1.5.0: Laser drills and prechargers

Crackkoenig

Jul 29, 2019
Version:

What is the bug:
Apparently the laser drill/laser drill precharger from minefactory reloaded does not accept EU from solar panels although all the wikis I have looked at suggests that it should work just fine accepting EU from IC2 machines.

Example from http://ftbwiki.org/Laser_Drill
No matter the number of prechargers, it will take 600,000 MJ, 6,000,000 RF or 1,500,000 EU for each block generated. Since each Laser Drill Precharger can use up to 500 MJ/t, 5,000 RF/t or 1,250 EU/t, the Laser Drill is capped at 2,000 MJ/t, 20,000 RF/t or 5,000 EU/t. In Agrarian Skies each precharger only requires 2,500 RF/t.

Mod & Version:
MineFactoryReloaded-[1.7.10]2.8.0-104

Paste.feed-the-beast.com log:

Can it be repeated:
Yes. Both in multiplayer and in single player

Known Fix:

Reactions: DeathOfTime

Trisscar

Jul 29, 2019
A lot of non-EU based mods have swapped over to just using RF recently (and MJ is nearly gone at this point beyond some parts of Buildcraft and Forestry), you may need to convert it.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Are you certain of your setup? If you replace one of the precharges with say a "Induction Furnace". Whatever could accept the voltage and use it would work. Even if the machine blows up it will work. Just want to make sure the EU is actually making it to the pre-chargers.

Could you post some images of your setup, or a link to a album containing them.

I keep forgetting the laser drills can even take EU. Would simplify my life a lot if I would start to use solar panels instead of Big Reactor turbines. Though of course it would come at the cost of days of crafting. Guess that is the balance thing at work.

Crackkoenig

Jul 29, 2019
I hope that I don't have to convert the energy. Only way to convert from EU to RF is using the electic motor, right?

I have uploaded an image of a simple setup to illustrate it. The macerator is working but the rest is not.
It is also interesting that the IC2 cables aren't even connecting to the prechargers.

Attachments

• Solars.png
    Solars.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 112

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
I hope that I don't have to convert the energy. Only way to convert from EU to RF is using the electic motor, right?

I have uploaded an image of a simple setup to illustrate it. The macerator is working but the rest is not.
It is also interesting that the IC2 cables aren't even connecting to the prechargers.
Thanks for the information. I will go give this some research and might get post about it later.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the information. I will go give this some research and might get post about it later.
Try using minefactory reloaded "rednet energy cables". They seem to have given some sort of result.
2015-10-17_16.25.27.png

The electric engine route would take 50 electric engines, 50 enhanced circuit boards, and 100 bronze electron tubes per laser drill precharger.

It seems that extra utilities may have a route. I made a small mistake and would have to try it again. Had the bat thingy block aimed the wrong way.

Edit 001:
A Energy Transfer Node and Energy pipes from extra utilities seam to also work.

The nice thing about both the rednet cables and the pipe setup is that both are converting the EU to RF themselves. So they will power anything that runs off of RF. Which is pretty damn sweet. Thanks for sending me down this route. I don't know if this is useful for any other modpacks. Still will be awesome in this mod pack. I Finally have a good alternative to Big Reactors for massive power generation.

Thanks.

Edit 002:
I ran some more tests in Infinity. First to see if it worked the same in there. Then to see which system seemed to run the best. I found that the extra utilities hyper energy transfer node hooked up to energy pipes seemed to do the best. It was running the longest though. So I am not absolutely certain. It might have been running a few times faster. Out of the the three systems I had set up it had mined the most items. The progress bar on the Laser miner was going up about 2 per second. While the other setups were only going up about 1 per 2 second.

2015-10-17_17.52.03.png

Edit 003:
Turns out that you don't need the energy pipes on the extra utilities setup. Regular transfer pipes will work. Of course so will anything else that transports RF. The conversion is done at the node.

I am not for sure what the capacity of the transfer pipes and energy nodes are. The pipes were easily transporting 5,240RF/t, which is about what the 5 top tier solar panels that I could connect to each energy node were putting out.

Both the Energy nodes and the Rednet Energy cable use the same conversion rate. 1EU/t = 4RF/t.

It is a really nice passive system. If my calculations are right though it is a extremely expensive one.

2015-10-18_05.55.18.png

I am trying out using IC2 for my power system in the DireWolf20 pack. I began with a solar panel and have been adding power sources as I have the materials. I am using rednet energy cables for the conversion. I had the resources for basic capacitor banks. So have been using those to store energy. I really should have left the solar panels until I was swimming in resources. The generator I hooked up easily beats them. Though the two solar panels are charging the system a little when I am not using it.

Edit 004:
My calculations must be off somewhere. I just looked at the screen shot and it says that both energy nodes maxed out at 5,120. Half the power they should have been putting out. So that might be there cap. I know the energy pipes can handle more then that. When I had both nodes feeding into only one of the capacitory banks it went up to 10,240.

Guess I might have to look into this some more.

Edit 005:
Found out what was going on. The solar panels emitted different RF/t then expected. While the first three tiers of solar panels put out as much energy as expected the fourth tier only puts out half as much as I thought it did..
2015-10-18_07.04.09.png

I also found out that Rednet Energy cables won't interact directly with the Advanced solar panels. They only work with the industrial craft one.

Last edited:

Crackkoenig

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you very much for this information! The Energy Transfer Node seems to work just fine for my setup and I'm glad that I can use this to power my lasers.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you very much for this information! The Energy Transfer Node seems to work just fine for my setup and I'm glad that I can use this to power my lasers.
Your welcome. I am glad to hear that your system is working as desired now. I hope you don't mind that I posted all my finding here. I find them interesting and like sharing them. Since this is a support area though I will most likely stop posting more information as the problem seams to have been worked out.

I am not for sure about energy nodes. I haven't gotten that far yet in my "IC2 power only" playthrough. I did find that the rednet energy cables are extremely versatile. Right now I have two solar panels, a generator, and a geothermal generator feeding into a basic capacitor bank. The energy from it is feeding a sag mill, alloy smeltery, and a metal former. The only power cables I have connecting all that are the rednet ones. All the machines are working fine even though they have different energy system requirements. The part I found most interesting is that the Metal Former didn't explode. Even though I didn't hook up any sort of power regulation to for it. I am wary of this though. It might decide to explode the next time I boot up the game.

The whole power translation thing seems a little buggy. Especially with the rednet power cables. Like the fact they will still power things after you removed the device they received the power from. Also I am unable to get consistent results when trying to figure out how much power is going through the system. Of course there are a lot of variables that I am most likely unaware of.