[1.18.1] Create Minecart Contraption Crash

Flexico

Dec 15, 2012
Yesterday I spent most of the day playing MC with the Create mod (among others) but at one point when I clicked on a minecart contraption with a wrench to pick it up, the game just up and crashed. I tried reloading it, but as soon as the world started to render, it crashed again. I've spent a few hours fiddling with NBT editors and so forth (Amulet doesn't load my 1.18 worlds, even though I have version 0.8.15, which claims to support 1.18 worlds), but have completely failed to rectify the problem or even figure out what actually happened.

Here's my Forge log: https://pastebin.com/zWv72Cmc
My mod collection: https://www.mediafire.com/file/nah3pnakikfqehi/1.18.1_Modpack.zip/file
My world (I trimmed most of the region files since it was 400+MB): https://www.mediafire.com/file/zq0q8pp2il4pd6y/Survival_2021-12-13_%285%29_--_TRIMMED.zip/file

I was going to post a bug report on the Create Github, but I haven't found this to be repeatable; it just seems like a fluke, so... *shrug* Help please!

EDIT
Oh, I forgot to paste in the error the launcher gave me:
The game crashed whilst rendering entity in world
Error: java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke "java.util.ArrayList.stream()" because "this.keys" is null
Exit Code: -1

Last edited:

Gentlewatcher

Feb 7, 2022
This isn't a bug, if you make a minecart contraption (even within the block limit) too big with respect to the nbt tags, then you cause this kind of issue. To fix go into the world save file edit your player data, inventory, and take out the minecart contraption.

This is the same as "book ban" or "shulker ban".

Flexico

Dec 15, 2012
This isn't a bug, if you make a minecart contraption (even within the block limit) too big with respect to the nbt tags, then you cause this kind of issue. To fix go into the world save file edit your player data, inventory, and take out the minecart contraption.

This is the same as "book ban" or "shulker ban".
1. I tried editing my level.dat in NBTExplorer, but there was no minecart contraption item in it, so the item must be in the world as an entity.
2. The thing wasn't very big at all! Block-wise or NBT-wise. It was just a furnace engine with a few cogs and a belt that I used for portable power.
3. If it's a deliberate feature, they should have it display an explanation of what happened, rather than just have the game crash with an extremely vague error message.
4. After about a week from when I posted this (3 weeks ago now), I gave up trying to fix it and just restored from a backup I made 12 hours before the crash. (I have about 10 years experience modding Minecraft, so I am well aware of the importance of making regular redundant backups.) I had done a lot of mining in that time, acquiring 72 diamonds among other things, but after spawning those in on the backed-up world, I really hadn't lost much progress.

I still think this is an issue that needs to be looked at, but the Create mod's Github page is about as crowded as New York traffic, so I'm going to just continue my backup strategy and let someone else deal with it.