[1.5.2/1.6.2 Forge] Modular Furnace

Pauljoda

Jul 29, 2019
GKEXEbX.png

Tired of your boring old vanilla furnace? So was I. This mod aims to add a sense of realism to the Minecraft world. How can a little oven melt iron? Make your furnace perform as you see fit. Want some more efficiency? Want some speed? It is up to you. Put simply, there are 1.55x10^25 combinations! (roughly)

Getting Started
This mod is designed to be an early through mid game mod. So simply craft a vanilla furnace, smelt 8 cobblestone with one coal, craft stone bricks, and surround the vanilla furnace with the stone bricks in a craft grid. Now build your furnace. Early on, I recommend using all cobble and slowly upgrading it as you go. Build a 3x3x3 structure with a hollow center and leave the center of one side empty. Insert the Modular Furnace Core into this side and right click. Presto you have your new furnace.

SEzSvg2.png

Modular Furnace Core Crafting Recipe

Building Blocks
  • Cobblestone: Slightly better than a vanilla furnace. A good starting point
  • Redstone Block: Increase speed, but lose efficiency
  • Iron Block: Increase efficiency
  • Diamond Block: Add just one to have a chance of double outputs
  • Emerald Block: Add just one to triple your experience from smelting
  • Crafting Core: Add just one to add the crafting grid into your furnace GUI. Not required
cETJbaz.png

Crafting Core Recipe

uyBIl1b.png

GUI With Crafting Enabled

Features
-Config Options
  • Change Block ID's for using in mod packs
  • Use vanilla textures for blocks (off by default)
-Customized performance
-Can be right clicked on anywhere on the structure
-Can be automated with hoppers or mod items

Source
​My mod is licensed under version 3 of the GNU Lesser General Public License. Basically, you are free to modify and use this code as long as you don't claim it as your own and provide credit to the author. As I was learning to mod, I found open source mods extremely useful so that's why I want to make it available. If you think you can improve upon my code please let me know, I have experience with modding but I know it can be better. My GitHub can be found here.

Downloads
Minecraft Version 1.6.2

Minecraft Version 1.5.2

Bugs
-Flames not going out
-Progress bar not retaining scaling

Changelog
v8
  • Added mcmod.info
  • Fixed automation issues
  • Fixed GUI issues (shift clicking)
  • Reworked efficiency vs speed formula
  • Fixed Emerald blocks
  • Added config for default textures
  • House keeping

Spotlights\Videos
VideoMakerGuy

Texture Variations
BM9dp9i.png

Vanilla (Change in config)
OrG8AX4.png

Donations
I put this here in case anyone wants to. Please don't think I'm asking for money. Just having people say they like my mod makes it all worth it. I am currently in college and finding time to mod is difficult. By donating, you show me that you enjoy what I make and want to help me to make better mods. So if you like, feel free to press the button below. Even if it's a penny it shows you want me to continue, which makes a world of difference.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
That is a -lousy- spotlight. Seriously, I don't think I've seen a worse spotlight video ever.

It's an interesting concept. Most people are probably going to use a combination of iron and redstone to increase speed and efficiency, with a diamond and emerald block thrown in as they become available.

It isn't really all -that- attractive a mod when looking at it from the perspective of all the other mods around, but it is a most excellent first modding attempt. It sure beats another Obsidian Tools clone, anyways.

Pauljoda

Jul 29, 2019
That is a -lousy- spotlight. Seriously, I don't think I've seen a worse spotlight video ever.

It's an interesting concept. Most people are probably going to use a combination of iron and redstone to increase speed and efficiency, with a diamond and emerald block thrown in as they become available.

It isn't really all -that- attractive a mod when looking at it from the perspective of all the other mods around, but it is a most excellent first modding attempt. It sure beats another Obsidian Tools clone, anyways.

I know his spotlight isn't perfect. But he tried and maybe if I get him some more views he will grow and become a better video maker. With the idea of other mods, I am looking for a way to make this one compete. This is a low tier furnace I know but I want to have a late game tier that can go head to head with other big mods. I have some ideas in mind, but I am always open to suggestions. I can't tell if you saying its not that attractive comparatively but I'll take it so thank you.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I know his spotlight isn't perfect. But he tried and maybe if I get him some more views he will grow and become a better video maker. With the idea of other mods, I am looking for a way to make this one compete. This is a low tier furnace I know but I want to have a late game tier that can go head to head with other big mods. I have some ideas in mind, but I am always open to suggestions. I can't tell if you saying its not that attractive comparatively but I'll take it so thank you.
Well, your problem here is that you're going to be competing with items like the Induction Furnace in IC2 and such. More to the point, it's a 3 x 3 x 3 multiblock structure, even when it isn't really all that expensive, which means shoehorning it into a build might get a bit troublesome.

