[1.5.2/1.6.2 Forge] Modular Furnace

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, but you are only going to be able to access one 'face' at a time, which is why I referred to 9.

If you build it away from the wall you can have access to 24 faces without having to go above or below the furnaces, 9 on one side, 9 on the opposite side, and 3 each on the remaining sides. You could also access the top and bottom center furnaces from above and below but really there would be no need to access the center column of furnaces when you already have 24 of them accessible.

You could also combine this with factorization's furnace heaters to make it a player-made multi-block with very fast furnaces that run on steam, but you would either have to cut down on accessible faces or increase the size to make it more efficient. In a 3x3x3 you could get 15 heaters with 12 furnaces, and each furnace being touched by 3 heaters.

Anyway, back to the mod. There are a few questions. How does the diamond block's doubling effect work with dusts from mods such as TE or IC2? Does it double the dusts meaning you can increase your output to 4x for metals? Also, I like that you are working on I/O blocks to support other mods. As for the buildcraft issue you were having in the video though it seemed more like the pipe just wanted to pull from the entire inventory rather than interact with the I/O to only pull from a specific slot. Did you try using AE to pull out the items instead of BC? If nothing else testing multiple mods on the I/o will help get an understanding of what settings should work and which ones won't work with some mods.

Now, back to my hidey-hole.

Reactions: PeggleFrank

Pauljoda

Jul 29, 2019
If you build it away from the wall you can have access to 24 faces without having to go above or below the furnaces, 9 on one side, 9 on the opposite side, and 3 each on the remaining sides. You could also access the top and bottom center furnaces from above and below but really there would be no need to access the center column of furnaces when you already have 24 of them accessible.

You could also combine this with factorization's furnace heaters to make it a player-made multi-block with very fast furnaces that run on steam, but you would either have to cut down on accessible faces or increase the size to make it more efficient. In a 3x3x3 you could get 15 heaters with 12 furnaces, and each furnace being touched by 3 heaters.

Anyway, back to the mod. There are a few questions. How does the diamond block's doubling effect work with dusts from mods such as TE or IC2? Does it double the dusts meaning you can increase your output to 4x for metals? Also, I like that you are working on I/O blocks to support other mods. As for the buildcraft issue you were having in the video though it seemed more like the pipe just wanted to pull from the entire inventory rather than interact with the I/O to only pull from a specific slot. Did you try using AE to pull out the items instead of BC? If nothing else testing multiple mods on the I/o will help get an understanding of what settings should work and which ones won't work with some mods.

Now, back to my hidey-hole.

To answer the diamond block question, kinda. There is a one in four chance (random not guaranteed) chance that upon smelting, it will double the output. Of anything. So yeah you can get a forth extra on average. It does give you a bit more, however since I am not adding support for energy types the lose of coal or fuel seems fair. The I/O is an idea that may or may not be implemented. Probably not, the reason is it kinda messes with how it works. If I can get it working well maybe. No promises.

As for why I am not adding energy support. After much thinking I have decided not to expand to that. While I know FTB is mainly tech mod there are other mod packs. Also, if you can power it then you would not need the iron blocks and could use all redstone. This takes away from the whole point of the mod. I need to stick to my theme and that is why I will not add support for those mods. However, I am open source so if anyone really wants to I strongly encourage them to make a mod that adds it. I would love to have people adapt the mod to exactly what they want.

Reactions: PeggleFrank

klopseline

Jul 29, 2019
You have to be carefull with the doubles everthing, because if you use just one mod that allows you to grind ingots back to dust, one could exploit it quite easily.
Like the idea though because i like multiblock structures that are more than just a bigger block.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
As for why I am not adding energy support. After much thinking I have decided not to expand to that. While I know FTB is mainly tech mod there are other mod packs. Also, if you can power it then you would not need the iron blocks and could use all redstone. This takes away from the whole point of the mod. I need to stick to my theme and that is why I will not add support for those mods. However, I am open source so if anyone really wants to I strongly encourage them to make a mod that adds it. I would love to have people adapt the mod to exactly what they want.

You could use the iron blocks to have the same energy concept as they already do. As more redstone is added, efficiency is decreased causing the need for the iron blocks. It would also make the furnace a lot more useful. By the time you have enough energy to entirely ignore iron blocks you'd already be swimming in coal anyways.

Pauljoda

Jul 29, 2019
You have to be carefull with the doubles everthing, because if you use just one mod that allows you to grind ingots back to dust, one could exploit it quite easily.
Like the idea though because i like multiblock structures that are more than just a bigger block.

My thing with exploits is yes if you really tried you could. It only doubles one in four times in theory, it is truly random, so you would have to do some work. However, most people who don't like exploits wont use them. The only people who use them are those who just want to exploit. I do see your point though. I may make a config so servers can disable the block.

klopseline

Jul 29, 2019
you don't have to ban the block from the mod only be selective which items get a chance of doubling stuff, like a list of ids which work in a config.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
My thing with exploits is yes if you really tried you could. It only doubles one in four times in theory, it is truly random, so you would have to do some work. However, most people who don't like exploits wont use them. The only people who use them are those who just want to exploit. I do see your point though. I may make a config so servers can disable the block.

Naa man just do what the other mods do and make it only recognize ores for doubling. Then there's minimal chance it could be used for an exploit.
You could then tune the diamond block further, make it so the diamond block adds 25% chance per block meaning 4 diamond blocks have 100% double rate. But have a drawback that it reduces efficiency and or speed in a multipicative manner. Like 1 diamond block reduces efficiency by 15% but 2 reduces it by 30%, 3 by 60%, 4 by 120%. This means you have to offset the negative stuff by choosing a combo either Redstone or Iron or just forgoing the extra diamond blocks to get the performance you need.

Redweevil

Jul 29, 2019
What could be really awesome is if you allowed the furnace to run on liquid fuel. Maybe not lava because we really don't need another reason for everyone to use lava but for BC compatibility it could be awesome