1.2.5 was special, wasn't it?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dackstrus

Jul 29, 2019
1.2.5 is the only time i ever built a full base, now i can't find anyone to play with, as theres so many mods with settings i really like changed from default ((I love BOP's Volcano biome)).

If i had someone to play with who wouldn't mind hosting and changing some settings, I'd play more often.. maybe finish a base at some point.

fergcraft

Jul 29, 2019
I kind of miss 1.2.5 but since then I have seen some creative mods come out that are testing the limits in the community now a days. The only bad part of 1.2.5 was that a lot of the mods seemed to do the same thing over and over and only a few came out with something new. Now on to the mod API debate I think that if they wanted to support the modding community I think they would be better off working with the forge crew so that everyone's on the same page and would really help mojang with all the technical bits of it. If they can work with some modders for the random crap they add then they should do it with the people who help with making the modded community work. It would be benefitul for all parties involved.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly I'm kind of disappointed by the doom-and-gloom attitude some people are showing in this thread. Everything was better back in the old days, change is bad, Mojang hate us all - really? You sound like disgruntled old men on a park bench! I've yet to see any sort of indication that Mojang is deliberately aiming to regulate and limit what people are allowed to do within Minecraft. Why don't we all just try and keep a positive outlook? ;)

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly I'm kind of disappointed by the doom-and-gloom attitude some people are showing in this thread. Everything was better back in the old days, change is bad, Mojang hate us all - really? You sound like disgruntled old men on a park bench! I've yet to see any sort of indication that Mojang is deliberately aiming to regulate and limit what people are allowed to do within Minecraft. Why don't we all just try and keep a positive outlook? ;)

^
And worse comes to worse, the modding community will probably once again crack the code and work their magic again unless Mojang comes down with a C&D order.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
Bleh, if this discussion is going into modding api, i might as well say how i see it.
(I'm looking at this from a dev point of view, not a player)
I don't trust mojang, i dont believe they know exactly what they are doing all the time.
So, the way how I have been told it will work is just to make modding minecraft "easier" and apparently this will cause a big influx of obsidian tools mods and such.
Personally I think modding has a good "skill cap" or the such, it kinda stops influx of mods that are.... urgh.

But I also think the way how they want mods or "plugins" as they want to call it, will be interesting.
But, i dont like the way how that would work, it just woudnt feel right to me, but meh.

But anyways, I'm paranoid that mojang will break everything and ruin modding/minecraft forever. (Been reading too many books like 1984)

Reactions: dgdas9

Cronos988

Jul 29, 2019

Well, for me, there are several warning signs:
- Minecraft seems to be the only profitable thing Mojang has going right now, and if they ever run into problems, there will be a huge temptation to further monetize it, likely at the expense of free mods.
- Their own proprietary modding API gives Mojang power, and once they have that power, they will want to keep it. Mods that circumvent their control might suddenly look threatening.
- The content they are adding with subsequent updates does not point to the fact that they are accepting mods as a standard part of their game. They seem to keep introducing features that already exist in mods, but in an inferior way, instead of adding new mechanics that would oppen new avenues for the modding community.

OT: Yeah, 1.2.5 was special for me, too. I had initially started playing minecraft in Beta and blew hours upon hours on it. Eventually I was burned out and checked back only for short amounts of time. Played on a Factions server a bit. Then I discovered Technic for 1.2.5. and it was Mind-Blowing. I had used mods before, but the sheer amount of new content was great. I made a small sever with a friend and we went through the entire techtree, great fun. In the end EE2 ruined it with making everything else obsolete, but yeah, good times. The first time playing with FTB was great, too, however.

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013
You people and your ''EE2 is ruination!". So what if I could fly, be invincible, kill everything and tear apart the world for the cost of a few diamond blocks? Also useful Lava/Water amulets were available. Now I sit in dirt and make wood into obsidian because apparently that is balanced but cobble -> bricks isn't. Transmutation table was truly the best feature. Best mod. Yeah Collectors were dumb, but AE + IC2 + Compact Solars is pretty much the same thing.

