable resource for the globe. Obviously a combination would work best.)

Problem is, as with GT, solar panels are extremely expensive and the world isn't in a state where collaboration over building a planet-wide energy system is feasible. People are still arguing over land and ideals. Good luck trying to find a way to manage these few hundred km squared of very expensive piece of land that provide "endless" energy.

Necr0maNceR

Jul 29, 2019
I took a class on tech & society at school. There are a few spots on the planet which receive the most sunlight/year (due to weather and location) that if we totally covered them with solar panels, with today's technology we could meet the energy needs of society. (Part of Africa [Sahara Desert], Australia [Whatever Desert], Central America [Something whatever], are the few that I remember. It was intriguing, comparing what it would take from each renewable and non-renewable resource for the globe. Obviously a combination would work best.)

Problem is, as with GT, solar panels are extremely expensive and the world isn't in a state where collaboration over building a planet-wide energy system is feasible. People are still arguing over land and ideals. Good luck trying to find a way to manage these few hundred km squared of very expensive piece of land that provide "endless" energy.
That's all very interesting. About how much energy per meter per whatever-unit-of-time do solar panels produce in these very sunny areas? I'm interested in knowing so I can see if there is any way to compare it to the amount of energy minecraft solar panels produce. Now, I'd be comparing the real world to a video game, so I couldn't make a perfect conversion or anything, but it would be interesting to compare what the two things can power. For example, the type and quantity of a real world machine that can be powered by a real world solar panel, compared to what minecraft machines can be powered by a given type of solar panel that has been in the sun for just as long.

If you don't have the output info for a real-world solar panel in a super bright near-cloudless desert like you talked about, then I can probably do a little research of my own and figure it out, so don't worry.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I think the main difference here is that even if you have coal to spare to make creosote, you're still using e coal to make it. One of the largest complaints about solar energy is "something from nothing." You COULD spam semi fluids and pump out creosote oil, but you're still using coal to make it. And coal coke is only semi-useful.
There are options for people who play differently, have different priorities, and skill levels. If it's in the game then folks will use it. If the guy 1,000 blocks from me wants to fill 30 railcraft tanks with sewage, then hats off to him. Make a house from meat blocks, fire missiles at jungle cats, make a decorative rug, whatever. It's their game, focus on your own. :p:D

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
But they are practical for generating large amounts of power. And a lot safer than other ways of generating lots of power.

They're not really practical.. They're supernatural. They bend the suspension of disbelief and make rational people ask what drugs the designers were on. They may as well be described as "powered by magic".

Given default IC2 configs, a 512EU/t solar panel outpowers any nuclear reactor that doesn't burn lapis/redstone condensators, and even those it continues to outpower on a per-block calculation.

Reactions: Loufmier

QKninja

Jul 29, 2019
There are options for people who play differently, have different priorities, and skill levels. If it's in the game then folks will use it. If the guy 1,000 blocks from me wants to fill 30 railcraft tanks with sewage, then hats off to him. Make a house from meat blocks, fire missiles at jungle cats, make a decorative rug, whatever. It's their game, focus on your own. :p:D

Oh, I have nothing against solars, I use them to power my own base. I just think that "power for nothing" with no automation knowledge is the main reason why some people have a bigger problem with them as opposed to other, more complex, power sources. If you want to use creosote to power your base, more power to you, seeing that infrastructure would actually be pretty cool.

Reactions: RedBoss

dtech100

Jul 29, 2019
Solar's are nice for start. Good that advanced solar require uu matter so no easy mass EU production for a really cheap costs. I started with solar panels but later i changed it for MJ power from steam boiler - refined bees FTW. But when you want to use them to power mass fabricator use hard mode - especially when you must use a lot of uranium - which can be made by bees. It's hard to get radioactive bees so then buidling ultimate hybrid solar isn't that "cheating" like people are saying. Only easy old recipe for advanced solar is. Alos making eternal day mystcraft world is tougher than make promised land from BoP - because you must find a lot of pages and write your world correctly.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
That's all very interesting. About how much energy per meter per whatever-unit-of-time do solar panels produce in these very sunny areas? I'm interested in knowing so I can see if there is any way to compare it to the amount of energy minecraft solar panels produce. Now, I'd be comparing the real world to a video game, so I couldn't make a perfect conversion or anything, but it would be interesting to compare what the two things can power. For example, the type and quantity of a real world machine that can be powered by a real world solar panel, compared to what minecraft machines can be powered by a given type of solar panel that has been in the sun for just as long.

If you don't have the output info for a real-world solar panel in a super bright near-cloudless desert like you talked about, then I can probably do a little research of my own and figure it out, so don't worry.
Clouds = moisture, not much of that in deserts. It's not my research either, just what I hear from Ph'Ds at school.