A large part of how people will like this will depend on how much automation you can do with it. For example, it it accepts pipes and stuff (which it should, to be honest).

There's going to be some synergy with Factorization. It's got a block that can be adjacent to a furnace and basically instead of fuel, it'll run on factorization power. That'll be really handy with the redstone blocks.

The other thing about this is... well... it doesn't really do anything unique. You can get about the same performance with a 3 x 3 block of regular ol' vanilla furnaces, at least until you are really swimming in iron and redstone. I mean, it's cool, don't get me wrong, but... there's really no reason to include it.

Reactions: Pokefenn

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
You can get about the same performance with a 3 x 3 block of regular ol' vanilla furnaces, at least until you are really swimming in iron and redstone.

This was my thought as well, if I'm going to take up 9 blocks for a furnace, it should do the same thing or more than 9 vanilla furnaces could do in those same 9 blocks.

It's a neat looking mod though, I'll be keeping my eye on it :)

Pauljoda

Jul 29, 2019
Well, your problem here is that you're going to be competing with items like the Induction Furnace in IC2 and such. More to the point, it's a 3 x 3 x 3 multiblock structure, even when it isn't really all that expensive, which means shoehorning it into a build might get a bit troublesome.

A large part of how people will like this will depend on how much automation you can do with it. For example, it it accepts pipes and stuff (which it should, to be honest).

There's going to be some synergy with Factorization. It's got a block that can be adjacent to a furnace and basically instead of fuel, it'll run on factorization power. That'll be really handy with the redstone blocks.

The other thing about this is... well... it doesn't really do anything unique. You can get about the same performance with a 3 x 3 block of regular ol' vanilla furnaces, at least until you are really swimming in iron and redstone. I mean, it's cool, don't get me wrong, but... there's really no reason to include it.

It does accept pipes and the like. Any automation will work. There is a block in the works to provide fuel based on environment. As for the function, yeah there are furnaces. But what I liked about it is the possibilities. Finding a balance between what you need or want. Plus, to me it feels like going back to basics before tech mods made things faster and easier, this adds realism that I enjoy. I want to get it to a point that it can do well with other mods, but still work fine for those avoiding tech mods. Thanks for the input thought, it has helped organize my efforts.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
It does accept pipes and the like. Any automation will work. There is a block in the works to provide fuel based on environment. As for the function, yeah there are furnaces. But what I liked about it is the possibilities. Finding a balance between what you need or want. Plus, to me it feels like going back to basics before tech mods made things faster and easier, this adds realism that I enjoy. I want to get it to a point that it can do well with other mods, but still work fine for those avoiding tech mods. Thanks for the input thought, it has helped organize my efforts.
Oh, I can certainly agree that it does go back to basics, and does so in an interesting way. However, I think you should probably have a few more options to really make it 'modular'.

Right now, you've got four different block types, of which two of them only benefit from a single one. So you've effectively got a sliding scale of iron to redstone depending on if you want more efficiency or more speed. Having a block that lets the furnace auto-eject output to adjacent inventory/pipe would be a great way to help out automation without breaking things. That way you could have a vanilla Hopper feeding into it, and a double-chest it is automatically spitting out into. It's automation, but not necessarily tech-mod automation. Perhaps have a way of having multiple smelting slots? That might be kind of cool.

Reactions: casilleroatr

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Perhaps have a way of having multiple smelting slots? That might be kind of cool.

Changing the multiblock functionality of it would be nice and would make it worth it to build vs normal furnaces I would think...and still keep it away from the tech side of things.

Instead of just having 3x3x3...why not 2x2x2, or 2x3x2, or 3x3x2, or 4x4x4, etc (have a max size of course though...i'd say 4x4x4 at 64 blocks would be a good max size)...i know that would be a bit harder to code, but having it modular like that would also allow you do calculate the total number of blocks making up the furnace and allow that many items to be smelted at once.

Just an idea.

Reactions: ShneekeyTheLost

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
Changing the multiblock functionality of it would be nice and would make it worth it to build vs normal furnaces I would think...and still keep it away from the tech side of things.

Instead of just having 3x3x3...why not 2x2x2, or 2x3x2, or 3x3x2, or 4x4x4, etc (have a max size of course though...i'd say 4x4x4 at 64 blocks would be a good max size)...i know that would be a bit harder to code, but having it modular like that would also allow you do calculate the total number of blocks making up the furnace and allow that many items to be smelted at once.

Just an idea.

Love the ideas behind this mod, I've downloaded it and I will put it to some testing. What are the odds of you adding MORE blocks for boosting the Modular Furnace? Obsidian blocks perhaps as a slight upgrade to cobblestone, but not as good as iron / redstone blocks? Nether Quartz blocks could be used as some type of modifier, maybe even glowstone or netherbrick blocks? LOTS of options you could expand upon.

