(1.12.2)(Tech)Blood and Steel 2

MrMonsterGuy18

Oct 3, 2016
The Grave
I’m going to be making a sequel to my 1.10.2 modpack called “Blood and Steel” the sequel will obviously be called “Blood and Steel 2.” My goal with Blood and Steel 2 is to make it harder than the first without reducing it to mindless grinding.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I guess that depends; what would questing give you? Do you want to guide players to where they need to get to? Would hints in a guide book be better? Will there be one technological path they need to go down sequentially, or will they have multiple routes to reach a given end? You want to avoid quests put in for their own sake, in an ideal world, unless one of the aims is to just get people to explore all mods to some extent.

Reactions: MrMonsterGuy18

MrMonsterGuy18

Oct 3, 2016
The Grave
The main purpose would be to guide players. I haven't thought of using a guide book, as I do not know of any mods that fulfil that role

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
FTB utilities can be used as quite a nice guide book. For examples, look at Age of Engineering, or my pack, A Polychromatic World. Guide books can be a bit more flexible than quest books, which is nice.

MrMonsterGuy18

Oct 3, 2016
The Grave
Well, I am considering adding Better Questing and using limited lives. If all the quest book gave you was lives then it would fill the role of a tip book with limited lives turned off, but if you want it would give you a way to have limited lives. Thoughts?

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
That’s interesting - so it would be a guide in the literal sense without hardcore, in that it has hints and tips to guide you, but with hardcore on it would have extra stuff for obtaining more lives? I like that!

MrMonsterGuy18

Oct 3, 2016
The Grave
I’ve been thinking about turning this pack into a wasteland type pack, similar to Regrowth. No ores in the world, but I’d include ways to get them. Any thoughts, advice, or questions

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Definitely sounds like a fun idea - a wasteland pack in a similar vein to Regrowth but for 1.12 would be pretty awesome!

Are you looking to make the mechanics similar to your original blood and steel? And if so, what were the mechanics for that?

With a name like Blood & Steel, I can imagine it being a tech pack but with a Running Red sort of feel; though blood magic is (as the name says) magically based. Hmm. Evilcraft also uses blood for a number of things, but feels a little less magical (as long as you remove things like the broomstick :p). Thing is, blood contains iron, so there could be some sort of connectivity there - perhaps blood in a Tinker's smeltery could be processed somehow to extract the iron, and that's the start of your tech? I'm getting a bit fixated on that theme, sorry.

Imagine if a mob with copper based blood (molluscs, which includes squid, and arthropods, which includes spiders) could be processed for a different blood in the smeltery or some other thing to get copper instead. Perhaps tin and gold are panned for in rivers using strainers or something? *shrugs* I'm just spitballing really, but there's a couple of bizarro ideas for you ;)

Chlorophyll has similarities to haemoglobin, but has magnesium in the centre instead of iron. Magnesium can come from things like dolomite and magnesite ore, but you could lump that under limestone, or something. Imagine if you had to make the green stuff to bring life back with trees, chemically! That's a bit too bonkers.

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
Wasteland type packs can be nice, and I'd say try out sky resources. It's highly customizable, so you can add and remove recipes at any time. Makes it a bit less magical than the way Regrowth did it.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Wasteland type packs can be nice, and I'd say try out sky resources. It's highly customizable, so you can add and remove recipes at any time. Makes it a bit less magical than the way Regrowth did it.
I was wondering about sky resources myself! It still seems a bit magical from what I’ve seen of modern skyblock 3 (which is fairly minimal) but the fact that it takes life to make things corresponds quite well to that whole theme! Hmm. Imagine having to use something like a congealed blood block on the bottom and then some sort of item placed on top to correspond to an “iron extractor”, maybe something to burn away the organic part, and then you do your thing and boom - iron ingot. Or something.

Whatever you go with thematically, something as customisable as sky resources sounds like a must - just because the name says sky, that doesn’t mean you’re restricted to skyblocks after all!

MrMonsterGuy18

Oct 3, 2016
The Grave
Definitely sounds like a fun idea - a wasteland pack in a similar vein to Regrowth but for 1.12 would be pretty awesome!

Are you looking to make the mechanics similar to your original blood and steel? And if so, what were the mechanics for that?

With a name like Blood & Steel, I can imagine it being a tech pack but with a Running Red sort of feel; though blood magic is (as the name says) magically based. Hmm. Evilcraft also uses blood for a number of things, but feels a little less magical (as long as you remove things like the broomstick :p). Thing is, blood contains iron, so there could be some sort of connectivity there - perhaps blood in a Tinker's smeltery could be processed somehow to extract the iron, and that's the start of your tech? I'm getting a bit fixated on that theme, sorry.

Imagine if a mob with copper based blood (molluscs, which includes squid, and arthropods, which includes spiders) could be processed for a different blood in the smeltery or some other thing to get copper instead. Perhaps tin and gold are panned for in rivers using strainers or something? *shrugs* I'm just spitballing really, but there's a couple of bizarro ideas for you ;)

Chlorophyll has similarities to haemoglobin, but has magnesium in the centre instead of iron. Magnesium can come from things like dolomite and magnesite ore, but you could lump that under limestone, or something. Imagine if you had to make the green stuff to bring life back with trees, chemically! That's a bit too bonkers.
I’ve got a plan for blood ;).

Alright, will check Sky Resources 2 out. Anyone know of any good mods for making wastelands, and of any to change what items drop?

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Unfortunately, the one used in Regrowth (Steve’s Barren Lands) was made specifically FOR Regrowth, so I don’t think it’s available. Nor am I sure about item drops, sorry :(

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
Biometweaker can make wastelands, theoretically. The COFH mods should help with configuring ores. You might be able to change item drops with one of the loot table tweaking mods, although I have no clue how those work.