I don't know much about solar panels. I am not that kind of engineer, though I am sure it's not hard to figure out. Using MC as a model for these kinds of things isn't really applicable, but power to you if you want to make that kind of a comparison. It's not even about the conversion, it's just that there are many other things to factor in, for the real world, than in MC that you just can't simulate. The cost differential between titanium and steel isn't quantity, it's the amount of energy required to produce those metals. White paint is made out of titanium (learned that in a Youtube video).

Photo-voltaic cells is a good place to start if you're interested in solar power technology. That course was a tech & society course. i.e. Learning the impacts of technology on society and vice versa, the effects that society has on technological progression. A break from all the technical/fundamental science/math courses I go through. It didn't focus on the technical aspect, is what I'm saying.

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
Nice :D. Wait a bit before using it to make sure its stable.

@the rest of the replies

What did I start :(

Fusion reactor is interesting game play I would say but it requires a crap ton of iridium to get going before you can do it so its either this or bees to get your iridium. Bee's are actually pretty crazy in how quick you can get iridium but it takes a lot of work to get to that level.

Definitely agree that bees are pretty crazy. You can even get a stack worth of 64 iridium ingots in 1 minute if you wanted to be that crazy. Regardless, I love them and think that if you can get that far, you damn well deserve your 64 worth of iridium ingots per minute (it may be easier to generate 7x64 UU-matter per minute relative to a pure bee approach, lol). [DOUBLEPOST=1373926312][/DOUBLEPOST]
i understand you opinion, and appreciate it, however IC2 solars are on par with quantum generator in terms of complexity.
its simply something you cannot ignore.

Then you should get rid of chunk loaders, bees, etc, and anything that can provide something for nothing. Clearly all of those can and have been abused as well.

It's a bloody game, not a tour around Complexity City. If it's a chore, I'd rather just quit playing altogether. If you want your games hard, I get it. But get off your high horse in trying to make get others to conform to your notion of what minecraft should be.\

Complexity = Fun, does not apply to everyone.

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
Because when you afk you lose food and when you're at 0 food you lose health. So sitting in a hot springs regens your health and food.

You know what else is useless. Any generator below thermal. Like what is the point of the coal coke oven and using that oil it produces in the semi fluid generator when a thermal engine is far better and easier. They should buff the semi fluid generator.
That's only if you use GT. Also, that thing about restoring hunger has been removed from the most recent versions, and you need a special amethyst bucket to move spring water.
As for solar panels, those 512 EU/t things exists so servers don't get abused as much. They're basically storage blocks for solar panels, as you should know. In that way, Compact Solars is perfectly balanced, unlike Advanced Solar Panels which requires other things (and tons of microcrafting) that are only supposedly equal in cost to making tons of solars.
And speaking of suns and IC2s, why does UU-matter even exist? Something that can be easily obtained just by making cobble generators (or running quarries), especially if you're not using GT, that can literally turn dirt into diamonds? How come people often complain about EE but I hardly ever see anyone complaining about this?

loboca

Jul 29, 2019

Well, this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Valley_Solar_Ranch creates 250MW (capacity) out of 796 hectares, which are 10,000 m2 each, so 250,000,000 watts on 7,960,000 square meters = 31 Watts/square-meter.

A CLF is about 15 watts, so 2 CFLs / square-meter.
(Edit, I make no guarantees about maths)

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
IIT; People who bothered to build Reactors only to have them outclassed by one block and now feel like chumps.

Which is really the main point regarding solars. You build something elaborate only to have someone say to you that you are a chump and should have used solars.

It's totaly a problem of Ego.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
IIT; People who bothered to build Reactors only to have them outclassed by one block and now feel like chumps.

Which is really the main point regarding solars. You build something elaborate only to have someone say to you that you are a chump and should have used solars.

People have fun in different ways. If FTB was a get solar panels-game, I wouldn't be playing it.

A get more advanced solar panels-game. Pretty good selling point.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
People have fun in different ways. If FTB was a get solar panels-game, I wouldn't be playing it.

A get more advanced solar panels-game. Pretty good selling point.

Some people don't get that though, both those who keep going on about nerfing solars to the ones who harras those who make reactors instead of just plonking down solars.

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019

Well, then those solar-panel egotists need to be jailed and stored in the nether. I honestly don't get the need for competition in a freaking sandbox game like Minecraft. Who gives a rotten flesh what you do in your world or server that you play on?I just do not get it.

To resolve the issue with solars, you just need to increase the output of nuclear reactors and reduce its cost.
I'd also advocate for solar panels producing 1eu/t during the night REGARDLESS of what type of panel you have. It makes no sense that an ultimate panel can produce 64eu/t at night. This essentially means that an ultimate panel would be 256 eu/t throughout when combined with an MFSU (and assuming that no more than 256 eu/t is used during the day). If this happened, I think people would honestly stop whining and Q.Q-ing about solar panels (I personally do not care either way because my math always assumes that I get 0 eu/t during the night when making systems).