1.0.1: Character losing conciousness?

Trisscar

Jul 29, 2019
Version:

What is the bug:
Suspect this may actually be part of a mod, but as I've found no reference to it anywhere online, and it has no indicator as to what it is in game or in the console, not sure what else to do with it really.

Occasionally a darker ring appears around my field of view, as if my character is close to blacking out. It pulses for a moment or two, then slowly clears up. My fps also declines a bit till it is gone.

I've been messing around with all four magic mods (Witchery, Botania, Blood Magic, and Thaumcraft), and I do remember Thaumcraft's book mentioning something about side effects of researching "forbidden" things. However, the only one of those I've done is the research one, and that is termed as "mostly harmless", causing me to believe this likely isn't the source.

Mod & Version:

Paste.feed-the-beast.com log:

Can it be repeated:
Every once in a while it happens, though more frequently lately.

Known Fix:

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Yeah it is a warp effect from Thaumcraft. I did the same research mastery that added warp. The effect I get is that darkening of the screen for a few seconds and the sound a racing heartbeat. To this day I regret taking even that one bit of warp. Overall I don't mind the principle of going through warp effects as long as there was a way to get rid of it in the long wrong (give me a goal to work toward). But, most warp is final and you will always have it. So in the end I am very disappointed with this new direction Thaumcraft has taken. I'll sill play the parts I can but I feel that I am being denied the stuff I really would like just because I don't want the warp.

Trisscar

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, most of these sound awesome and I like the general themes and design. But I agree, permanent warp should not be a common thing. Or at very least it should be removable, albiet with difficulty. Also the book itself doesn't really indicate that the permanent stuff always comes from any forbidden research, and it should.
I think this still may be a bug however, as this particular effect;
Deadly Gaze: The message "Your vision becomes strange and grim" is displayed and your screen will get black borders and a slight grey tint. Any player or creature not behind a block that can be seen on the screen of the player that has the effect will be stricken with the Wither effect.
matches what I've seen, though it hasn't happened while I was looking at something else "living". But it also hasn't displayed any messages in my chat at all, or in the console. That may be a bug with the mod itself though.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
OK a little research on the web netted me this little tidbit. One of the warp effects is headaches. This one just darkens the screen as we have both seen. No other displayed message or other effect like wither either. This sounds like what we have with the minimal warp we took by doing the advanced research.

Trisscar

Jul 29, 2019
Oooh, ok. Yeah, that makes a lot more sense tbh. XD
Still annoying as hell though, kinda wish there was something I could do to even temp mitigate it.

siggy313

Jul 29, 2019
Its also probably worth noting that, if you're willing to modify your configs, there is a way to turn all warp effects off. Just set "wuss_mode=true".
This is not me calling you a wuss or trying to troll, this is a legit setting which the mod author named wuss mode. Its under "wherever your ftb directory is\direwolf20_17\minecraft\config\Thaumcraft.cfg". Assuming you also have cheats on or enter Creative Mode, you can also enter a command to reduce warp levels. I think its something like "/thaum warp (player) (set/add) (amount to set it to or add to it) (perm/temp)". If you do not specify perm (for permanent warp) or temp (for temporary warp, which I believe is what you gain from crafting some forbidden items), it will default to perm warp.

So, to set Siggy313's permanent warp to 0 (the starting, base value), the command is "/thaum warp Siggy313 set 0".

On a side note, Purifying Soap is (I believe) capable of reducing permanent warp, though with a small chance. Exactly how small, I do not know, and I also don't know if there is really a way of showing if it has reduced it. Being in purifying fluid (what you get when you throw bath salts into water) increases the chance.

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
If you do not specify perm (for permanent warp) or temp (for temporary warp, which I believe is what you gain from crafting some forbidden items), it will default to perm warp.

Don't forget there are three types of warp: temporary, normal and permanent. So without PERM or TEMP it defaults to normal.

(The difference between normal and permanent is that the purifying soap can only remove normal.)

Trisscar

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I would do the bath salts thing, but currently I've researched just about everything I can and the picture I assume represents it refuses to connect to anything or regain it's color.
If it's only unlocked by having a certain amount of warp, after me already having the headaches, and now the secrets effect due to accidentally clicking on the bone wand core, I'm going to be slightly annoyed. XD

Jul 29, 2019
yeah i have done all the research and i dont get that one instead i get some of the really nasty ones such as sun scorned :p also you need eldritch research tab to unlock bath salts which means you need a lot of warp and then you have a random chance of discovering the eldritch tab during a warp effect

Trisscar

Jul 29, 2019
Seriously. So I need to get more into the magic equivalent of drugs, to figure out how to combat the effects I already have. Because of course I wouldn't want to get rid of them till I have MORE of the already annoying stuff, that wouldn't make any sense.
#sarcasmOP

M

Minerrockss

I got the same thing but in chat it said
what was that noise? Something is behind you.
yeah