All in all however I think you have a solid foundation to stick with!

Pauljoda

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, I can certainly agree that it does go back to basics, and does so in an interesting way. However, I think you should probably have a few more options to really make it 'modular'.

Right now, you've got four different block types, of which two of them only benefit from a single one. So you've effectively got a sliding scale of iron to redstone depending on if you want more efficiency or more speed. Having a block that lets the furnace auto-eject output to adjacent inventory/pipe would be a great way to help out automation without breaking things. That way you could have a vanilla Hopper feeding into it, and a double-chest it is automatically spitting out into. It's automation, but not necessarily tech-mod automation. Perhaps have a way of having multiple smelting slots? That might be kind of cool.

I am very interested in adding multiple inputs slots. I am aware that the options right now are slim, however I am working on more ideas. Until now, I have wanted to use vanilla blocks giving them a purpose. Perhaps I will find more vanilla blocks with purposes but it seems I need to focus my efforts on blocks that do various things. One block in particular is your auto eject block, place that anywhere and it will automatically dump into an adjacent inventory. As for different sizes, that may happen in the future, however as of now I am focusing on content. That would be a very large change and I would like to do that later. But I still want to do it using a dynamic code that can sense it's own size. I have ideas in mind

Reactions: Staxed

Pauljoda

Jul 29, 2019
Love the ideas behind this mod, I've downloaded it and I will put it to some testing. What are the odds of you adding MORE blocks for boosting the Modular Furnace? Obsidian blocks perhaps as a slight upgrade to cobblestone, but not as good as iron / redstone blocks? Nether Quartz blocks could be used as some type of modifier, maybe even glowstone or netherbrick blocks? LOTS of options you could expand upon.

All in all however I think you have a solid foundation to stick with!

The odds of adding new blocks is 100%. They are in the works now. Could be as soon as today or tomorrow

Pauljoda

Jul 29, 2019
Added a block that you put in the core, this one makes it so you don't need fuel. As that is a little overpowered it has no crafting recipe yet but the one i'm working with requires a nether star. Is it worth adding to survival or is it just too overpowered? I am thinking that it is. Let me know what you guys think.[DOUBLEPOST=1379996008][/DOUBLEPOST]

With idea in particular in mind, I am making a block that you add anywhere that if you right click with an empty hand you can change where it will try to insert the item, or extract.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
This was my thought as well, if I'm going to take up 9 blocks for a furnace, it should do the same thing or more than 9 vanilla furnaces could do in those same 9 blocks.

It's a neat looking mod though, I'll be keeping my eye on it :)

Slightly off there. It takes the space of 27 furnaces, not 9.

The mod looks interesting though, and I like the idea of modular machines in general, so I might keep an eye on it.

Pauljoda

Jul 29, 2019
Added a block that you put in the core, this one makes it so you don't need fuel. As that is a little overpowered it has no crafting recipe yet but the one i'm working with requires a nether star. Is it worth adding to survival or is it just too overpowered? I am thinking that it is. Let me know what you guys think.[DOUBLEPOST=1379996008][/DOUBLEPOST]

With idea in particular in mind, I am making a block that you add anywhere that if you right click with an empty hand you can change where it will try to insert the item, or extract.

Got the I/O block working. I will upload it soon. It works by shift right clicking with nothing in your hand to switch from input, fuel, and output. To use a hopper on the bottom, set to fuel. Looking into why. Just an option to automate.

SandGrainOne

Jul 29, 2019
I'm also considering a mod that will add a few awesome components to Minecraft, but also useless if added to FTB. That's not going to stop me, but I'm also going to be honest about its limits. My recommendation would be to NOT include it in FTB instead of trying to shoehorn it into some niche.

Pauljoda

Jul 29, 2019
I'm also considering a mod that will add a few awesome components to Minecraft, but also useless if added to FTB. That's not going to stop me, but I'm also going to be honest about its limits. My recommendation would be to NOT include it in FTB instead of trying to shoehorn it into some niche.

I do see it would be difficult to compete. And if it doesn't oh well. Honestly, I only add things because I want them. This mod is exactly what I want and as a mod author I have that freedom. I am thankful for feedback as it really does help. However, when it comes down to it, it is my mod and if I don't like it then it's not worth it. So yeah it probably won't fit well in FTB, but maybe someone out there will find it and really enjoy it. That is all I want as a mod author, I would love to here about your mod though. Who knows, maybe someone will make a mod pack for mods that normally wouldn't make it into packs because of other major mods.

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019

Warning: contains language.

If you can top that...

(Horrible spotlight)

Pauljoda

Jul 29, 2019
Wanted to clear some things up. here is a quick video I made, i'm no video producer so it's just me messing around