Open 1.2.1 Memory leak above the JVM set maximum

Proctor

Jul 29, 2019
Summary of the problem 1.2.1 Memory leak above the JVM set maximum

Pack Version 1.1.0

What is the bug? I start FTB Beyond and via F3 I've a reported usage of 3.7 Gig / 4.7
The FTB java process itself goes above 8 Gig of memory and doesn't stop allocating more and more memory

Mod & Version FTB Beyond 1.2.1

Link to log file http://paste.feed-the-beast.com/view/67e5de54

Is it repeatable? Yes and on other PCs also

Known Fix unknown

Z

Zeronidus

I would also like to add some input as I've been trying to stamp this bug myself for over a week now and this thread is the only thing close enough to people with a similar problem.

I'm still using version 1.0.1 and the bug seems to be client side specifically for myself, as the server never really goes past 2.2GB (set to 7GB max) memory usage but the client hogs the remaining 14GB of RAM and then the paging file until one of the mods kills the client due to having nowhere to allocate memory. I also tried using the JProfiler through MultiMC and that gave me different memory results to both the F3 tool and Task Manager's memory usage values.

The reason I choose not to update the server to the latest FTB Beyond is because I didn't want to start a new world unless something game breaking occurs. The logic that "if something isn't broke then don't try to fix it". I'd heard about the Agricraft quad-caching bug and attempted to rectify that specifically so I can rule that out. I also use Noppes Custom NPCs and have ruled that possibility out by removing it and again the server has no issues with it if it's installed or not. I'm using the March 17 update of the NPC mod if anyone is interested in knowing that.

Z

Zeronidus

I just want to add an update to this problem. I have managed to solve it through the FTB launcher. I thought it was a bit odd that there were 2 different versions of the 1.8.0_121 64-bit. It looks like one of them uses javaw.exe and the other uses java.exe. For some reason booting with java.exe removes the memory leak. I hope this helps other people who have this issue.

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
Can you hit upload log button and give us link to see which JVM is working and which is not.

Z

Zeronidus

Sorry I'm new to the forums, never really had a problem until now. Which log file do you need? Is it one of the FML-Client-log files or the FTB one?

The FTB log reports the following:

[22:42:29] [DEBUG] MainHelpers.printInfo:40: System's default JVM: (This is not always used to launch MC)
[22:33:51] [DEBUG] MainHelpers.printInfo:41: Java version: 1.8.0_121
[22:33:51] [DEBUG] MainHelpers.printInfo:42: Java vendor: Oracle Corporation
[22:33:51] [DEBUG] MainHelpers.printInfo:43: Java home: C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_121
[22:33:51] [DEBUG] MainHelpers.printInfo:44: Java specification: Java Virtual Machine Specification version: 1.8 by Oracle Corporation
[22:33:51] [DEBUG] MainHelpers.printInfo:46: Java vm: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM version: 25.121-b13 by Oracle Corporation
[22:33:51] [INFO] JavaFinder.parseJavaVersion:175: The FTB Launcher has found the following Java versions installed:
[22:33:51] [INFO] JavaFinder.parseJavaVersion:177: Java Version: 1.8.0_121 sorted as: 1.8.0_121 64 Bit Java at : C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_121\bin\java.exe
[22:33:51] [INFO] JavaFinder.parseJavaVersion:177: Java Version: 1.8.0_121 sorted as: 1.8.0_121 64 Bit Java at : C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_121\bin\java.exe
[22:33:51] [INFO] JavaFinder.parseJavaVersion:204: Preferred: Java Version: 1.8.0_121 sorted as: 1.8.0_121 64 Bit Java at : C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_121\bin\java.exe

When Default is selected in the launcher's advanced options it boots up javaw.exe. When I change it to one of the 1.8.0_121 versions it boots up java.exe. In both cases the FML client log reports:

[21:52:31] [main/INFO] [FML/]: Java is Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM, version 1.8.0_121, running on Windows 7:amd64:6.1, installed at C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_121

C

Crazierinzane

is this what causes the game to hang for a second every 15-30 seconds?

Z

Zeronidus

is this what causes the game to hang for a second every 15-30 seconds?

I don't get any problems with the game hanging. What we're dealing with is a memory leak which eats up more RAM than Minecraft is allowed to use. When it's done taking the RAM and paging file it crashes the game because there's nothing left to take.

C

Crazierinzane

Oh. I don't think I've run into that issue. The hanging issue I mentioned does get progressively worse the longer the client is running so I thought that might be same.

Z

Zeronidus

Ah I see. Everything works fine here until the RAM fills up. You might be better off starting a new post. I think my problem is fairly unique because none of my friends or my server runs into problems it appears to specifically be my machine.

thunderbolt_6

Jul 29, 2019
Ah I see. Everything works fine here until the RAM fills up. You might be better off starting a new post. I think my problem is fairly unique because none of my friends or my server runs into problems it appears to specifically be my machine.
i have the same issue with ram eating, ill try later the java.exe version instead.