As for Mojang tyranny, ha ha. Any form of DRM to prevent more APIs will, like all DRM ever made, fail miserably. Really the best thing to do would to eat Forge using vague legal arguments and implement that. I mean Mojang is trying to eat Bukkit.

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
Good times, I really miss that. Things were much more balanced that time.

In fact I have been too bored to really do a good playthrough since 1.3. That was an interestnig time. Now I just start up a game and abandon it.

Reactions: TheLoneWolfling

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
You people and your ''EE2 is ruination!". So what if I could fly, be invincible, kill everything and tear apart the world for the cost of a few diamond blocks? Also useful Lava/Water amulets were available. Now I sit in dirt and make wood into obsidian because apparently that is balanced but cobble -> bricks isn't. Transmutation table was truly the best feature. Best mod. Yeah Collectors were dumb, but AE + IC2 + Compact Solars is pretty much the same thing.

Yea, the Transmutation Table was awesome, but one has to admit that having one flat value sort of breaks a few mods balanced around the concept of a few different kinds of "currency," (namely the specific metals, along with growable resources, et cetera et cetera.) GT before it went psycho was probably a good example of this. TC3's system of using multiple Essences is a good example of an alternative transmutation system, though TC3 doesn't properly allow many transmutations. This is made worse by the fact that shortly after acquiring a DM Hammer, you've pretty much got access to ungodly amounts of just about everything in the ground, so just not having EMC values won't help, you also have to not be too dependent on ores.

Another thing is it makes other mods' infrastructure totally obsolete. Once you have a Collector and possibly a mob farm, which mind you, take a little while but aren't that hard to get, there's no need to set up a Macerator or Recycler. The Compressor's mostly just for progression, the Extractor doesn't offer anything that EE2 can't trump right off the bat, the Massfab's already been replaced. That's most of IC2 already knocked out. Most other mods ran into similar problems. BC and RP2 are excluded from this, given that they're more centred on things other than item processing (BC's for allowing it instead of actually doing it and RP2 is just stuff.)

In short, yes, EE2 was quite well-balanced against itself (which was basically Creative after 5 hours, but meh,) but when you start adding other mods into the mix, it towers over them and dominates the game.

Back to your statement about EE3, I do agree that the way it's going right now isn't the right way, but it's still very much a WIP. Most of EE2's features will make a return in some way or another, though I think Pahimar's planning to make it more balanced around other mods' standards.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Yea, the Transmutation Table was awesome, but one has to admit that having one flat value sort of breaks a few mods balanced around the concept of a few different kinds of "currency," (namely the specific metals, along with growable resources, et cetera et cetera.) GT before it went psycho was probably a good example of this. TC3's system of using multiple Essences is a good example of an alternative transmutation system, though TC3 doesn't properly allow many transmutations. This is made worse by the fact that shortly after acquiring a DM Hammer, you've pretty much got access to ungodly amounts of just about everything in the ground, so just not having EMC values won't help, you also have to not be too dependent on ores.

Another thing is it makes other mods' infrastructure totally obsolete. Once you have a Collector and possibly a mob farm, which mind you, take a little while but aren't that hard to get, there's no need to set up a Macerator or Recycler. The Compressor's mostly just for progression, the Extractor doesn't offer anything that EE2 can't trump right off the bat, the Massfab's already been replaced. That's most of IC2 already knocked out. Most other mods ran into similar problems. BC and RP2 are excluded from this, given that they're more centred on things other than item processing (BC's for allowing it instead of actually doing it and RP2 is just stuff.)

In short, yes, EE2 was quite well-balanced against itself (which was basically Creative after 5 hours, but meh,) but when you start adding other mods into the mix, it towers over them and dominates the game.

Back to your statement about EE3, I do agree that the way it's going right now isn't the right way, but it's still very much a WIP. Most of EE2's features will make a return in some way or another, though I think Pahimar's planning to make it more balanced around other mods' standards.
Just listening to Pahimar's ideas regarding DynEMC make me think that it will be a LOT better balanced than EE2 was. I'll admit, it was unbalanced as hell; red matter tools + quantum armour + Swiftwolf's Rending Gale was an awesome combination. Doesn't mean it wasn't fun, though. I liked being able to turn otherwise useless crap like rotten meat into something I could actually USE, like building materials or coal. Once again, rotten meat is just something that's sitting in my AE system doing fuck all besides taking up space and, being anal as I am, I can't bring myself to destroy it. Least I can build things with cobble. Since creosote got a boost in 1.6.2, its not even worth it to use it for methane production, since creosote now beats methane for boiler heat. Rotten meat is worse than useless, its a waste of bloody space whose only current use is to be canned into a single tin of food.

I can't wait to see what EE3 and DynEMC can do, especially if it makes bullshit like rotten meat into something I can at least turn into something properly useful.

Reactions: Lord Wumbo

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
that looks like one of my nightmares...

I meant smelter by the way. Just edited my original post. Also, that means you are about to meet someone who will have a great influence on your life and you should avoid making large purchases for the month of october.

Reactions: Whovian

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
I meant smelter by the way. Just edited my original post. Also, that means you are about to meet someone who will have a great influence on your life and you should avoid making large purchases for the month of october.
and since when they have fortune for dreams about cross-mod interaction?

Reactions: dgdas9

dlord

Jul 29, 2019
John Siracusa, a well known writer in Ars Technica, sums up my gripes with regards to Minecraft mods in one of his podcast episodes.

You can listen to that episode here.

My opinions:

Mojang needs to embrace THIS SIDE OF THE COMMUNITY. And they need to embrace it NOW! I know some Mojang devs (Grum?) interact with the modders, but I don't think that's enough

From the technical side, for me the 1.3 update was the best thing to happen to minecraft modding. No longer do you need to develop 2 versions of the same mod (SSP/SMP).

I was hoping to see mods stick to a particular version of Minecraft for a long while, but cpw once stated during one of the recent Direwolf20 videos (and somebody please correct me if I'm wrong) that it's not going to make things easier if modders decide to stick to a minecraft version for a while. What's the reason behind it? Maybe a mod developer would care to comment, and I would love to see a discussion as to why the modded minecraft community can't stick to a particular Minecraft version for a year or 2.

matpower123

Jul 29, 2019
I think 1.2.5 was my favorite time in modded MC,I usually started with crappy mods until I saw Technic,and this opened me a lot of new possibilities,I liked EE2 crazy stuff,it was fun to transmutate crap into useful stuff,TC3(at least right now,TC4 sees to fix it)isn't even near TC2 in amount of stuff,we got 4 tiers of research,monoliths was a genius thing :)
IC2 was a big player there,BC+LP could do the most powerful sorting system+autocrafting,RP2 wasn't buggy/laggy and I used tubes for big builds in SMP(Without LP),Doggy Talents was a classic to makes wolfs/dogs more useful,I would use a dog in 1.2.5
1.2.5 was one of my favorite times in Modded MC,I even did a modpack for playing 1.2.5 again and it's fun,rediscovering EE2 and TC2 :)
About the Mod API:
I think we wouldn't see this,1.7 snapshot and no signal about working in the API right now.
If I was Mojang I would ask to Forge Team to enter in Mojang and do the API.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
From the technical side, for me the 1.3 update was the best thing to happen to minecraft modding. No longer do you need to develop 2 versions of the same mod (SSP/SMP).

From the technical side, it was the best thing to happen for the reasons you pointed out ... and it was also the worst thing. It broke pretty much every mod in existence. It completely obliterated a few brilliant mods (Nerd-boy discontinued Battlegear because the technical details of the update made it pretty much impossible to continue and people thought the same would happen to RP2, and I'm sure other examples exist.) In short, it made making new mods easier, but it forced old mods to start about from scratch on the source code level.

Coins.

Reactions: SpitefulFox